PDA

View Full Version : 65 Rearend Swap!!!***!!!

Fluxus
01-25-2002, 12:59 PM
Heya all. It looks like my rearend is toast. Sad, I know. Can any of you gurus out there tell me about the most convenient bolt in? I have a 71 el camino with a 10 bolt rear, but it sure looks like a complex swap that would not be straightforward really. The el camino rear is roughly five inches narrower as well, although I remember reading on this site that someone has one on their van. I need to get this puppy on the road asap, so let me know if you can think of anything.!!!

Thanks much!

ahighdiver
01-25-2002, 03:18 PM
If you are sure that the housing is shot then replace it all. If the innerds are all that are bad then have a reputable shop replace the gears and bearings. You will not regret it.
HD.

solid side 65
01-25-2002, 10:42 PM
Where are you referencing your axle width measurements?

I swapped a 72 Elco 12 bolt rear axle under my 65 no door. The track width is 1 3/4" narrower than the stock van axle in a drum to drum comparison. All the GM 68-72 A body rear axles, Chevelles, Elco, GTO etc, are the same width. The earlier A bodies, 64-67, are one addional inch narrower. To swap axles you need to remove the shock and spring mounts from both axles. Place the new axle under the van on the van spring mounts and U bolts with the tires on the ground. Center the axle, set the pinion angle then tack weld the spring and shock mounts to the axle. We found it easier to remove the axle and do the final welding in a standing position. Your driveshaft may need a different rear U joint.

No, it isn't a true bolt in. You may want to follow ahighdivers advise and get your present axle rebuilt if the housing is good.

Fluxus
01-27-2002, 05:39 PM
Thanks much Solidside.

Guess I'll do some thinking on it. Swapping the el camino seems fun, but I'm not sure fun is what I want right now, I just want a running van.

Thanks again

solid side 65
01-27-2002, 07:38 PM
I went with the 'A' body rear axle mostly because I wanted a narrower rear axle without tubbing the wheel wells. I did a lot of measuring before doing the swap. That's why I wasn't greedy and didn't go with a 64-67 'A' body axle. I've had a couple of these vans, 10 and 12 bolts, sticks and autos from the factory. They all have had a noisy stock rear ends IMO. A side benefit of the 'A' axle swap is the reduced rear brake lock up. I thought the swap was easy and accomplished my goals but I had access to a good welder and some help and encouragement.

Fluxus
01-29-2002, 12:58 PM
Well, there are advantages to doing the swap, so I am considering it... BUT...

Does anyone know what (besides a van rearend) will bolt in?

Thanks again.

Flaming_Moe
01-31-2002, 02:58 PM
Another solution might be to go ahead and get a narrower rear and get spacers, I got a set of billet spacers for my 74k5 blazer from preformance wheel, and they are great. It doesn't look like a duck going down the road anymore. Austin