• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Vanner68
    VCVC Charter Member
    • May 2000

Clangy, Bangy, Tinny Doors

before i get started, this isn't a bona-fide resto tip, just a solution to something that bugs me. when I got my 68 way back in 79, the door seals and window channel and whatnot were all still in good shape, nothing loose, but when you would shut the cab doors the had a tinny, hollow sound that just sounded awful. I took it as just something that was normal until I bought the 69. The doors on that van shut with a solid, satisfying "thunk". When I put the power windows in I found out why. The doors had been cracking around the hinge mounts and the previuos owner had welded in some 1/2" plate to back up the hinges, and had added 1/2" plate around the latch area to strengthen it also. this gave the door more weight, and dampened some of the hollow sound. A plus was that the doors shut easily with only a light push. Now some of you may think this is no big deal, but if you were looking at a new car and the doors sounded tinny when you shut them, you'd probably feel it was a cheap car. It's a small thing, but it really makes a difference in the impression people have of your van.
    Gregg Groff

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1968 Chevy G20 108 panel Now with 454 power!

1965 Chevy G10 panel- OHC Pontiac inline 6
  • smiley
    Administrator
    • Apr 2000

I agree. If you hear a solid thud when you shut the door (also if you can do it with one hand and don't have to lean into it) it won't be a truly noticeable thing, but when you shut it and it sounds real hollow and noisey, everyone will certainly notice it. That's why 95% of car doors "shutting sounds" in movies and TV are faked.
    1966 Chevy Display, "Southern Belle"
    1968 Chevy, "Blue Overdose"

Comment

• gotavan
      VCVC Member
      • Nov 2000

The Doors Did you ever slam your door and have the window fall into the door? How about rolling up the window and having it fall in your lap! Pull up to a drive up window and get in a fight with the glass get a burger thru the vent. I had to lock the gate at work years ago it was a big chain link job with power. One time I jumped out of the van and threw the switch as usual but my van rolled back thru the gate, the open door caught the gate and bent right on around the front. Don't try this you get dents and a busted door stop. One more door story I had a door torn off by a Delta 88 one night it was run over by next car following me and got stuck underneath it. there is a picture in the gallery under 1967 . Ever drive your van with the front doors off, a couple trips thru town and the cops get all excited.

------------------
      gotavan
      gotavan Dan
      vannin since 1970
      1964 Chevy van 327 3 on tree
      1964 Chevy van 305 manual
      1964 GMC van 250 I6 powerglide
      1965 Chevy van 230 I6 3 on tree
      1967 Chevy van 250 I6 3 speed manual

Comment

• TurboVan
        VCVC Member
        • Dec 2000

To answer your first question, YES. And once,the wind caught my door, whipped it open, broke the stop, and continued on around until it dented next to the headlight. --- TV
        Keep one foot in the gutter, one fist in the gold...sigpic

'65 Panel, with turbocharged 327 (originally 153 four), TH400 (originally 3-speed), and 3.31 '67 Camaro 12 bolt rear (my first car, 1970)
        https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...meE_Jf-hgJU2mG

'69 Sportvan 108 with turbocharged original 250 six and 700R4 (originally Powerglide), 3.73 rear, starred in eight Taco Bell commercials
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDfPJ3xmwjY

Comment

• Vanner68
          VCVC Charter Member
          • May 2000

the previous owner of my 69 must have had the same problem, he had a 1/4" cable run thru the door and jam with 1/2" backup plates! Nothing short of a semi was gonna bust those doors!
          Gregg Groff

Comment

• duece
            Van Addict
            • Dec 2000

hey vanner can you elaborate on the power windows?? thinking about doing that my self

Comment

• Vanner68
              VCVC Charter Member
              • May 2000

Actually, not much to tell. I used regulators from a 74 Eldorado, put the nylon rollers from the van's regulators on the arms, and drilled the mounting holes for the Caddy regulators so the range of motion matched the stock regulators. Wired em up using the Caddy's switches. That's about all I remember, it was over 15 yrs ago. I'm doing this again on my 68 using 76 Monte Carlo Regulators, mainly cuz I got em!
              Gregg Groff

Comment

• ahighdiver
                Certifiable Vanatic
                • Feb 2001

I plan to try spraying poly foam on the inside and then putting plastic on top of the
                foam as it cures. I can form it a little and it will be water proof. I will do this to the entire van during the repaint this summer. You line the bays between the ribs with plastic and spray the foam in just like they do in homes. Then you carve off the extra and cover it with plastic before the plywood goes on. The plastic keeps the foam from sticking to the wall ( I do want it to stick to the inside of the doors)and prevents sqeaking. I just have to figure out how to apply it to the doghouse.

[This message has been edited by ahighdiver (edited March 17, 2001).]

Comment

Working...
                X