PDA

View Full Version : side mirrors

painterchris
02-18-2002, 05:27 PM
Hey everyone,

I've been super-motivated by all the nice weather in Georgia lately to work on my 64 panel van. I am stripping all of the old paint off and smoothing out some of the body ripples. It will never be perfect, but I want to clean it up some and get it painted early this summer. There is a lot more bondo under the paint than I realized and there are dozens of dents (small and large) that I can't fix. Nonetheless, I would be much happier with it if it had a nice solid paint job on it.

What's my point? Well, I don't like the side mirrors it has on it and I'd like to put something on it that looks a little cleaner. I was thinking of putting on some truck mirrors similar to the one's on Roger Moyles' 66 van. I figured that the mounting bracket could be modified to fit over the original mirror mounts on the van. Problem is, it seems like the mirrors would be too far back and would be in the way. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this? I want large mirrors because I drive it every day, but the california style mirrors tend to get rusty really fast (around the bolts and hardware). I also don't really want to drill MORE holes in the doors. I have enough trouble trying to fill the pre-existing holes.

LAter,
Andy.

AzDon
02-21-2002, 10:58 PM
Steve Herzig's green 64 van has the stock low, post-mount mirrors. You could use that style with larger square heads OR you could fabricate a plate-and-post for each side that would accept the square-streamlined heads that have the mounting stud on bottom center(usually mounted on a hoop). The mirrors you referred to are on the shelf at Pep Boys or Checker and would look great also!

pat69chevan
02-22-2002, 09:47 PM
hey painterchris, if you dont mind me dropping you a little knowledge, i would like to pass on a little info that i have that could help you with your bodywork project. i recently started stripping my van down in spots to see the volume of bondo that i am working with. i use to get discouraged when it came to doing body work until i work in the auto body class at the high school where i work. first off, as of dents, about 90% of the dents should be removable. i have noticed that alot of people like to break out the dent puller and call it a day. i tell anyone who wants to work on their van themselves, invest in a body tool kit. it should contain two body hammers,and also dollies and blocks.
it is hard to explain to someone how to properly use these tools without showing them, but if you got any body work questions, let me know, i will do my best to find the proper answer for the question.

later

pat

bellvan
02-22-2002, 10:18 PM
pat`s got the right idea,as body filler
or fiberglass has its place,if done right. good metal work is the key to a proper job.
in the days of computers....ect,its great to see someone like pat incoraging the art of body work these days.its truly an art.
sadly (thanks to the insurance "monopoly"
and the EPA)that art is no longer respected.
THUMBS UP ,PAT
Take care,have fun
Rusty

painterchris
02-23-2002, 12:19 AM
PAt,
Most of the dents are very shallow and could be taken care of with some filler. There are a few major OOPS spots, however. One is a large dent on the front end above the bowtie emblem that needs to be hammered out. The problem is getting something behind it to help pop it out. The other major problem area is a deep gash down the driver's side panel. The scrape is just below floor level on the rocker. So, to fix it, I assume, I'd have to cut out some of the rocker panel backing, hammer out the scrape, then weld a piece back in to cover the hole I made. The real problem is that where the scrape hit the frame support near the rear wheel well, it buckled the support and mangled the panel badly (just above floor level). Hammering that out would have to be a 2-man job, unless my arms grow about 3 feet overnight. If I could fix those dents, the rest of my problems would seem minor. There are some other major dings, but those 2 are the most difficult to fix. MAybe if we both make it to the rally in Tennessee, you can give me some advice.

LAter,
Andy.

sambowie
02-23-2002, 02:34 PM
painterchris,
I think if your gonna go with any mirror, Go with the type like the van on this page. Good vision, and good looks too.

Joey Kluck

leadfoot
02-23-2002, 03:09 PM
got em on mine can see great!
VAN~ON http://communities.msn.com/1969chevyvan

TurboVan
02-24-2002, 04:26 AM
I don't envy you, and I know how you feel.
TacoVan has one of those deep gashes (and plenty of those dent-puller-call-it-a-day holes), not to mention a floor that looks like swiss cheese.
The proper way to fix that stuff is to work on it from the front side, not with a dent puller, but by spot welder/slide hammer, and plasma cutter to cut out the really bad parts and mig welding-in repair panels. That way you don't stretch or warp the metal, and you don't have to worry about those double-walled areas.
Unfortunately, that stuff is all expensive!
TV