PDA

View Full Version : power to the coil!

surf'van safari
02-01-2001, 11:13 PM
On my 65' I've got a 250ci, all basically stock. the lead wire that supplies power to my coil is coming from a screw post off my starter. It's only hot when i turn on the key. It doesn't provide a full 12 volts like it would if (for instance)it came straight from the battery. It seems like 4 or 5 volts. does all this sound right? I always thought the coil wire came straight from the ignition switch. thanks for any input!!

JD
02-02-2001, 01:17 AM
When you are starting the engine you should have 12 volts and after it is running you should have about 9 volts..not sure on your van exactly what reduces the voltage..some have ballast resistors or resistor wire..does it run?..how well?.......JD.......

painterchris
02-02-2001, 07:32 AM
Your van should have 2 wires feeding the coil. One comes from the R terminal on the starter. The other one comes from the ignition, i think. I can't remember which one is which exactly, but one of the wires provides 12V when you are cranking the engine. The other provides 9 or 10 volts after the engine is started. You may have 1 wire that comes frome the R terminal on the starter and goes to the coil and one wire that comes from the ignition switch and goes to the R terminal on the starter.

If you want to make your life easier, track down an HEI distributor from the late 70's and replace the old breaker points distributor you have now. Then, replace the 2 wires that go to the distributor with regular wires, so that they both provide 12 volts all the time. Now you don't have to adjust breaker points anymore. Some people like to keep their vans all original, but if your van has a 250, I don't think it's original anyway.

Later,
Andy.

surf'van safari
02-02-2001, 07:00 PM
thanks for the replies. The reason I asked the question above is because i've been having trouble fouling out plugs. I just had my carb rebuilt, a monojunk...oops-monojet,by a reputable company and it's still doing it with new plugs. my original theory is ..if I'm not getting enough juice to the coil, it can't amplify enough power to make a sufficient spark, leaving unburnt gas in the cylinders. if the positive wire going to the coil is supposed to come from the starter solenoid (looking at the back of the solenoid, the coil wire is attached to a screw post near the 8 o-clock position) than I'll rule that out as the culprit. could i have to much fuel pressure? thanks guys

ahighdiver
02-19-2001, 03:19 PM
I have 65 and a simular issue. I replaced the coil because it was leaking and the plugs because they were carbon fouling. I rebuilt the carb but it still runs rough and rich at idle. By process of elimination the only thing left is low spark but I have not had the system tested on a engine analizer.
Please email me when you solve you problem.

David.