• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • partyvanbeagles
    Van Addict
    • Aug 2001

No Door Conversion

I think a "no door" early Chevy would be way cool, but it seems as if they are alot more rare even then the others. I've located a few solid panel vans (with side doors) and have wondered....Could a "no glass" side door van be converted to a no-door by reinforcing and professionally welding the doors closed prior to refinishing and repainting the body? It seems simple enough and, to me, that it would work. Anyone got additional input or even any first hand experience with a "no-door conversion?"
  • bellvan
    Van Addict
    • Jun 2001

well,its none of my bussiness what anyone does with thare cars......but,to me a homemade no door is about as exciting as a fake GTO or SS chevy. it can be done,but its not realy the same thing.(you can cus at me now ha ha)

Comment

• Vanner68
      VCVC Charter Member
      • May 2000

Well, as the owner of a real no door, I'd say if you were to do such a thing, don't try to pass it off as genuine....
      As for the best way to do it, I would cut the appropriate sized section out of the driver side of a parts van, including the wall bracing, and weld it in the opening after removing the doors and selling them to someone who needs them.
      If you did this with a 108 you would have something unique as the factory never offered a LWB no door.
      Gregg Groff

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1968 Chevy G20 108 panel Now with 454 power!

1965 Chevy G10 panel- OHC Pontiac inline 6

Comment

• TurboVan
        VCVC Member
        • Dec 2000

A couple of months back I saw an early no door with the BACK doors welded shut. Talk about one useless cargo space! --- TV
        Keep one foot in the gutter, one fist in the gold...sigpic

'65 Panel, with turbocharged 327 (originally 153 four), TH400 (originally 3-speed), and 3.31 '67 Camaro 12 bolt rear (my first car, 1970)
        https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...meE_Jf-hgJU2mG

'69 Sportvan 108 with turbocharged original 250 six and 700R4 (originally Powerglide), 3.73 rear, starred in eight Taco Bell commercials
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDfPJ3xmwjY

Comment

• BZ
          VCVC Member
          • Jul 2000

FWIW; personally I like doors in the side, makes the van much more useful.
          Don't really see the point in no doors
          BZ
          Thanks, Ben
          BZ,RZ & Cujo @ N.C. 66 ChevyVan
          "One thing a Southern boy will never say is, 'I don't think duct tape will fix it.' " Keith Canfield Apollo 13 Astronaut

Comment

• Vanner68
            VCVC Charter Member
            • May 2000

That's what makes em cool- non utility. Corvettes aren't practical either, are they?
            One must suffer for their art.
            Gregg Groff

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1968 Chevy G20 108 panel Now with 454 power!

1965 Chevy G10 panel- OHC Pontiac inline 6

Comment

• vanogre
              Van Addict
              • Apr 2001

most people look at me funny when i tell them Ime into old vans anyway. I say if thats what you want, do it. if you dont like it, put it back. simple as that. but wile were on the subject of custom fffabs, what major alterations has anyone done and been really happy with? hey ill start a new topic.

Comment

• firefyter
                New Guy
                • Sep 2001

looking to sell any of those solid side doors, or know anyone who has some to sell please contact!!!! mike

firefyter22@hotmail

Comment

• partyvanbeagles
                  Van Addict
                  • Aug 2001

Thanks to everyone who had a comment or suggestion on a "no-door conversion"

Comment

• pat69chevan
                    Certifiable Vanatic
                    • Sep 2000

hey party van beagles, where are you located? in union mo, there is a 68 no door at my buddys salvage yard waiting to find a new home. the hard part is getting it home, flat beds are kinda expensive, it needs some body work, overall it would be a cool project. e-mail me if interested.

[email protected]

Comment

• painterchris
                      Certifiable Vanatic
                      • May 2000

Hey,
                      I didn't have much to say about this before, but I do now. I've been doing a lot of sanding and primering on my van lately and I noticed something that would affect your ability to convert a standard van into a no-door. The body lines on the doors do not seem to be stamped as deeply as the body lines on the van side panels. It's extremely obvious where the edges of the door panels are next to the edges of the side panels. So, this means that it would be very difficult for you to get the lines to look right. Admittedly, if you were meticulous about it, most people probably wouldn't notice. But, if you really want to eliminate your doors, I think you would need a section of side panel to fill the space.
                      Later,
                      Andy.

Comment

Working...
                      X