PDA

View Full Version : generator light

65dream
09-24-2001, 11:57 AM
on my 64 van my gen light flashes on every now and then but my van is not dying or anything seems wrong what could this be everyone thanks alot from frank.

Vanner68
09-24-2001, 03:47 PM
What do you have on when the light flashes? My 68 wouldn't charge the battery if I had the heater, lights, wipers, and radio on at the same time. The stock alternator only puts out about 38 amps and it doesn't take much to overtax it. If you aren't putting a load on the alternator and the light flickers, check all the alt and regulator connections for corrosion. If that doesn't help, have the alternator tested, most parts shops will do this for free. If alt is ok, replace regulator, althogh an argument could be made for replacing both if alt is bad.

TurboVan
09-24-2001, 09:03 PM
This is an interesting problem.
My gen light used to glow when too many things were turned on, it was trying to feed thru the bulb itself to supply enough current, that is until I ran an additional big positive wire up from the alternator, to supply the key switch.
Everything worked better, the lights, heater fan, etc, --- TV

HippieVanDave
09-25-2001, 08:56 PM
To my way of thinking, the best way to fix this problem for good is to go buy a cheap GM internal regulator alternator and regulator pigtail and retro-fit. I've done this to a ton of old GM vehicles, and even put one in an old Fiat! The alt. was only $23 at Autozone, and the wiring is a snap. For those who don't already know, here's the skinny: Take the larger wire from the plasic connector that goes into the regulator, and connect to the alt. BAT terminal. then take the big wire that was connected to the existing generator (the one that goes to the battery) and it'll work. one of the wires from the harness that goes to the old regulator goes to the light on the dash. Connect the small wire in the new alt. plasic connector to each one in the regulator harness till the light goes out. Done. All should be right with the world now. Good luck whatever you decide to do.
David

[This message has been edited by DaveTrisch (edited September 25, 2001).]