PDA

View Full Version : weatherstrip

bostonvan
07-25-2000, 10:54 PM
Anyone have any info on weather strip for front and rear doors, and any other rubber info would be great.
Tim S

Yeggster
07-25-2000, 11:04 PM
I got all my weather stripping AND the seals for the side and rear door windows from JC Whitney....I seem to remeber it was pretty cheap too

Shane

BudVanBeer1
07-29-2000, 06:07 AM
well, Shane, would you care to enlighten us with some JCW part #, please??

Duane 70gmc
07-29-2000, 03:11 PM
What I ended up doing since I thought looking for the originals would be time consuming and costly, was to have a look at what A&M Softseal had to offer. They're in the weatherstripping business. Well I had them fax me a list ( with full size photos of each weatherstripping so you know exactly what your ordering ) of there line of universal weatherstripping. I had a little left on one of the doors and cut a piece off and matched it perfectly to something in A&M Softseal's catalog. I ended up buying about 100 feet for about $85.

There were 2 considerations in doing this. One was a cost factor. I was sure I could get enough weatherstrippng thru A&M for the entire van a lot cheaper then locating and buying all the factory weatherstripping. Assuming you could even find them and managed to get them for say,,,,$20 a peice, that's still $120. The second consideration was that the originals were glued on. No special clips to worry about or anything like that. So the A$M weatherstripping would attach in the same manner, just like the originals. And since I had planned to do the weatherstripping all the way around the van, this seemed like the most logical way to go. It's all new, fresh, and soft. It hasn,'t been sitting for "who knows where" for umpteen ( I'm not really sure how many years umpteen is ) years. It's almost a dead nuts match for thr original. It attaches the same way, and it's cheaper. One of the things I've mentioned before is that I want my 70 "tight, right, and ready for flight" and getting the rattles and road noise eliminated is an ongoing concern in achieving that goal.....

Just my $.02 cents. Had it to spare this afternoon.
Van On Dudes

------------------
Duane
Proud owner of a 1970 GMC 108" V-8 Vintage Van
Any ?
Email:
dkh7d108@hotmail.com
VCVC Rules

tomschaner
07-29-2000, 07:50 PM
clarks corvair at 413 625-9776 also has the exact weatherstripping item #c3468a is there sample # in case your want to check some out.i ordered 75 feet which should be enough to do a van.got their # thru roger moyles.sure knows his vans.i paid around $60 for all mine.tom still trying to get info on where to get doghouse weatherstripping?

JD
07-29-2000, 11:11 PM
HEY DUANE!..WOULD YOU/COULD YOU SHARE THE PART # FROM A&M SOFTSEAL??I,VE GOT A COUPLE OTHER CATALOGS BUT THEY WANT $2.75-3.75 A FOOT!!I HAVE A A&M SOFTSEAL CATALOG HERE, BUT THE PART NUMBER OF THE STUFF THAT FITS WOULD HELP!.........THANKS BRO......JD.....

Duane 70gmc
07-30-2000, 01:16 PM
No sweat. I have the box and the weatherstripping in the garage. Might take a bit to find it but I'll do it today and post the info later. If I don't see apart number. I think I still have the original fax from Softseal in the van and I'm over due for a visit so I'll see if I can dig it up.. One way or another, I'll try to post the info tonight.

Van On Dudes

------------------
Duane
Any ?
Email:
dkh7d108@hotmail.com
VCVC Rules

Duane 70gmc
07-30-2000, 09:07 PM
Found the original reciept and it looks like this. The part number appears to be E100. I ordered 80 feet at $1.40. About $112. A little higher then I remember but I felt for brand new weatherstripping all the way around the truck, it was worth it. And A&M Softseal is a good name and sells a quality product in my opinion.....

If I remember correctly, I called A&M Softseal and had them fax me just the pages out of their catalog that showed the universal types that they offered.

Van On Dudes

------------------
Duane
Any ?
Email:
dkh7d108@hotmail.com
VCVC Rules

Duane 70gmc
07-30-2000, 09:11 PM
Also the description goes as follows on the reciept : Door W/Strip 50's & 60's GM. Also make sure you install it the correct way. I would almost look correct either way but one will seal the door better.

Van On Dudes

------------------
Duane
Any ?
Email:
dkh7d108@hotmail.com
VCVC Rules

68chevyboy
07-30-2000, 09:49 PM
my window seals have gaps where they meet. is ther a part that goes there or have mine shrunk? thanks and van on

JD
07-31-2000, 01:01 AM
Thanks for the info Duane! Im ordering some tonight (gotta do my 67 and 69)..If all goes well in the next couple weeks I may be adding a 68 90" to my "STABLE"..My luck it will also need seals!..KEEP ON VANNIN!!!!
...........Later...............JD......

[This message has been edited by JD (edited July 31, 2000).]

painterchris
10-14-2002, 06:06 PM
Hey duane or JD,

how is your door weatherstrip working out? I need to order enough weatherstrip to do a whole van, so if you could give me a phone number for A&M Softseal, I'd appreciate it.

Andy.

2clones
10-15-2002, 11:15 AM
They're right here... http://www.soffseal.com/ or 800-426-0902

Butch

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by painterchris:
Hey duane or JD,

how is your door weatherstrip working out? I need to order enough weatherstrip to do a whole van, so if you could give me a phone number for A&M Softseal, I'd appreciate it.

Andy.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

JD
10-16-2002, 12:03 AM
It Fits Nice! I cleaned + scraped all the old cr*p off the doors..sanded them..primered..jammed them in white paint and glued them on with "monkey snot" (AKA) 3M Super Weatherstrip Adheasive...They seal nicely..Like Duane said, they can be installed 2 ways..check it twice and glue it once! Get some Good 1 inch masking tape to glue the weatherstrips to the doors while the glue dries........JD

painterchris
10-24-2002, 04:56 PM
Okay, now I'm confused...
I ordered 80 feet of E100 universal door weatherstripping from Soffseal and it looks NOTHING like the original stuff. Not even close. What they sent me looks like a universal type weatherstripping that I can get from JC Whitney. Have they changed their numbers? If anyone could post a picture of what weatherstripping they are using, I'd appreciate it, because right now I don't think this stuff is going to work.
Andy.

painterchris
10-24-2002, 05:05 PM
Here is what my original weatherstrip looks like (more or less):
166.82.96.9/higifs/70177699.gif (http://166.82.96.9/higifs/70177699.gif)

The stuff that Soffseal sent me looks more like this:
www.jcwhitney.com/images/imagecache/I14874.gif (http://www.jcwhitney.com/images/imagecache/I14874.gif)

I hope that works...
Andy.

[This message has been edited by painterchris (edited October 24, 2002).]

TurboVan
10-24-2002, 11:54 PM
Has anyone tried Trimlok? 1-888-874-6565
or go to www.trimlok.com (http://www.trimlok.com)
They seem to have a real good selection.

TV

painterchris
10-28-2002, 07:06 AM
hello? Anyone?

65dream
10-29-2002, 12:18 AM
i thought the only right rubber stuff was from restoration specialitys

ahighdiver
10-29-2002, 09:58 AM
As far as I can see Restoration speciaties
is the only original.
Trimlok has the rear glass seal and it looks like they have something that will work for the doghouse.
HD.

ahighdiver
10-29-2002, 09:29 PM
I called trimlok and they sell only 100 to 500 ft. lots.
They said to check Mc Master Carr.
HD.

chevy van 5150
11-25-2002, 08:32 AM
I was looking through the archives and someone posted that Clarks Corvair had the exact door weatherstrip, It was used on the Corvair van. I went to their web site and there was a picture of it and it looks exact! Anyone used it?

bsquared
11-25-2002, 11:11 AM
Painterchris,

I was thinking of ordering that E100 weatherstrip from A&M based on JD and Duane's posts, but then saw that you weren't happy with it... what year is your van? It looks like JD did a '69 with it, and that's what I've got.

I'll also need something for the doghouse, but it looks like the Trimlok stuff mentioned might only come in huge lots. Does anyone know another source for that seal?

gregw98
11-25-2002, 06:26 PM
My van came (from the previous owner)with generic weather stripping that you can get at Home Depot, about 3/8 inch wide. Seems to work fine for the doghouse. Just make sure that you clean the mounting surface really good before putting it on. My is mounted to the doghouse itself and not on the lid.
Greg

painterchris
11-26-2002, 08:55 AM
Yeah, I'm not thrilled with the e-100 weatherstrip, but I'm probably going to try to use it anyway. I'm also not too psyched about the "doghouse seal" I got from restoration specialties. I'm sure it will work, but it isn't really what I had in mind. Ask me about all of this again in about a month when I am ready to actually re-strip the doors. Then I'll have a better idea of how well it works.
Andy.

chevy van 5150
11-26-2002, 10:48 AM
I used the dog house seal from Restoration Specialties I think the number is #E715 It fit good.

Paul

Dan Wilson
11-26-2002, 11:33 AM
I had a brainstorm the other day about the doghouse gasket and checked out an early econoline['64],and the gasket is close. It's a little wider but has the right thickness. I plan to order one,I will let you guys know how it works out. I ordered that gasket from restoration[E-715] and it wasn't even close[for the '64-'66]. I gave them a sample of my old one and they sent me back something that was WAY off. I even gave them exact measurements. The gasket might be right for the later vans['67-'70],but it's no cigar as far as I'm concerned for the earlier ones.

gregw98
08-29-2004, 03:46 PM
DW, did this work out?
greg

Dan Wilson
08-30-2004, 10:13 AM
Oh gee,I guess I never followed up huh? Sorry about that. Actually,since I have decided to keep my van I have started thinking about it's future. I did order the Econoline catalog but found no doghouse gaskets. I still have the gasket Restoration sent me but It's not the right one. I'm using a mexican blanket for engine heat and noise.

Joe Russin
08-31-2004, 12:58 PM
Dan I have the Restoration Specalties dog hous gasket also and it is close but it is missing a lip on the inside to help it attach to the dog house lid.I would have to glue the snot out of it to make it work.I am going touse somthing else on my 69.....Wookee