PDA

View Full Version : low riders?

1bad65
06-26-2001, 12:28 AM
Can anyone tell me the easiest way to lower my 65 about 2-4"?

1bad65
06-26-2001, 12:35 AM
has anyone out there lowered their ride?

Vanner68
06-26-2001, 10:21 AM
Smiley's 68 was lowered when he got it, but he put it back to stock height. There are complications when lowering these vans, the pinion angle changes, the front axles gets REALLY friendly with the oil pan, and you end up with maybe an inch or two of suspension movement. To do it right would entail C-notching the frame in the rear and repositioning the spring perch for the correct pinion angle. The front axle would best be done by Dago-ing the axle (From a shop in San Diego in the 50's- they would heat and stretch the ends of the axle to raise the spindle) or possibly heating and bending a "U" in the center to clear the oil pan. However, if done wrong you have a junk axle, so you need to find a shop that does this regularly. You can lower the van about an inch or so by removing leaves from the springs, but you will bottom out on heavy bumps. Earlies look good low, but lowering is a compromise, usually affecting how much weight you can carry.

nogoodboyo
06-26-2001, 11:31 AM
The previous owner lowered my 67 about 3" in the front. It looks great-- but I won't lie to you, the ride often sucks. I bottom out on a regular basis, and I don't think the springs respond the way they're supposed to generally.

Joe
06-27-2001, 01:33 AM
They do look good lower, but you get the idea that some of the changes are a big deal http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/smile.gif

Messing with that front axle is a seriosly big deal... Although some of the 50's car guys have had good luck with Mustang or Nova subframes, but I don't know much about it.

Have you looked into just going with some lower wider rims and tires?
See if you can find a copy of _Lowrider_ magazine?
I run 205's of 8 inch ralley rims and I hardly dare get off the pavement...

1bad65
06-27-2001, 11:11 PM
Thanks guys!

My boyfriend is trying to talk me into letting him lower it, and i believe we've just talked him out of it
thanks again.

Vanner68
06-28-2001, 07:45 AM
Good Choice- it's definately not a job for beginners. Kinda like "Speed is Money, how fast ya wanna go?"

MadElf
06-29-2001, 04:42 PM
You want scary?
I've got a guy telling me we should weld in a mustang/pinto II front sub-frame to give me rack & pinion power steering. I'm not sure which scares me more.. the idea of trying it, or the idea that he'd probably succeed.

Vanner68
07-01-2001, 06:07 PM
I've considered that, but how would he hook up the forward control steering to the rack& pinion? http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/confused.gif

MadElf
07-04-2001, 08:37 PM
I have no idea. I didn't want to give him too much encouragement, just told him to go get his own van to play with.
But this IS a guy who's put a 50s ford on a dodge powerwagon chassis and a 50s chevy(?) on a corvette frame. I wouldn't put anything past him, but my budget definitely won't allow for anything that radical yet.
Even if it did, I'd be thinking more along the lines of a fiero mid-engine transaxle setup to move the engine & doghouse behind the seat for more elbow room before I started messing with the front end.
The power steering would be awful nice though.

1bad65
07-08-2001, 03:13 AM
"STRONG-ARM STEERING"
IS THE ONLY KIND OF POWER STEERING
YOU NEED IN ONE OF THESE BEAUTIFUL OLD RIGS.
ITS PART OF THEIR CHARM....
AND ITS THE REASON WHY MY BICEPS ARE IN PRETTY GOOD SHAPE!

MadElf
07-08-2001, 08:51 PM
Generally I have no problem with manual steering. I actually prefer it for general driving, but the van is a little bit of a challenge in tight parking spaces.
Guess I need to work on those biceps some more!