PDA

View Full Version : getting a handle

tomschaner
06-24-2000, 08:07 PM
i've got a 1967 chevy van 90 and was curious if any of you vanners has every tried getting there vans to really handle great!i'm in the process of modify the braking and handling of my van thru the following: I,ve added a front disc brake setup,was able to acquire a stock van front sway bar adding polyurethane end links,gas shocks front and rear.any other ideas like adding a rear bar? anyone know what will work?maybe changing leaf settings to drop frnt and rear,deeper inset tires?anybody out there gotten their van to really hug the road.it would be interesting to see if i can make this 67 handle like a newer ride.let me know if any one has had any success.thanks tom

Duane 70gmc
06-24-2000, 09:57 PM
Tom, would really like to hear what you did to get the disc's up front. Heard that it was a major undertaking because of the i-beam axle. Unless I've missed something putting discs on an early is very rare. Would you elaborate as to how you installed them and what parts were used? The braking has always been a sore spot on my 70, and the thought of disc's up front reallly appeals to me.

Thanks

------------------
Duane
Proud owner of a 1970 GMC 108" V-8 Vintage Van
Any ?
Email:
dkh7d108@hotmail.com
VCVC Rules

vannman67
06-25-2000, 02:18 AM
Tom, all those things you've done should definately help stabilize things but, it's a van, it's top heavy. Maybe try a steering stabilizer (see my previous posts). Good Luck, I'll get back with you on the dash pad. Bryan

JD
07-02-2000, 01:28 AM
HI TOM...I TOO, WOULD LIKE TO KNOW ABOUT THAT DISC BRAKE CONVERSION..BEEN TRYING TO FIND INFO ON THAT FOR A LONG TIME..PLEASE LET US KNOW AND MAKE A LOT OF PEOPLE HAPPY !
...............LATER..............JD........
...(D1VANMAN@AOL.COM)

------------------

[This message has been edited by JD (edited July 02, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by JD (edited July 02, 2000).]

nagant
07-05-2000, 10:34 AM
i got some info on disc brake conversions. i tried ask jeeves.com and under ( disc brake conversions) then the direct hit box gave up around ten good sites. master power brakes, stainless steel brakes, and crusse in classics al had kits for chevy trucks 60-74 1/2 tons. didnt say vans though. if any one wants ill send then the page with the list. later

------------------