• Show
Clear All
  • van-itti
    VCVC Member
    • Jan 2008

It can happen

While the other kids are away enjoying that East Coast National Evant
    us cool kids should start a serious discussion as to what needs to happen
    so we can get the map unfolded ALL the way when choosing a location for the festivities.

Apparently they are using a genuine Louis and Clark map...
    Gets them to Seattle for the C of Cs but the Southwest hasnt been discovered yet. LOL

While yes there is a get together of sorts here on the left side, the years we attended
    our rig was 1 of 2 vintage vans that were there. Most "vanners" were in self contained RV diesel powered
    behemoths. Im not sure this event occurs anymore. Turbo Bob, can you answer that?

We have the numbers. We have the locations. Lets organize and get them to notice us over here...
    Got ideas? Suggestions? Know what needs to occur so we can be included? Sounds like you could help!
    PM me.
    Mike
  • kookykrispy
    VCVC Member
    • Oct 2002

like in the movie The Warriors, we just need to unite the gangs. There are tons of vanners in SoCal, several clubs in the LA area It happened for C of C in 2011, and was a great turn-out in Anaheim, CA for a national eVANt, even though it was in February and the show got rained out. I think one of the main issues is the eVANts are not well known or advertised. Many vanners use instagram and don't look at VCVC or V-V or vanning.com or facebook, there is not one central place for information. I believe a major Van eVANt could be huge in SoCal, but needs to be properly planned and promoted heavily, and needs to be someplace within the general L.A. area.

One thing cool about the van scene in SoCal is it seems to be a younger crowd, at least the couple meets I have been to recently in San Diego and San Pedro.
    Last edited by kookykrispy; 07-27-2019, 08:04 PM.

64' wikivan 292 tripower/4 speed/2.56 posi
    '64 Red Baron no engine/trans
    '66 "Lucky" 230/3 onda tree/project.. soon to be 400SBC/200r/3.73 posi

Originally posted by Vanner68
    Remember, they're still printing money, but they aren't making any more earlies!

Comment

• Richie66
      VCVC Member
      • Feb 2015

I'm in So Cal and am younger in heart but like Indiana Jones said it's not the age but the mileage...been grinding crud off my cross member in 100 degree heat and removed the old gas line to get to more of the frame. I'm all in. Click image for larger version

Name:	20190727_181550.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	445408more pictures soon
      1964 Sears van current project
      1966 GMC Handivan on the backburner

Comment

• kookykrispy
        VCVC Member
        • Oct 2002

both you guys get on instagram and find me, I'm "vintagevanner" on there

Remember, they're still printing money, but they aren't making any more earlies!

Comment

• van-itti
          VCVC Member
          • Jan 2008

I agree we need to get organized. Having a younger base of vanners is great as long as
          the old school folks can show them what its all about. "Ive got a van...now what?"
          Sometimes getting people motivated can be an issue also.
          Left the club, sold the van, passed away..(Sorry, thats a thing)

As far as social media this (VCVC) is as far as I go the internetie way..(is that a thing?)
          Mike

Comment

• kookykrispy
            VCVC Member
            • Oct 2002

I can see a natural progression would be to host the C of C in Las Vegas, NV. (can't think of a better place for it, anywhere!) Then build on the momentum and plan a Nationals someplace in SoCal

Comment

• van-itti
              VCVC Member
              • Jan 2008

Ok...how can we make that happen?
              Along with the National Parks there are some great campgrounds
              as long as we reserve early enough we could have the entire park.

O'Neill or Caspers are regional campgrounds here in SoCal with hook-ups
              or primitive sites, showers, all that outdoor stuff...just have to reserve ahead.

Moro Beach/ Crystal Cove is another and it overlooks the ocean but has a limited number of sites.
              They are all $25 a nite...
              Mike

Comment

• Wookee
                VCVC Member
                • Oct 2002

The lower west coast has not been forgotten about.
                While the van scene is growing out there.
                There has been nobody attending a Council of Council meetings to represent them and place a bid for a National event.
                Remember the whole bid process was established way before the times of social media.or even the internet.
                Vanners used flyers handed out at events to let other vanners know about up coming events.
                There is a lot of leg work that needs to go down.Before a bid can be placed.
                There just has not been any one or group who is willing to do the needed work to place a bid...
                Its a "van thing". A life style you have to live to understand!!!!

Comment

• van-itti
                  VCVC Member
                  • Jan 2008

Ok...there is some sort of behest.

Wook.

Youve been there.
                  Please elaborate.
                  What has to happen? Find the site first?
                  Get permits and such?
                  Does there need to be an actual organized club with elected officers?

Who is the sort of Imperial Potentate that handles the selection?
                  Last edited by van-itti; 07-30-2019, 09:42 AM.
                  Mike

Comment

• 66BeachCruiser
                    VCVC Member
                    • Sep 2009

I was willing to drive to last year's nationals in Indiana from here in Los Ángeles, CA. It would have been a day and 6hrs without stopping but was going to obviously make different rest stops. My van was not ready and when the week came a reality check with that summer's brutal heat made me want to do several upgrades that will take on a National trip as such. I think we need to travel, be willing to travel, and show up, and make a presence to other Nationals before expecting others to come here and do the same. This year's National was clearly not doable coming from California unless I planned on flying in without my van. I'd like to show up in my van ideally. But, hey I would love it if it was here in CA. The scene here is alive and well! Love it. Too bad I'm missing it since my van is currently down. If we did get a Nationals here it would bring in this crowd and hopefully create a desire for more west coasters to want to travel to other Nationals. For now I'd be happy to get a Nationals in the middle. If you guys want to organize and create a chapter of sorts to create meets, create a presence, and eventually have a say, I'm all for it. Joe, I don't have Instagram but can start one up. For me, first thing is let's get my van back on the road. Then, let's get back to joining the scene here, and reassess my van for further upgrades or maintenance needed to make a National trip to plan ahead. Notice I said let's. That means get over to Reseda and help me finish these upgrades! Just kidding! My AC compressor is too close to the 2nd gen doghouse I'm putting in. I'm trying to see how I can create more clearance before final cuts to the floor and bolt down, that's where I'm at....
                    1966 Chevy Sportvan seafoam green/white
                    Sliding ragtop
                    230 straight six
                    HEI distributor
                    12SI alternator
                    2bbl 32/36 Progressive carb upgrade with 1 to 2bbl carb adapter
                    200r4 w/stock auto shifter, custom hanger, 96 suburban trans cooler
                    3:36 rear
                    Front Disk Brake conversion with Dual master
                    Recored radiator to 3core
                    5 blade fan
                    belly pan.

Comment

• Wookee
                      VCVC Member
                      • Oct 2002

Originally posted by van-itti View Post
                      Ok...there is some sort of behest.

Who is the sort of Imperial Potentate that handles the selection?
                      a Bid has to be put together by a group of vanners.
                      This requires a decent sized fair grounds that can be rented for at least a week.
                      there is a Nats board that helps over see the bids.
                      When all of the details are in place and agreed upon.
                      The bid is then taken to the Council of Councils meeting and it it brought before the attending van clubs.
                      The rest of the remaining details are worked out and a date is set up.

This is a very brief summary of what goes down...
                      Last edited by Wookee; 07-31-2019, 11:02 AM.
                      Its a "van thing". A life style you have to live to understand!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X