PDA

View Full Version : Will V8 starter work on 6?

Rossstan
10-31-2001, 09:57 PM
I just aquired a 66 Chevy Van. (This officially allows me to call my two early vans a "collection") It is very original. Even has the original passenger seat.
Anyway, it has a broken bolt that holds the starter to the engine block. It is broken about 1/8 inch below the block surface. It's the one that is closest to the crankshaft. However, I noticed a third bolt hole that looks like it could be used instead if I were to use a starter from a small block. The original starter has it's bolt holes side by side, but the small block starters, if I remember correctly, have it's two bolt holes stagered. It looks like I could just use a V8 starter with the staggerd holes and just forget about the broken bolt that is stuck in the engine block.
I hope this isn't too confusing.
Will the staggered bolt hole starter work in the original 6 cyl engine?
Thanks a lot for your help.
Ross, in Boulder CO.

bellvan
11-01-2001, 07:23 AM
the same thing happened to my van a few years ago.i found the broken bolt in my driveway......took a few minutes to figure out where it came from.it realy didnt take much to tap out the old bolt.sqirt a little wd40,a few taps with the hammer and a small chisell and it was out in about 10 minutes.
as far as the starter goes,ive never tryed to swap from one type to the other.i could be VERY wrong about this....but i always thought the two GM type starters had more to do with what type of trans you had(auto/manual) than the motor sise(6cyl/8cyl)
but like i sid i could be wrong,its been a while since i had to mess with a starter
good luck
Rusty

Scott
11-02-2001, 12:32 AM
Your going to have to be careful changing your bolt placement. That sucker has to be in there square and solid. If it sets in there and is not square you'll chew the flywheel teeth something fierce. If it fits in perfect and is solid than you'll have no trouble. But I'd go with first suggestion... suck that old one out first...if you can.

Good Luck
Scott

Rossstan
11-04-2001, 02:56 AM
Thanks guys.
First chance I get I will go after that bolt. If I fail, and try the V8 starter, I will post my results in a new post.
Ross in Boulder CO.