PDA

View Full Version : Doghouse Ideas?

Ross
03-03-2001, 06:17 PM
I have never been a great fan of the dog houses in our vans. I mean they work well for checking the oil etc. but I always thought it would be nice to be able to take the dog house out entirely when doing other things, especially V8's. I have seen an early Ford van that had the whole dog house bolted to the floor, rather than welded like ours are. I would seem a somewhat interesting conversion. Making hangers and brackets for everything that now attaches to the existing dog house may require the most ingenuity.
Of course putting it on rails may be an option.
The previous owner of my 65 put a 283 V8 in place of the straight six, and basically cut large holes in the side of the doghouse, and in the floor so that it would fit and have access to the spark plugs. I am thinking of making a whole new doghouse that would have removeable pannels, plus a hinged lid, plus be bolted to the floor, plus anything else I may dream up. (cup holders?). Anyway, I would image I will make it out of steel, because I can weld.
I really don't like the stock doghouse that came on the 67-70 V8's.
Has anyone else modified their doghouse significantly? I am sure it has occured to everyone. Any other ideas?
Thanks for your info.
Ross in Boulder Colorado
Jeep69CJ5@Juno.com

Yeggster
03-03-2001, 10:34 PM
When I dropped in my 350 I made cut out all the old doghouse and scrapped it.

I made a new one from scratch after that goes is from wheel well to wheel well........the top is bent out of 1/8" plate and slides back to get to the motor..............the side extend under both front seats and it's bet up 8" in the middle for the intake to fit nice

It's big enough to pull the motor if it needs to be done again.

If I want I can just slide it right off for best access.........like when I replaced the intake manifold gaskets.

Ross
03-05-2001, 01:30 PM
Thanks a lot Yeggster. Sounds likd a great set up. I guess I will start planning now, so I can modify my ideas over time, so when it comes time to do it, I won't forget anything.
Ross in Boulder Colorado
Jeep69CJ5@Juno.com

pat69chevan
03-05-2001, 02:58 PM
hey guys, wouldnt it be great if both front seats were hinged by the doors and latched on the doghouse so when you unlatch them they flip outwards with the doors open. and then with the seats out of the way, the whole doghouse can be unlatched and lifted off the engine and set back in the back. the latches that i would use would be the ones that are use on concert equipment cases, the ones that twist two or three times and then flip down. it is hard to describe but i believe it would work. what do you think?

Yeggster
03-05-2001, 11:45 PM
I probably should have metioned both my seats comeout wihtout tools.

The passenger one came as a pullout as a factory option........it can be flipped out of the way to oad long boards, carpet rolls etc or just lifted off.

I rigged up the drivers side simmilar so it sits in pockets.......my wieght keep it in place too.

Hey I rolled over with no seat belt and it stayed in place......must be OK

greg showers
03-06-2001, 07:42 AM
here is the idea that i have been getting parts for. i am using the pedistules from a ford conversion, and a spare dog house from a 68 gmc. i am going to remove the seats, mount the pedistules weld in a new piece of pipe (to get the proper seat height). cut my dog house out, bolt in the spare dog house. i have been thinking about using clips like the ones in a astro for holding down the dog house. but the seats are removeable by the pull of a lever, then just unbolt the dog house and you got all the room you need. i have been planning this modification for over four years(i think i have it all figured out) good luck