PDA

View Full Version : Lowering the front end??

prostreet65
12-28-2000, 06:59 PM
OK guys, I'm new here, but I'm not going to
waste any time getting started picking your
brains! We are building this van as a "pro-
streeter", using a homemade 2x3 rear sub-frame, ladder bars, and a narrowed rearend.
I want it to sit real low, and in the back
that's no problem, but I have no idea how to
lower that straight axle front end. Any ideas? Is it possible to relocate the axle
OVER the leaf springs, like the way they
lower the back of pickups? Any ideas would
be appreciated...
Thanks, John

Vanner68
12-29-2000, 04:24 PM
Can be done, just make sure it clears oil pan. Waaaay back in the 50's they used to Dago the front axle, which involved heating and stretching the ends of the axle to raise the spindle, effectively lowering the car. or you could have a custom tube axle made.

solid side 65
12-29-2000, 09:33 PM
vanner68: even in the 80's and 90's they still drop axles, i've got a 2" mor-drop.

Vanner68
12-29-2000, 09:42 PM
Thanks, I wasn't sure if Mor-Drop was still around. How do you like the lowered axle? any problems?

Duane 70gmc
12-29-2000, 11:12 PM
Is there a tire clearance issue that should be addressed here. Just curious as to how low you can go with out a problem. Doesn't seem like there is much room. I do like the idea though. <g>

------------------
Duane
Proud owner of a 1970 GMC 108" V-8 Vintage Van
Any ?
Email:
dkh7d108@hotmail.com
VCVC Rules

prostreet65
12-30-2000, 01:19 PM
Don't know but we're gonna find out!!!

prostreet65
12-30-2000, 01:33 PM
Duane, your brother's Galaxy is awesome!
About that low would be "just right!" Don't
know if it's possible on the van though,
might have to tub the front too...Does anyone
know where to get a dropped axle?
Later, John

Duane 70gmc
12-30-2000, 09:36 PM
Thanks for the comments on my bro's Galaxie, he's pretty happy with the progress so far. I'll forward your comments to him, I know he'll appreciate them a ton.

As far as tubbing the front, it seems with the seat in good position, the roof, and the wheel well, I'm not sure there is enough room to lower it much, but like I said, I still luv the idea. One of the other added benefits would be reducing the chances of a roll over with it lowered. Not a bad thing at all.

And just for kicks, I'm assuming you used my website link to see the one photo. Well try thius link to a website I threw together for him. http://www.geocities.com/speedfelon/

------------------
Duane
Proud owner of a 1970 GMC 108" V-8 Vintage Van
Any ?
Email:
dkh7d108@hotmail.com
VCVC Rules