PDA

View Full Version : stick to six

68chevyboy
07-29-2000, 02:18 PM
swapping from six to eight seems to be a poular topic with our earlies. but for some of us, we cant afford a v-8, or cant afford gas for one. some times its just too much trouble. my father has a pacer with a 258 straight six [please dont laugh.] and he wanted headers and stuff for it. so, i found a site that has high performance parts for inlines. its www.cliffordperformance.com (http://www.cliffordperformance.com)
it would be really cool to see an old inline that could smoke the tires!

painterchris
07-29-2000, 05:45 PM
Actually, you can get a lot of high-performance innards for inline 6 engines. The guy who rebuilt my motor said that he used to build souped up inlines for a guy who raced with them. I decided to go for a stock rebuild to save money. Maybe I'll think about some power in a few years. But my 250 gets about 20 MPG on the highway. I've never had a v-8 that could match that. I once had a 78 chevy van with a 350 and it got 12 MPG on the highway (8 mpg in the city). YEESH. So, I like the inline 6 motors. They're economical and reliable.

On a side note, I have heard that the 64-66 vans were also available with a 4-cylinder motor. I have never seen one tho. I guess they were underpowered and died off more quickly than the 6-cylinders. I guess an early van with an original, running 4-cylinder is on of the "rarest" vans.

Later,
Andy.

68chevyboy
07-30-2000, 09:46 PM
4 CYLINDER? HUH? weird. i had no idea that chevy made a 4 cylinder back then. i will have to do some research on that one. anyone know anything about these motors, or the wherabouts of one? thanks, and van on.-the proud owner of a now running 68"!

Yeggster
07-31-2000, 08:53 AM
I belive the 4 cylinder was new in 1963......called the "high torque 153" in '63

I don;t have more recent info on it.....my '66 book metions the L4 but doesn;t say for sure if it was used then.

Shane

painterchris
07-31-2000, 09:44 PM
Both my 64 and 65 has horsepower ratings for the 6 cylinder and 4 cylinder motors on the little blue nameplate inside the drivers door. What's weird is that the 4 cylinder has almost as much peak hp as the 6 cylinder.
Later,
Andy.

Vanner68
08-01-2000, 08:41 PM
about the same hp, but 2/3 the torque and torque is what gets these babies rolling!
as far as gas mileage-pffft! if that's that important, why drive a van? seriously tho, my 68 started out with a six, with a 4.11 posi. yes it's stock. would pull the wheels at the line, but topped out at 75mph and got about 4mpg. not to mention burned up pretty fast after i got it.(wonder why?)I put a very healthy 350 (edelbrock torker cam and intake, 750 holley, 305 heads to raise compression ratio to approx 9.5:1 with flat top pistons, recurved hei distributot with 35 degrees total advance at 3000rpm- topped out at 130mph before i burned it up cuz i ran the six banger radiator! stupid! stupid!)
anyway, i just love the power and sound of a V8 and yes it is hard to type when your knuckles drag on the ground!

68chevyboy
08-01-2000, 11:15 PM
thanks, and i'll get all the info on it i can get on the net. no, im not sick enough to put a four cylinder in an old chevy but, two welded together, hmmmmmmm.... he, he,. im sure they are worth a lot though. thanks, and van on. by the way vanner 68, there is nothing wrong with the roar of a v-8. what do you think i got in mine? he, he,.