PDA

View Full Version : Alternator Conversion

Lurchnred
02-26-2001, 09:59 PM
My 64 has been changed over to a late 250 with hei & an alternator.Having problems charging.Installed a tested good alternator with no luck.I traced the wires, + on back going to starter-batt terminal.The large red red wire on the 2-wire plug going to 12 volt source in fuse box the small wire went to nothing.Any ideas.

------------------
Joe

Yeggster
02-26-2001, 11:00 PM
My way is just to get rid of the altenator and drop in a one wire.

It makes life so simple......one wire to the batery or starter DONE.

DroolOnTap
02-27-2001, 12:45 AM
One wire ?
What is that and who makes it ???
I am very interseted considering I just bought a new GM alternater and I have not installed it yet ...
The idea of one sounds great to me ...

Thanks Jim

Vanner68
02-27-2001, 03:36 PM
GM alt hookup is easy. The two wire connector on the side has a large and smal wire. the small wire is for the idiot light, and the larger wire can be hooked directly to the output stud on the back, which in turn goes to the battery. Simple!

prostreet65
02-27-2001, 09:18 PM
That's how I've always done mine too, and they seem to work fine. I think the "one-
wire" alternator works the same but they
run the wire inside and eliminate the plug.
Just make sure if you want to do this you
use an internally regulated alternator, it
will have a plug like this: -- -- (the prongs
lined up with each other). The externally
regulated kind has a plug like this: ll (prongs next to each other, small square plug)

painterchris
02-27-2001, 09:47 PM
You may have a problem with your voltage regulator, especially if it is a cheap one. I went thru 3 voltage regulators in a year in my 65. The original one died. I put in a used one that worked for a month. Then, I put in a new one from Auto Zone that didn't work. I finally shelled out $35 for a quality voltage regulator from a reputable local parts distributor. I haven't had any problems since.

There is a way to test if your voltage regulator is bad. It involves disconnecting the plug to the regulator and shorting 2 of the plug terminals together. If your voltage at the battery jumps up, then you need a new regulator. Problem is, I can't remember which two terminals you are supposed to connect. Sorry.
LAter,
Andy.

Lurchnred
02-27-2001, 10:17 PM
Thanks everyone.I was on the right track.Just needed a little feedback from you oldie freaks to be sure.For some reason I find myself loving this site more&more everyday!

------------------
Joe