PDA

View Full Version : 250 to 350 in 68

NJVanner68
03-20-2002, 01:38 AM
I am looking at maybe putting a 350 or 305 in my 68 can anyone help in what mods may be needed and where i would get motormounts and if it is worth it.
I have a 68 3/4 108 and the motor that is in there I think its a 250 needs to be rebuilt I would love to turn the van in to an automatic but not sure if the 250 would give me the power. I am pretty new here and all help would be welcome. This van Is getting restored and this is the next project on my list.

Chris

------------------
NJVanner68
My Van Site (http://www.njdj.com/vanner)

SurfCat
03-20-2002, 12:07 PM
man! you van is sweet! still has the original passenger seat huh? right on!
SurfCat

Vanner68
03-20-2002, 07:36 PM
V8's will drop right in, motor mounts are still available at any auto parts store. Issues? Well, cooling is a big one. Do you have the crossflow radiator with the inline brass tank over the conventional downflow top and bottom tank radiator? If you have the crossflow, get the 4 row core installed and you'll be ok. You can put a high efficiency 3/8" 4 row core in the downflow radiator and run a mild 350, you may need electric fans though.

Tnicean
03-29-2002, 07:07 PM
Hi VAnner 68,
So that's the kind of radiator I have. I have the little brass tank. My van was originally a 307. It is now a 283. I am going to take the radiator to a radiator shop. I don't know too much about what to ask for. Do I just ask to have it recored?

leadfoot
03-29-2002, 08:00 PM
if your tanks are ok then you ask for a "recore" they'll use your tanks from the radiator and solder it together
true radiator guys are growing fewer
now all the new ones are aluminum and have plastic tanks (guess what happens to those when the long term expands and contracts the plastic to metal seams)messy messy
check around pick someone who knows what the hell they are doing -wish you luck
VAN~ON