Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Our 65 we just bought

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our 65 we just bought

Here are some pictures of our 65 we just bought, no firm plans yet. No trans in it, motor supposedly is seized (straight 6), needs tires, suspension work, probably brakes, gas tank, etc... been sitting for over 10 years, it was in a garage in northern MN.

and one all cleaned up:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WOW!! Very interesting piece, hope it gets the attention it deserves. There's a ton of work already into this little beauty! Keep us posted on the progress please.

Jerry

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Star Dreamer,Good to see you here,I saw your new (old van) over on vannin .com. What a great find. Look forward to seeing where you guys take this one ! Welcome aboard. Bill

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool looking old custom. Nice to see another Minnesota vanner on here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Great find,& project. What kind of other mods did they all do. How much has it been choped??(doesn't look like much ,just enough) If you need parts just ask.
    Tom

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have a special place in my heart for heavily customized vans. what you have there is a very neat piece. please do show us more details and some details on how you came across it and what your plans are. you have our attention. john

VCVC Member / Moderator gregw98's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dude, I'm having flashbacks. Son of PrimerDonna. Now where are my bellbottoms?
    Last edited by gregw98; 07-08-2011 at 08:29 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

You all know the hot lick in the custom world is a lower stance.
    vanners have been giving there vans a lower look for years.
    We never touched the suspension on our vans.
    We achieved this "look"by adding flares a front spoiler and ground effects,along with the right tire and wheel combo.

I am glad there is somebody else out there that can see a van for what it can be(the potential it has)and over look the work that is right in front of you........
    Some times this way of looking at potential projects can be a curse.
    The challenge of a project like this can be very exciting.

Star Dreamer ,make sure you stop by our camp at the Nationals ,introduce your self, show of your ISCA prize winning late model van......

I see another prize winning father /son project in the works here.........

........Wookee
    Its a "van thing". A life style you have to live to understand!!!!

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

welcome to the site some very interesting body mods good luck lots of info here weave

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone, hopefully it wont take the 30 years that the late model did.

Kustomizer, are you going to the Nats or are you going to the Preston, MN van event in August?

Savage, I am sure we will need lots of parts. Don't know how much it has been chopped, if you see me with a tape measure scratching wookees new paint at the Nats I am just trying to find out how much. Mods that are done so far are: metal gullwing side door, clam sheel rear doors, large moon roof in front area, all metal flares and side skirts, redneck helper springs, air shocks on front?, & poor job of mounting side windows.

Planetvear, we found it on craigslist add back in November, very poor pictures, plus with bad weather never got a chance to check it out (it was about 4 1/2 hours North from our house). Finally had a chance to get up that way, called the owner to see if he still had it for sale. Went up and checked it out on a saturday last month, (was in a real dump of a place) and called the owner back on sunday gave him an offer and went back to pick it up that day.

Wookee, we will see you next week at the Nats, we are planning on leaving on Tuesday morning or maybe late Monday.
    1978 Chevy Van Full Custom - "Star Dreamer"
    1965 Chevy Van Radical - Barn find, just found June 2011

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Mine took over 10 years to get it under paint in stock configurations.
    While I am a sucker for a big project,and I have the welding fabrication skills.The time is not there to do a chop from scratch.
    I would love to find one at a reasonable price.That has been started and most of the work done right.

l am looking forward to meeting you next week.I have followed you adventures with your late model very closely on vannin.com....

........Wookee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont have the welding skills but my sons do, so that portion of the project is up to them, lol! The van is at my oldest sons place in Wisconsin which is good because he has the hoists to work on it and the welders up there. Our first plan of attack will probably be to get it up on one of the lifts in his garage to see what the underside looks like and what butcher job they did to the suspension. We could see a redneck helper spring on the drivers side rear leaf (a coil spring stuck between leaf spring and the frame, you maybe able to see it in the attached picture) and my son says he saw what looked like airshocks on the front. We think they tried lowering it but took too much out. I need to see how many leaves the springs are suppose to have stock and see if they removed any.

Need to get some tires on it as the ones on it are shot and don't hold air for very long.

Then we will start a list of what it needs, a list of our wants, and a list of our fantasies and see what comes our way!

I may try to talk my kid into bringing it up to Taz's Chevy Fest
    Dave
    Last edited by Star Dreamer; 07-08-2011 at 10:03 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad your saving this one!!!! Love the clam shell back door, hope I can make Taz Fest to see it up close

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Welding skills come in handy on these old girls.
    You are never too old to learn a new trick or two.
    I did notice they used the outer door frame on the rear clam shell.
    Not a bad thing if it is done right.
    Not too hard to fix if it is done wrong.

.........Wookee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the clam shell door, it looks like they actually used the back doors and welded them together. I will have to get some better pictures of how they did it, but down the middle vertically you could see where they spliced a piece between the doors. This picture shows the upper door open with the side of what looks like is the original door.

This picture shows how they did the skin wrapping around just like a factory door and how they formed up the bottom of the top door. Most of the rust appears to be surface rust. The holes we think were drain holes, worked good when we washed out the inside at the car wash.

They did a similar forming job on the top of the lower door and used pickup tailgate supports.

Wished they had done a similar job on the side gull wing it is light weight but it is pretty flimsy and the hinges are all out of wack. Inside view of side door:

No latches either, currently both the rear and the side doors are held shut with ratchet straps!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

it does look like the used the inner frame work of the doors them selves.
    It also looks like they used a piece of outer sheet metal to skin the door frames out.
    This is a big mist take some guys did in the past.Was to weld the doors together and try to fill the gap left in the outer skin with a filler piece.
    Because the outer sheet metal is so light.Welding the filler in can cause allot of warping /filler work right in the middle of your newly made door.
    I don't see any mud work in the center of ether door.Two other Earlies more than likely gave there lives/ sheet metal for this van to be built.
    Back when this van was built there where allot more of these old girls laying around .Unlike now a days ....

........Wookee
    Last edited by Wookee; 07-09-2011 at 07:32 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not going to make the Nats this year, no cash and the van is not ready, but I'm going to the 40th next year! Didn't know about the event in Preston, MN, can you give me some more info or a link and I will defiantly try to make that event.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a link to a flyer for the evant in Preston on Aug 5-7.

http://www.threetrailsdesigns.com/HO...nners_2011.pdf

There are also some other events coming up that are close by:
    Corn Belt Van Council "Back to Basics" August 12-14 near St. Charles, MN at Camp Fukowie (We cant make that on, family doings, it figures when they are only a couple miles from home)

Taz's Vintage Chevy Van Fest, Sept 4 in Waukegan, IL

Bar City Vans, "Octoberfest Truck In", September 16-18, West Salem, WI (Near Lacrosse)

Hy Rollin Vans, "A Howling Van-pir-te", October 7-9, Elkhorn, WI (Same place as the 40th nationals)

We may do some car shows up near the twin cities too, I will let you know if we head up that way for any. Car Craft Summer Nationals in St Paul is the weekend after the Van Nats, we may try to go go but not likely due to costs and just getting back from the Van Nats.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Dreamer View Post
    Here is a link to a flyer for the evant in Preston on Aug 5-7.

http://www.threetrailsdesigns.com/HO...nners_2011.pdf

There are also some other events coming up that are close by:
    Corn Belt Van Council "Back to Basics" August 12-14 near St. Charles, MN at Camp Fukowie (We cant make that on, family doings, it figures when they are only a couple miles from home)

Taz's Vintage Chevy Van Fest, Sept 4 in Waukegan, IL

Bar City Vans, "Octoberfest Truck In", September 16-18, West Salem, WI (Near Lacrosse)

Hy Rollin Vans, "A Howling Van-pir-te", October 7-9, Elkhorn, WI (Same place as the 40th nationals)

We may do some car shows up near the twin cities too, I will let you know if we head up that way for any. Car Craft Summer Nationals in St Paul is the weekend after the Van Nats, we may try to go go but not likely due to costs and just getting back from the Van Nats.
    Thanks for the info, I'll see what I can do to make some of them. I was thinking about the Bar City Octoberfest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update

Ok, Just got off the phone with a previous owner. The guy I bought it from, had it for 10 years and didn't do anything with it. The guy I just talked to was the previous owner that he bought it from. He had it for 11 years. He used to work for a salvage yard and the van came in one day to be crushed back in 1990. He thought the van looked pretty good so he arranged to buy it and was the one that saved it from the crusher. He brought it home and parked it in his garage and that is where it sat till he sold it. He didn't have any info on who built it or who owned it before him. I told him when we get it running we will give him a shout.

Basically this van has been sitting in the same shape for over 21 years. Guess it needs to be brought back to life some.

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i can't imagine that someone would send something that nice to the boneyard. it is great that you found it and are going to resurrect it.

Certifiable Vanatic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The style of work on this van looks to be the work of Buster Gibson, the man that did all the sheet metal on the
    "War Lord", "Easy Money", "I'm Easy", "Satan's Palace" and was one of the first people to bring fiberglass flairs, sunvisors, hoods, to vanners.
    Charley
    Crazy840

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Charley, If you happen to know how to get a hold of Buster, drop us a PM. One of the Warlord's that we are familar with had more regular style of flares but did have a chopped top. We actually think the flares look more like that from Streetable Customs on vans like the Omen, Eight is Enough or Alien and the DeathStar (which was at this years nats) and soem of them were built by a Jim Oldaker (one article on Alien says Jim also owned Warlord). I found an article on the Warlord that Jim built (painted Candy Red) in the June 1979 1001 Truck & Van ideas magazine and it says that he chopped it but used the rear pan, flares and chin spolier that was on the van originally built by a George McKiddie, painted green at that time). Some of these vans have a lot of history behind them.

Certifiable Vanatic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Buster did do George Mc Kiddie's Green Warlord. I saw it being built.
    Charley
    Crazy840

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We picked up some tires for the early this weekend. We got some BF Goodrich TA's, (2) 235/60R14 and (2) 225/60R14, even mounted on some chrome wheels. We needed new tires as the old ones were so dry rotted some only held air for about 10 minutes. As soon as I can get them up to my kids place and mounted on the van, I will take a few more pictures and post them.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looking forward to seeing updated pics!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that thing is neat....gotta swap out those weird rv side windows though.....that would be a great reason to fab in some cooler windows if it was up to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If we are lucky, I will be up at my kids place where the van is at either the weekend of Aug 20-21 or the 27th-28 so I can get the new tires on it, get some pics and hopefully get it up on the lift to see what it needs as far as underside suspension work & floor work. Then if all goes good, it will get loaded up in the trailer to head to Taz's event over Labor day weekend so we can break it in right by getting it to an evant (even though it wont have a tranny in it yet)! Maybe we will see what parts we can load up to take home with us from Taz's.

The windows will have to stay for a while as our main focus is going to be getting a motor and tranny in it and getting it running, then working on the suspension and brakes to get it driveable. Besides we don't mind the windows in the back, many nice vans including the Best of Show at this years Nats "Pirates of the Caravan" and our van "Star Dreamer" has them and they work great. It will depend on what the final theme and use the van will get.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just my 2 cents.....such a wild van should have some wilder windows.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get it a driver first......
    The rest will fall right into place..........
    With the "Rat Rod" look being the hot look right now.It's current look fits right in....

........Wookee

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that is so true joe. in the old days it would be an unfinished project. nowadays it could be perceived as a rat-rod style. i personally would not hesitate to drive the van around as-is. it has a nice patina. john

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wink Running

Wookee,well said!!!!
    the body don't make the Early move.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

I always got my Earlies road worthy 1st.Drove around in them ugly,until I was ready to start doing body work.
    I remember taking a convoy of vanners to a run and one of the new members in our club made an off color remark to me about how my1st gen van looked and the miss matched front seats.I had just redid all of the brakes had new tires and wheels installed and had king pins and bushings done.........
    I just answered with a zing comment like it may be ugly but it is leading this convoy........
    The neat thing about these old girls is they attract allot of attention no matter what condition they are in.........

.........Wookee
    Last edited by Wookee; 08-16-2011 at 10:30 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i agree totally.
    it can look great sitting in your garage but who cares if you cant drive it around.
    i always do body work last other than maybe upholstery....but i think im gonna have to get my seats done in my van before i tackle the out side.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will be heading up to the van this weekend, new tires are loaded in the car already and we will be getting them mounted on the van, then moving it into the garage and up on the hoist taking pictures along the way. Hope to get a shopping list together and work out a plan of attack.

Then next weekend I hope to head back up there with the truck and trailer to load it up to take it to Taz's over Labor day just to get its first evant out of the way and will bring our shopping list with us!

As others have said, right now the main focus is to try to get it running and keep the body from getting worse, all subject to change however.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

I can't think of a better first time event for any early other than Taz Fest.
    Please take some pictures of you adventure if you can.
    This event is on my "Bucket List".......
    Have Fun ......

...........Wookee

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well we made it to the kids place yesterday to work on the van.
    Got it up on the hoist, and checks out the underside, looks repairable.

looks like they torched out the old tranny mount, guess we wont be putting a stock tranny back in!:

Motor was locked up solid, they had unbolted the pan, so out it came:

Work on the gull wing door:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And also:
    New (used) Wheels & tires:

We like the stance, only problem is there is no motor tranny or interior in this pic, she may drag bottom when we get all that in there, guess we will need some suspension work!

We also rework the clam shell rear door hinges and got that working again. Worked on some temporary door catches for the clamshell rear door and gull wing so it won't open up going down the road on the open trailer to Taz's. Plus welded up all the various drilled holes in the body we could find, trying to get it closer to water tight. Still need new door and window seals to complete that.

We got quite a bit done for only one day. Next weekend I will go back up and load it on the trailer for the trip to Taz's over Labor Day.

Now the planning starts: 1st order of business is to get in running with new motor, tranny, wiring and stopping with new brake lines (old ones very rusted and started leaking while we had it on the hoist.) Drum brakes look fine, we will worry about changing out to disks at a later date.

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    honestly stardreamer, the van is not all that bad as far as i can see. you have a great piece there to start with. attack one area at a time and you will have no problem building a radical show van. i am personally looking forward to seeing your progress, so do post photo's as time allows. thanks. john

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heck, I like it just the way it sits right now. The new wheels is all that it needed. Well,....... besides a drivetrain.
    66NO-DICE

User Tag List