PDA

View Full Version : tranny pan problems.......

pat69chevan
10-26-2001, 09:02 AM
hey gang, i got two questions, where can i get a new pan for my 2 speed powerglide, my pan is wore out, it doesnt seem to want to seal properly, i tried the dealerships in my area and they said no luck. if i cant get a pan, what sealer would be good to use with the gasket to give me a good seal. i dont drive my early that often due to my busy schedule, but everytime i get ready to drive, i have to dump 2 - 3 quarts in before i take off and load down the driveway with oil absorbant.

any input is appreciated

thanks

pat

painterchris
10-26-2001, 10:08 AM
Is your pan warped or what? You may be able to fix it somewhat. Take is off and get a piece of steel barstock wide enough to fit inside the lip of the pan. Us a hammer to carefully hammer the flange smooth again using the barstock as backing. I'm willing to bet that the problem is your bolts were overtorqued at some point and they're dimpled in now. If you hammer them flat again, use some gasket sealant and follow the torque specs on the bolts, it should fix the problem.
Andy.

pat69chevan
10-26-2001, 01:30 PM
thanks, i plan on trying to solve this problem this weekend.

thanks again

pat

vanogre
10-30-2001, 02:27 PM
permatex, blue form a gasket is the best sealant ive ever used. any good hardware should carry it. you may even get lucky at lowes, make sure you get the high temp stuff.

Scott
10-30-2001, 05:43 PM
Permatex blue will only be so good and will fail over time, your ATF will disolve it away. There is this black stuff that comes in an areosol can. I'll check the brand name tomorrow at work. You use it instead of a gasket. It works very well. I've used it to seal a ton of oil pans.