PDA

View Full Version : Kingpins

drew87
05-03-2001, 11:29 AM
I am having trouble getting greese into my 2 Lower kingpin fittings. The upper ones were easy. Someone told me to take the weight off the wheels, but still no go. Any advice without having to pull them apart would be appreciated.

Scott
05-03-2001, 11:04 PM
Sure,

Just unscrew the grease nipple and clean out the crap with a screwdriver. Check the grease nipple using the grease gun. If the nipple is fine just stick it back in the cleaned out hole and it should work fine. Have a friend turn the wheels while you sqeeze the gun.

If that doesn't do the trick, use a brake clean product or wd 40. If you use wd 40 make sure to run through at least 1/2 oz. or more of grease.

There are more ways, but try these first.

leadfoot
10-07-2002, 11:51 AM
i know they are found elsewhere

but i ran kingpins by my local car-quest

the # they came up with for my 65'

was # 8494B0RN

said special order ....47.82 for brass

and 54.39 for nylon ..also said i would

have them before friday

i ordered the brass ones

will let you know how it goes

hope it helps

VAN~On

Twovanman
10-07-2002, 07:56 PM
Somtimes just a little heat will soften the old grease , just warm around the section with the fitting.

vannman67
10-07-2002, 08:00 PM
I've done the kingpins on my 67 twice. The first time I used the nylon bushings. The second time I decided to have the kingpin hole rebushed and machined because of excess play. I used brass bushings the second time. Now I can't say thats there's a noticable difference, but obviously brass is going to hold up over time. That was apparent when I pulled the pins the second time and the nylon bushings were quite worn, only two years after I replaced them. Anyway, it's a fairly straightforward job, but it can get frustrating trying to pound out old lock pins and kingpins. Just my .02 worth.

------------------
Vannman67
aka Bryan Corbitt
Vancouver,Wa
1967 Chevy Sportvan 108"

donivan
10-07-2002, 09:59 PM
You might run into a little problem after you press in the new bushings, they may be too small
for the kingpin to slide in and may need to be resized or reamed out. ~Don~

leadfoot
10-08-2002, 10:20 AM
thanks Donivan-
parts should be in friday..but will tackle this job next week....
i have a good auto machine shop here in town who can ream em out if needed...will have to see what i get first...a perfect fit would be nice LOL yeah now thats a dream right?
-rebuilding carb today
-new exuast thursday
-kingpins next week
-Tranny comming soon
VAN~On

leadfoot
10-11-2002, 10:57 AM
kingpin's arrived today
car-quest part # is #8494B
total 43.78 + 6.00 frieght(special order)
grand total $49.78
kit looks good ....
question i have is now do i send the pins and sleaves to the machine shop now or do i wait until assembly to have it done...
this is the only part of it i'm a little confused about here
thanks again for the input
VAN~On

donivan
10-11-2002, 12:07 PM
You could just take the spindles to the machine shop and have them remove the old bushings, press in the new ones, and resize the bushings to fit the kingpin shaft. The object is to press in the new bushings, which causes them to compress a bit and get smaller, then ream them out bigger to make the kingpin shaft slide in freely.You could damage the spindles or new bushings if you don't use the correct tools to install them and since you will probably have to have the machine shop resize the new bushings after they are pressed into the spindles, let them do the whole job.
~Don~

JD
10-11-2002, 09:06 PM
Take it from me..Send em out..they probably will need to be fitted..I did my first set myself and they lasted a little over a year (nylon) the brass ones I had done by a pro and it has been 3 years with NO PROBLEM...JD

solid side 65
10-11-2002, 09:31 PM
The auto parts-machine shop I dealt with had the Moog brass-bronze kingpin set in stock. I took in my spindles after I removed the old GM Delrin (plastic) bushings. Actually the bushing were honed not reamed. The shop honed the bushings to fit the new kingpins after they pressed them into the spindles. I think they used the same machine they use on a connecting rod. Each pin was matched to it's spindle.

leadfoot
10-12-2002, 08:46 AM
just spoke to the machine shop
said $20.00 if i put the bushings in
$40.00 if they do it...
i have a press here so i think i may put them in then send them the spindles to be fitted....they knew just what i was refering to when i asked...they do OLD 50's chevy's all the time they said
(i got the bronze set)
..so i guess i'll tackle this deal next week -taking out the spindles on an evening sending them out next morning returned and assembled that evening
-thanks for the help ..this was a first for me-
VAN~On

solid side 65
10-12-2002, 11:24 AM
If you press them in yourself, I believe you need to index, line up, the grease zerk hole in the spindle with a corresponding hole or slot on the OD of the bushings. I could be wrong, but that's how I remember it being.

leadfoot
10-17-2002, 12:16 PM
yes you do have to index them so the grease fitting lines up..(i almost forgot that part)
....in a previous post i think someone posted the settings for kingpins on
alignment....could that person possibly post that info here please for a 65'
was going to tackle this today but it's going to wait till next week ..machine shop is pretty busy right now anyhow...i have to be in upstate NY again this saturday and don't want to be down just in case
-will take some pics and add any info here i recieve in process
thanks again VAN~On

64vanatic
10-20-2002, 08:27 PM
Hey leadfoot,

Here is the alignment specs.

1964-1966 Van

caster -- +3.5 deg.

camber -- +1.5 deg.

toe-in -- 1/16 - 1/8 in.

King pin inclination -- 7 1/6 deg.

That is off the chart in the chiltons manual.

Hope this will do it for you.

See Ya,

Troy