PDA

View Full Version : Brake Conversion Questions (again)

Seamus
12-31-2001, 04:22 PM
I've heard lots of rumors about converting drums ont he front of these old things, but has anyone succeeded on a 67? If so, what route did you take, which product? Is there a consensus on the best way to do this?

I ain't an old man but my heart can't take many more of the "imaginative" stops that my brakes come up with.

[This message has been edited by Seamus (edited December 31, 2001).]

ahighdiver
12-31-2001, 08:16 PM
My dad was a hot rod builder in the fifties and sixties. He did one more in 80/81. A hand made frame 29 "T". The front axle was an after market with drums. He converted to discs (pinto) and it was a BIG job. He had to find and make mating surfaces on the calipers and build them up on the spindle. He had to deal with interfering parts and relocate them.
I think that discs would fit the van better than the ones he did. You have to research and messure GM calipers from cars of the same wheel size and there is bound to be some that will fit. Then there is the master cylinder. It would not work with a single and I have my doubts about the double. Some early discs used non power assist but the master was a lot bigger. More fluid is moved to work discs than drums but less force is required to stop with discs.
Someone just has to do it. I'm don't have the machines or I would like to do it.
HD.

Vanner68
01-01-2002, 06:14 PM
I had a 74 Chevelle with manual disc brakes, physically the master cylinder was the same size as the one in my 68 Van. So there's a source for the M/C. The rest is a matter of finding rotors to fit the spindles. I have a set of drum spindles from a 65 Chevelle that my boss gave me when he converted to discs. The spindles were the same on the disc kit except for caliper mounts, which appeared to be 3/8" flat steel for the most part. Calipers were from any GM midsize with 11" rotors, Camaros are the most common.
Eventually I'm going to gather up all this crap and take a whack at it, but who knows when that'll be.... http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/rolleyes.gif

AJAX
01-02-2002, 11:52 AM
Wasn't Yeggster working on this?

Vanner68
01-02-2002, 02:59 PM
AJAX! Thought ya fell of the Earth, there....
I believe he was working on this, wonder how far he got?

BTW- the no door is doing fine, after the expected things that go wrong with a 31 yr old vehicle...It's gonna be pretty cool as a 60's wheelstander, although I don't expect to be doing THAT much, heh heh. Still got the tiny steering wheel, steers fine after greasing everything up real good...

Yeggster
02-16-2002, 11:17 PM
hi guys!

I *was* working on the brake conversion......BUT I have pretty much abandoned the effort......at least the way i was going to......why?

After rolling on black ice last winter, driving all this winter AND getting stuck in mud two times last fall....I have decided to convert up to 4X4.

I had to spend $2000 just to get the old 66 back in primer after the roll over last winter so the van has to pay me back some free milage before I spend any more on it.

So......I will not be gathering parts for the 4X4 conversion for another year and a half or so......My plan is to add the axle first.....then a transfer case etc. after a bit

When I DO I will get the front disks "for free" amd the "added traction of four whlee drive" as they say eventually.

Shane