PDA

View Full Version : Smiley's Final Ride?

smiley
02-26-2001, 11:39 AM
I had a strange thought the other day, and I'm going to pursue it.

I was watching part of the news with the Dale Earnhardt funeral. The video showed the funeral procession heading out of the church and down a street. The newsman spoke, in his newsman voice: "...As the procession heads out on Dale Earnhardt's final ride". How depressing? One of the world's most reknowned racers; a man who lived behind the wheel; going for his "final ride" in a hearse. I'm not trying to be disrespectful or morbid here, but the man deserved a better "final ride". Which got me to thinking...

I don't want my final ride to be in a hearse either. Besides, there's no law stating that I have ride in one.

Yes, you know where I'm heading. When the day comes, I'm going out in style. In fact, the whole procession will consist of early Chevy vans. It has been stated and in my will, it shall be written.

pat69chevan
02-26-2001, 03:06 PM
i agree with you on that decision, if anything was to happen to me, i planned on leaving my 69 108 to my best friend, my oldest brother. he appreciates my chevy and i know that he would keep it in the family. my cousin was a top notch auto body man who could do anything with old cars, his hobby was taking model kit cars, assembling them and detailing them to look like the real thing. about a year and a half ago, he died of brain cancer and his wife buried him with his favorite model cars, cool!!!!!

take care

pat

Vanner68
02-26-2001, 08:06 PM
i've even heard of people being buried IN their favorite cars........But would that be a waste of an Early? http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/wink.gif

gotavan
02-28-2001, 09:32 PM
A few years back I had a 1957 Cadillac Eureka side loader hearse. You think old vans attract attention, that beast stopped traffic dead. Park in front of a restraunt and they want you gone. Its gone now I traded it to a local junkyard for a couple 57 Chevys. They kept it in the yard for a couple years,but they had a crusher come in cleaned the place out there were several vans in there also. Anyway my brother in law got a Caddy hearse, flamed it,and got a casket at a discout surplus store we all took rides in it. So I can say I've ridden in a casket in the back of a hearse. There's a cool site called "Grim Rides" take a look. Please don't bury any vans we need to save as many as we can. Dan

------------------
gotavan

smiley
02-28-2001, 11:17 PM
No, I don't want to be buried in the van. I would just like to know that my "last ride" would be in one. Maybe with a PA system blaring "Slow Ride" by Foghat...

Well, I guess that would be pushing it. Forget the Foghat.

sambowie
03-01-2001, 10:34 AM
Sounds like something from the Simpson's.

68chevyboy
03-01-2001, 02:01 PM
call me freaky, but hearses are my second favorite type of car on earth. i love caddies and stationwagons, but a REAL caddy stationwagon was never made.

pat69chevan
03-01-2001, 03:01 PM
i like old caddies myself but i dont think that i would want to own one. i would have to say that if i could pick a cool car i would own besides my van, it would be a 59 elcamino, or a 50 chevy two door.

Vanner68
03-01-2001, 03:20 PM
Early 60's Mopars. Weirdest looking cars ever built. Ugly as sin. Unfortunately, priced high as h*ll right now.

MoonJoe
03-01-2001, 08:42 PM
Smiley, when that fateful day does come and I hope not too soon. I would gladly follow the procession with "Slowride" blaring from my van. (Hopefully my van will be done by then http://www.vcvc.org/ubb/smile.gif!) Foghat was the first concert I ever went to, So I can relate!