PDA

View Full Version : DISC BRAKES

AJAX
02-08-2001, 11:39 PM
BACK IN OCT LAST YEAR, WE WERE TALKING ABOUT DISC BRAKE BOLT ON FOR EARLY CHEVY VANS. SMILEY, YOU HAD BROUGHT UP CRUSSENCLASSICS.COM FOR A $1000.00 OR SO. DID ANY OF THAT MATERIALIZE? I ALSO REMEMBER YEGGSTER WAS GOING TO TRY TO FABRICATE SOMETHING UP. AS I RECALL I GAVE HIM A COMPLETE FRONT AXLE SO HE'D HAVE SOMETHIN' TO PRACTICE ON?????

Yeggster
02-09-2001, 01:44 AM
I never got around to the disc break st up yet http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/frown.gif

I WILL do it though......right now the axle is under easy 8 feet of snow......I will probably get to it this spring if all goes even half assed well http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/smile.gif

smiley
02-09-2001, 10:22 AM
I think most people found the Crussen kit too expensive so the company never followed through on any production. Most owners that I heard from felt they could build their own disc conversions for alot less.

I'll admit that 1k is a chunk to spend on a conversion kit, but I don't think any company is willing to produce an affordable, good quality kit for an application with such small sales potential.

gotavan
02-09-2001, 05:49 PM
In the August 1973 Hot Rod there is an article on putting disc brakes on the early econolines for $75. It involves machining the hub to fit a mustang disc and using a caliper mount from a 66 mustang. They redrilled the holes in the mount to match the old van spindle and put a spacer 1/2" thick between the spindle and the mount. This sure looks like it would work on the Chevys.I could send a copy of the article if you don't have a copy of the mag.

------------------
gotavan

AJAX
02-10-2001, 10:26 AM
IF YOU HAVE A SCANNER JUST CLICK ON MY EMAIL ADDRESS ABOVE AND LET HER RIP. THANKS,AJAX

gotavan
02-12-2001, 11:15 PM
Sorry about the scammer I just don't know how to get it to rip. I have a shredder and it works fine. anyways the article is on its way by snail-mail. Also sending one to Smiley.

------------------
gotavan

AJAX
02-19-2001, 01:16 PM
RECEIVED YOUR INFO TODAY. THX!! YEGGSTER WAS HERE YESTERDAY. I WISH I HAD IT THEN. HE'S THE BRAKE GUY, BUT MAYBE VANNER68 COULD MACHINE US UP AN ADAPTER PLATE??

Vanner68
02-19-2001, 05:14 PM
I have been giving this some thought, if I get a look at that article I may be able to do it.
Another thing I've been thinking. All you need for disc brakes is the disc, caliper, a mount, and a little rework on the M/C. I'm checking into late model cars that use the same wheel bearings as the early vans, so they may fit the spindle. I'm thinking late 70's thru 80's Impala or Malibu. The caliper could be Impala and just fab the mount to center it on the rotor. Trying to come up with something where caliper and rotor are over-the -counter parts store stuff.

tomschaner
02-19-2001, 08:29 PM
heres what i used a brake caliper bracket made up by john glenn got his # from roger moyles and some plans and behind inner bearing spacers.heres the details you need to totally remove your front brake assy's brakes,backing plate etc.this leaves the spindle and the drag link(steering link).you need to remove the shock absorber from the back of the front axle and reinstall to the front of the front axle.(this provides the clearance of the brake install when your steering is moved).next step is to enlarge (by drilling)the drag link both holes,and drilling and tapping two holes in the spindle.this allows the drag link,brake caliper bracket and spindle to be bolted together as one assy.the hard parts done.all thats left is installing a spacer on the spindle(this allows you to shim the rotor in or out within the brake caliper)or in other words center the rotor within the brake assy.the rest is just a matter of assy the brakes as follows,inner bearing spacer as mentioned,inner bearing,rotor,outer bearing,thrust washer,rotor nut,cotter key and dust cap.(which you all probably already know.install brake caliper,shoes and caliper pins onto brake caliper bracket.install brake hose and bleed your brakes.heres the parts list i used a 77 chevy blazer 4x4 brake caliper,brake shoes, caliper pins and brake hose,a 1972 chevy nova rotor and outer wheel bearing,a 1967 chevy van inner bearing and grease seal for bearing.,johns caliper bracket and inner bearing spacer grade 8 bolts and johns plans basically as detailed.you do it yourselfers can probably fabricate a bracket.the theory behind the bracket is yoy want to stradle the front i-beam axle and create a "c" shape to support the brake caliper assy.look at a street rodder magazine and you can see exactly what i,m talking about.as far as the inner spacer its inside diameter is equal to the outside diameter of the spindle;and the spacers outer diameter equals that of the inner bearing outer diameter.such that it supports the inner bearing while actually shiming the rotor out or in as well as providing clearance as necessary.don,t forget that the caliper is floating so it will self center after brake pressure is applied.that,s it hope i took some of the mystery out of the disc brake upgrade.as of yet i have yet to get my 67 van completed(still far away) so as to answer your obvious question of how well it works i can only comment that john the creator of this system is real happy with his.thats all folks .later tom

tomschaner
02-19-2001, 08:46 PM
sorry guys forgot the most important part.john glenn sold me his caliper bracket,spacer (behind inner wheel bearing)and plans for around$140 the cost of all new parts listed previosly thru auto zone around $200 for a grand total of about $340.don't forget i did have a dual reservoir master cyl on my 67 van so no cost there.some of you may say wheres the proportioning valve.none needed since your front brakes are so close to the master cyl it should not be necessary.i don,t have johns # handy but even if i did i would not post it this would not be cool as far as i'm concerned.have not talked to john in a while but he probably would make up some more kits if someone was interested.i have probably given out to much info but for early chevy vanners its worth it to help you guys out,later tom.