Thread: Clifford 6=8 combination kit install

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clifford 6=8 combination kit install

Hi

I am considering buying the Clifford combination kit (www.cliffordperformance.net) part 52-0250 for my 65. My van has the 230/140hp, 3 spd.

I was wondering if anybody has installed this kit in their van. Were you happy with the upgrade? Were there any issues? Any fabrication/modifications required?
    I also bought an HEI upgrade but have yet to install.

Thanks
    Jon

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.cliffordperformance.net/M...gory_Code=C250

Just my opinion, but it seems to me $1257 is a whole lot of money to pay for a 4 barrel intake, a weber carb and some headers... clifford stuff is usually pretty spendy.

From what I know about clifford, the 4 barrel manifolds are very close to the side of the 1st gen doghouse. The headers do not have any provision for carb heat, so you will have to plumb into the cooling system for carb heat to the intake... and it looks like the plumbing for water will be an additional cost since its not included in their 'kit'. The water plumbed into the intake works ok from what others have said, but I believe it is not as good as the factory manifold heat for cold starts in the winter. I've never used a weber carb, so I can't comment on them. People seem to like them.

For intake/exhaust upgrades on the six, I suggest either a 2x1 or 3x1 offenhauser intake with your choice of carbs... these fit the 1st gen doghouse much better than a 4 barrel manifold.

For exhaust, I suggest using a factory manifold of some kind because they retain the original carb heat. Headers for the six cylinder do not have carb heat and that is a potential problem for cold weather starting. You need that carb heat, or your going to get poor atomization and raw fuel pooling on the cold intake floor, especially on an aluminum manifold.

Options: You can swap in a 292 manifold, which has larger 2.5" outlet and flows better than the 194-230-250 manifold. You can find the 3 bolt 292 manifolds used from older chevy or GMC trucks. or buy one new off ebay, but keep in mind they are not cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250-4-1-292-...#ht_1041wt_698

Or, send your factory exhaust manifold to Kraig Sexton (splitzmanifolds) 214-809-1905 and have him split it into dual exhaust. He does nice work.

Doing intake and exhaust on a 230 will look and sound cool but those mods alone is not really going to give you much power/torque gain anyways... best bang for the buck is to swap in an engine with more cubes... a 250 is a direct bolt in

or consider a 292 or a v8, but those are alot more fabrication and not direct bolt in on a 1st gen.

64' wikivan 230/4 onda tree/2.56 posi
    '64 Red Baron no engine/trans
    '66 "Lucky" 230/3 onda tree/project

Quote Originally Posted by Vanner68 View Post
    Remember, they're still printing money, but they aren't making any more earlies!

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    clifford intake will not fit. i had the measurements at one time but it wasnt evan close. the offy 4 intake will fit with some work/mods. 2 or 3 1 barrels is your best bet. bone stock can handle all 3. clifford stuff is said to be the best but intake wont fit and you can get 'almost' as good for much less.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It'll Fit!

I just bought the clifford 6=8 and I plan on sticking it on the 230 in my 1st gen. I also have a tube header that I'm gonna make streetable even though it has no heat link to the base of the intake. Great points by KK and if it's bolt on you're looking for, yeah, skip the 4 barrel route. I love to hot-rod and it's going to take a little thinking outside the box to make this streetable. I plan on welding a setup onto the header to mate up with the clifford similar to the factory stuff. I 100% agree that this is necessary for the street even in warm weather. I plan on running a 390cfm holley. I may have to alter the motor mounts to shift the motor over enough but I'm confident it can be done with relative ease. When I get dirty with this project I will chronicle and post pics. Not sure if I'll find the time this summer but soon.

Jerry

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JonnyB, maybe I can help, I use some Clifford products. I think you are doing the right thing to add a lot of power to your engine (I don't recommend use of a 4bbl)

My 65 has a 292, installed to pull a travel trailer (back in 1988). Somehow I made all the right mods the first time and it has run great since that time. I installed the Clifford headers and bought a two bbl Weber DGES carb and adapter from them. I use the stock intake manifold. At Mr. Clifford's recommendation (you could talk directly to him back then) I also bought a Cagel fuel regulator to keep my electric fuel pump from flooding the carb. I did not go with a 4 bbl as I thought it would be too much carb and would just waste gas. The 2 bbl Weber and headers seems to flow just the right amount of air and gas, making a lot of power. I also installed an HEI off of a '74 Nova 6. With all this stuff, whenever I hit the starter, it fires immediately.

The early pulled a 24' travel trailer all over the western USA (as far east as South Dakota) from 88 to 93. I had to put it in storage after we bought a 454 Suburban to pull larger trailers. As we just recently had to sell our newer tow vehicle and trailer, we are now using the early as our tow vehicle again (I am elated). It still runs great, pulls as well or better than it did before (changed to a 3" tailpipe behind an Iron Tuff muffler). Strangely enough, I have never adjusted or even touched the Weber carb since it was installed in 88.

So, I can recommend using the Clifford headers. btw-I was surprised that Clifford made headers specifically for a 292 in a first gen, even though no early ever came with a 292. It fit perfectly. Also, the gaskets provided for the headers tend to get hard and crispy and fail from time to time. I tried a stock gasket and it has been on there for years.
    LARRY OF THE PACIFIC NW
    1965, 292, TH350
    purchased Nov. 22, 1970

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the Clifford headers and intake on my '67 with a 250, and a two barrel carb. We had to cut a hole in the side of the doghouse for carb clearance, and the linkage never did work totally right, but the performance upgrade was phenominal.

Later! Redman.
    2nd gen. 1969, 108, V8.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

User Tag List