PDA

View Full Version : Going Crusin'

gregw98
10-12-2002, 08:57 AM
Heading out to Biloxi to go look for Vans. I don't think anyone in the VCVC is going except me. Supposed to be over 5,000 street rods. Hopefully I can find some new vanners. http://www.cruisinthecoast.com/main.shtml
Greg

gregw98
10-12-2002, 11:57 PM
Well, I got back from the cruise. Lots of "Eye Candy". I thought I was in California, with all the cars and trucks. Over 10,000 vintage vehicles, mostly 50s and 60s. It was overwhelming. It covered about 35 miles of beach , overlooking the Gulf Coast. I guess it would have been best to just park and sit and watch them go by. Believe it or not, the only 60s van that I saw, was mine. I guess the odds were 10,000/1. Had a few people ask me about my van, but overall, I had nothing on those 20-40 thousand dollar cars. Most of them had more money in their paint jobs than I do in my whole vehicle. But I can drive mine everyday and not just 3 times a year. I came away in awe and a little depressed. Kind of like going to Bill Gates house for dinner, then coming home and eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for a late night snack.
Oh well, think I'll go put my heater back in the van. I just put a new coat of "rattle can" black on it.
Greg

larry dunn
10-13-2002, 07:44 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gregw98:
Well, I got back from the cruise. Lots of "Eye Candy". I thought I was in California, with all the cars and trucks. Over 10,000 vintage vehicles, mostly 50s and 60s. It was overwhelming. It covered about 35 miles of beach , overlooking the Gulf Coast. I guess it would have been best to just park and sit and watch them go by. Believe it or not, the only 60s van that I saw, was mine. I guess the odds were 10,000/1. Had a few people ask me about my van, but overall, I had nothing on those 20-40 thousand dollar cars. Most of them had more money in their paint jobs than I do in my whole vehicle. But I can drive mine everyday and not just 3 times a year. I came away in awe and a little depressed. Kind of like going to Bill Gates house for dinner, then coming home and eating a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for a late night snack.
Oh well, think I'll go put my heater back in the van. I just put a new coat of "rattle can" black on it.
Greg <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

it' all about style we have our own. i can't explane it . if i have to explane your not a vanner

MoonJoe
10-13-2002, 08:42 AM
Every Saturday morning, here in the land of 10,000+ cars, when the surf is flat, I will drive through the local gathering spot for old classics. It is in a strip mall with a donut shop and there are about 100 cars. Some of them in the upwards of the $20,000 to $30,000 range in value like you described Greg.

I always get a kick out of the occasional head turning I get. When they see my rusty Neptune cruising through with the boards strapped on top while I slowly look at their museum like cars from my functional classic.

It is like a visit from a portion of their past that they forgotten about....Oh yeah, I remember those vans....mmmmmm....

Joe

larry dunn
10-13-2002, 01:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MoonJoe:
Every Saturday morning, here in the land of 10,000+ cars, when the surf is flat, I will drive through the local gathering spot for old classics. It is in a strip mall with a donut shop and there are about 100 cars. Some of them in the upwards of the $20,000 to $30,000 range in value like you described Greg.

I always get a kick out of the occasional head turning I get. When they see my rusty Neptune cruising through with the boards strapped on top while I slowly look at their museum like cars from my functional classic.

It is like a visit from a portion of their past that they forgotten about....Oh yeah, I remember those vans....mmmmmm....

Joe <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
we are for real..i am 50 years and drive the best dam ride in fla. a 66 gmc with my surf boards and fishing poles if i wanted a lexus i would drive one i choose my van thanks

donivan
10-13-2002, 09:21 PM
This is our Religion,,,,,,,,

gregw98
10-14-2002, 12:00 AM
Don't get me wrong guys, I really like my van. Just seeing all those cars, reminded me of the one's that I have had, and wishing that I had hung on to them. We will take the, "Cool van Dude", just the way they are. Whether it be 6 colors of primer and paint, or a $2000.00 paint job, people still look at the Earlies and have a story to tell you or want to ask about it. Especially here in the Deep South, when it is very rare to see one. Besides mine and Smiley's, I think that there are only 2 more in this city of 1 million people in the metro area.
Greg

Dan Wilson
10-14-2002, 09:36 PM
A car show full of beautiful vintage iron,hundreds in fact,but only one lone van. Poor old chevy van,never got no respect,beat up,neglected,lived in,haulen stuff all it's life,people always making cracks,never got a break.....till one day at a car show,looking pretty good in fact all spiffed up,ready for it's new life as a classic like it's long appreciated bothers'n'sisters. Hey,what's that? Chevy made a '60's van that wasn't a corvan? Crap,that's the coolest thing I have ever seen,where did you get that? Sure,you still get the cracks,but they are half hearted,almost forced as if they felt bad but
just had to say something cause,well it's a van. Things are a little different in vanland these days and maybe one day,people will scramble to get an old early,but for now
we have them and we love them quirks and all.
Thanks to all you folks,we have great thing going here,you are all the True vanners,and will inspire a new generation of vanners. I know,a little sappy perhaps but these damn vans do that to ya.

FAT BOY
10-14-2002, 10:31 PM
Hi y`all:
18 months ago my oldest son and I went to a classic car show and cruise in Old Town Florida.There was 978 HIGH dollar cars and trucks but not one early or evan a forward control Ford or Dodge.Many millions of bucks
but I dont think many of them were daily drivers.I drive my early every day sometimes just to the grocery store.Several of the high buck classics here in town are trailored to car shows I tell the owners the cars were made to drive not to trailor.They think I`m dumb to drive my ol gal BUT they do say they see her all over the place.
Thats what makes us early vanners a separate bunch of guys.
FATBOY

------------------
Gary K Sandfort

gregw98
10-15-2002, 12:01 AM
Here in N.O., they have a "Cruze Nite" once a month at a mall parking lot. I go about 3 times a year and see the same 2 or 3 hundred cars there. If I go in the van, I park with the rest of the spectators and walk around the viewing area. Now I love cars, and have had several classics that I fixed up. But I always did it for Me, and drove them everyday. I didn't restore them for the OOHs and AHHs, I did them for my own pleasure. They weren't perfect, but they were perfect, for me. I may sound bitter about Trophy Cars, maybe because I want to drive them or at least go for a ride in them. If I had one , I would sell it and take the money and buy 2 or 3 daily driver Classics. Of course now, if I had Taz's van, I would never sell it. IF YOU CAN'T DRIVE IT, DON'T BUY IT. Just my 2 cents, for what that is worth!!!!
Greg