PDA

View Full Version : What is most secure way to handle $ when buying / selling from a distance?

No1rascal
01-14-2010, 05:54 PM
Looks like I found another toy I just have to have, lol. This one is down south so I have to figure out how to handle payment that is secure for both me and the seller.

Can anyone offer suggestions or methods they have used in the past that works for both parties?

Any info or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks guys.
Scott

BILLS66
01-14-2010, 07:12 PM
Scott, Do you know anyone in that area that could help? Bill

onehandydad
01-14-2010, 09:46 PM
I think that paypal is one of the best tools for paying for stuff over the net. There is built in protection for the seller. If you have any problems with the transaction then you can go to paypal and they will give you your money back and then go after the seller. Haven't had to do this myself but had a friend that did and he said it worked great. Good luck.

gregw98
01-14-2010, 10:28 PM
I have used Paypal to purchase several vehicles. The buyer and the seller are both protected.

No1rascal
01-15-2010, 07:58 AM
Thanks guys, the problem with PP is I don't think the seller is that into computers, kinda doubt he even has a PP account. the other issue using PP is the fee, wouldn't he get hit with a pretty good fee for receiving the funds?

Bill, unfortunately I don't know anyone even near the area.

Any other ideas?

thanks
Scott

SAVAGE
01-16-2010, 07:23 AM
Road Trip

BILLS66
01-16-2010, 07:40 AM
Scott,do banks still do drafts like the old days where you send the funds there and the seller brings the title and paper work there and the exchange occurs? Bill

planetvear
01-16-2010, 02:03 PM
talk the wife into a mid-winter southern vacation.

gregw98
01-16-2010, 08:44 PM
Exactly where Down South?

No1rascal
01-17-2010, 08:35 AM
Thanks guys, some good suggestions.
Will probably look into bank to bank transfer, have to see what the cost is.

Greg, the truck is in Alabama.

Scott

kookykrispy
01-17-2010, 12:37 PM
Maybe get ahold of Macsdoghouse. He lives in Alabama, near Mobile. He might be able to help.

planetvear
01-17-2010, 04:25 PM
i was wondering if we could make something like that work. if there was a vcvc member close enough to actually look at the vehicle, that would be great. i personally would be more than happy to pay a member here $150.00 or so to go look at a vehicle for me. it would save alot of aggravation.
if there is someone (like mac lets say for conversations sake) in alabama that you could send the funds to that could actually put a set of eyes on the vehicle with cash in hand, that would be perfect!!! if it is what the buyer says it is, the member could take posession of the vehicle/part or whatever and shipping could be arranged from there. as i have said in the past, i would do that for anybody if something came up in my section of the country. john

BILLS66
01-17-2010, 04:46 PM
John, Very well put if someone needs me to do something like that and it's not to far away I would be more than happy to go check it out. Bill

Optik
01-17-2010, 06:47 PM
ditto. I'm available to look at vehicles in the SW Ohio area if the need arises.
-Tim