Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1966 GMC van. Static drop. Approx how much?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

I bet they are thicker just not enough.

.........Wookee
    Its a "van thing". A life style you have to live to understand!!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [URL=http://private.fotki.com/Vintage-Vans/forum-visual-aids/forum-visual-aids/spock.html]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wasn't there a very similar sportvan with an extreme drop in the NE or Midwest? Same color.. Did it move to California? I shot the guy a note since he is close by and I want the rear seat ha ha!

Aside from it not being practical to drive (I had the same thoughts about where the heck do you sit??) it would still make a pretty cool trailer queen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a reacuring thought that that van is not practical to drive. Why do yall think this is true. I know the engine isn't finished and the floor isn't done but if these Items were done why would it not be practical to drive. its got air suspention so with a flip ov a switch the van can rise to a drivable hight.the air suspention and indipendent suspention will give a better ride than the straight axle and sping rearThe engine is a 4.3 that would be great at the gas pump in these vansespecialy withthe overdrive trans. So im not sure I understand about the not practical to drive. Or are the nasayers just Purist. Nothing wrong with being a purist . just saying.
    Live Your Dreams
    66 Chevy Van (Living The Dream)
    66 Sport Van

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    jacques,
    take a close look at the placement of the front tire relative to where the seating would be, there is no room for a seat . if you do get a seat in there, you will have the steering wheel near your knees and your head through the roof. the problem is that we sit ON the front tire. with such a tall inner fender, you've placed yourself up too high.
    for all intents and purposes, he has painted himself into a corner. pv

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have stared at that thing for 1/2 an hour and I gotta side with Jaques somewhat. With out better pics it looks like the centerline of the front "axle" has been raised from a stock position automatically lowering it. My thinking takes me to ditching the bags and putting adjustable coil overs all the way around to get a "static" right height that would be that lowered effect without giving up ride quality and still be able to steer it. The wheel wells/seating is the limiting factor in these vans from what I can tell. So trying to get the "In The Weeds" look all in one step is going to cause problems for sure. I've been watching a thread on V V and he is doing it in 2 stages. A bagged IFS/4 link in somewhat the stock ride height and then a 4" body drop. Pretty cool but a ton of work. But it keeps the suspension in a usable zone and the drop would be like chopping 4" off the top as far as seating goes.
    64 Project,65 Driver,66 Parts sorta

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eye candy

I've always loved this van ever since I first saw it on here a while back. I have it on my screen saver along with hundreds of other earlies. Its the deluxe with all its original special parts (chrome, horn ring, bench seat, interior paneling...) and that classic color combo. Like smiley said, I just wish it wasn't done to an original deluxe. I'd love to have preserved that thing. Hopefully there's more out there like that one. But since its already been messed with, heck , it has a new six engine, powersteering, and disk brakes. I'm sure seating could be figured out and the bags will raise that thing enough to clear the wells so it can steer. With mods like that and it being a deluxe (having all the accessories most wish for) I'd say it is well worth it. If I had spare money like that I would consider it....but I don't. Now it really has best of both worlds (Deluxe extras and modern tech). Flipping the leaf springs seems the most practical and easier way to go if you don't want to really go crazy fabbing anything up and spending a lot of money. Some people here have even fit 18in wheels to their liking in the stock location I believe. Just saved those updated pictures of that van to my computer...more eye candy

66BeachCruiser
    -even if ya don't see me, I lurk everyday

Certifiable Vanatic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally got it back.

It was in the shop for over two months.
    I ended up getting it bagged.
    At first i was thinking about just a static drop but then i dreamt about going camping with it.
    So, bagging it was the choice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lobster.jpg  

VCVC Member / Moderator gregw98's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a big crayfish. Mmmmm!!!!
    1965 Chevy Sportvan

"He who can reanimate the old and make it new is fit to be a teacher."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have bottomed out twice on the driveway into my local Safeway. Don't think I'll lower it any. But if I did want a lowered van, I would remove the entire floor, Have "Big Boy Toys" in WA. build me a chrome moly tube chassis with dual funny car style cages up front, some adjustable A-arms and coilovers out front and a four link with coilovers out back. Add a 383 chevy Small block mounted right in the middle with a turbo 350 behind it. Got a plan, now I've just got to remember to buy those lottery tickets!! lol (Still be cheaper than restoring one of these)

User Tag List