Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Red

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Need to vent a little.................

I read guys saying progress on the van stopped because life got in the way...........
    There vans are pretty much drivers ........
    Looks like life is going to slow my roll for at least a day of two..

Yesterday was my last decent weather day to work on Big Red.Before I can even slurp down my first cup of coffee.I get a call my little buddy Cali is sick and my daughter is dropping her off at the house.Stick a fork in this day, it's done.My little buddy shows up blowing chunks.I put om my Pap Pap hat on and go to work.

About the time the Price is Right is over my youngest daughter comes rolling down the drive way.She is sick.Also blowing chunks.How ever when she comes in the door she invites my granddaughter to go down stairs and hang with Aunt B.

Cool.

My next project is to replace a couple missing/bad factory wire ends with the compatible plugs /connectors. If I can get this done a hot battery some internal fluids.I can fire this van off...........yea right.......

When I size the mounting stud up for the needed ring connector.I find I do not have what i need in my well stocked electrical connection assortment.Now it is getting dark.Time to call it a day.The wife brings home the needed parts
    The weather channel gets my hopes up by changing there forecast from rain all day to evening showers........The local weather talking head called for rain by 10 O clock this morning......here I am picking at this key board at a little after eleven..........raining way too hard to finish off the needed project.......No fire today......

I have all ways had a lot of respect to M1Dadio.The clean late model running gear swap he performed on his 1st gen was a work of art.
    The stuff the the General's engineers added to an all ready strong running V/8 power plant.Made doing an R+R on one of these vans a little more.........daunting.For me at least.
    Knowing how well a a freshly rebuilt carberated 350 can run in these vans. The venture down this fuel injected road is not really holding as much value to me right at this point........
    Really needing a good daily driver, late model van. NOW. Is not helping matters.
    Last edited by Wookee; 12-16-2014 at 01:24 PM.
    Its a "van thing". A life style you have to live to understand!!!!

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a heated and well lit garage would be the ultimate cure for you joe. day/night/rain or cold would not be able to stop you then. mine changed my life for the better for sure. if i'm not out making a living, you can usually find me in the shop.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

I actually have a nice garage,well lit with decent heat.Due to circumstances beyond my control..This project just could not go in the last open working space..
    Working 12 hour days ,that I used to work.Just are not possible for me to put in any more.Again it is one of those "life issues" I just have to deal with.
    Unfortunately I really underestimated how long this R+R on this van would take.
    Hind sight is 20/20.Looking back on this project.There is a couple of things I probably should have done a little different.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

The ground had not settled in around the garage's foundation and i had a black top drive way laid down.
    Any where in front of the garage with in reach of a 50 foot air hose is fair game for me.
    Wanted and could have swung a 20 X 40 garage but i swam down stream and went with as big of a garage Harford County would let me build.
    28 X 28 was the red line for that build

The gear head down the street has fired off an engine un corked a couple of times..........

My goal is still installing the dog house and not taking it back off till its 1st oil change.
    I get electrical world dialed in.Now I get to go down the vacuum line hi way.
    If I would have know I would be still out here working mid December I would have set my staging table up on stet of steel saw horses instead of a sturdy 55 gallon barrel.The barrel did do well for a month.It got knocked over so a few key parts, hardware that did not get bagged.are now MIA.
    Looks like fire off will be delayed a little more.......

On the bright side of things i get to drive the Mistress tomorrow to run some parts.....
    Last edited by Wookee; 12-17-2014 at 05:34 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookee View Post
    The ground had not settled in around the garage's foundation and i had a black top drive way laid down.
    Any where in front of the garage with in reach of a 50 foot air hose is fair game for me.
    Wanted and could have swung a 20 X 40 garage but i swam down stream and with with as big as garage Harford County would let me build.
    28 X 2 8 was the red line for that build

The gear head down the street has fired off an engine un corked a couple of times..........

My goal is still installing the dog house and not taking it back off till its 1st oil change.
    I get electrical world dialed in.Now I get to go down the vacuum line hi way.
    If I would have know I would be still out here I doing working mid december I would have set my staging table up on a stet of steel saw horses instead of a sturdy 55 gallon barrel.The barrel did do well for a month.It got knocked over so a few key parts, hardware did not get bagged.are now MIA.
    Looks like fire off will be delayed a little more.
    Tall round things make poor workbenches. BTDT.

Also, while organizing my garage I discovered I have several duplicates of tools since the hardware store is nearby and it was faster to just buy another wrench than try to find the missing one.....
    Gregg Groff

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1968 Chevy G20 108 panel Now with 454 power!

1965 Chevy G10 panel- OHC Pontiac inline 6

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just cleaned out my dad`s garage and discovered the same issue with lost tools easier to go
    and buy another, there must have been 6 pipewrenches all the same size and crescent wrenches
    omg 12 of them, 6 the same size, none of which I need cause I have all the same sizes.
    but I still miss him!
    54 chevy panel truck 355 tpi 700r4 325/9in
    64 chevy 90 5.7 tpi 700r4 336 8.2
    69 chevy panel van 5.7 tbi 700r4 336 8.2

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

I was down for a full year the garage was on the verge of a major clean out.That never happened. The hole opened up for the mistress for a bit.It swelled shut with 3 other project waiting for my attention.One project is hopefully a Christmas present.........
    Last edited by Wookee; 12-17-2014 at 11:54 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2399.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	22.7 KB 
ID:	19564

dropped my very clean mud free Cali hood today.
    black primer will just have to hide that sin for a bit.........
    so close but yet so far.......

Name:	DSCN2406.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	50.3 KB 
ID:	19565
    Last edited by Wookee; 12-19-2014 at 01:21 AM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Got another day in ..
    Might have the distributor a tooth out........
    Tomorrow bring her the engine up to TDC. Recheck every thing one more time..........

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

She fired off today!!!!!!!!!!
    One of the transmission cooler lines sprung a leak A brass compression fitting will stop tranny fluid from spraying down on the cross member from a small rust pin hole.The line needs replaced .
    Right now work hardening the new cam needs to be done.the leak is bad enough that it will make a pretty big puddle if I let her idle for the time and RPM's needed to break in the cam.
    She sounded pretty good.Tomorrow is forecasted to be an unseasonably warm fifty degree day.
    Fix leak, dial in the engine/break in the cam, then .............Test Drive.......
    I see light at the end of the tunnel along with pretty green trees beyond the exit.......
    Last edited by Wookee; 12-26-2014 at 10:24 PM.

Certifiable Vanatic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    good deal joe see there is a light at the end of that tunnal

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Still not quite where she needs to be tune up wise.It is very close.pretty sure the cam is broke in.
    I have to keep reminding my self this whole TBI set up is just not as simple as a carb set up.more things need to come into play for this engine to run correctly.
    I also need a couple of vacuum line fittings.
    Rain is supposed to clear out for a couple of days.
    Next step is a test drive...........
    This job kicked my butt

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can tell you from experience, if you do not have a scanner, get one.

trying to troubleshoot a computer controlled vehicle without one is like pissing in the wind.

it will be much cheaper in the long run to bite the bullet and buy the proper test gear than it is to throw parts at it.
    Gregg Groff

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

I do have access to a scanner.This van is an 89 if there is a scanner port I have not seen it yet........
    No open plugs any where in the harness.or under the dash
    All of my newer Cheyys had a scanner port right under the driver side of the dash.only5thingunder this dash is the hood release
    Pretty sure I will need to replace the fuel injectors.
    They are dribbling fuel, instead for spraying fuel into the throttle body.
    The last time I watched them (well over 2 years ago), they where both spraying fuel.........

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disassemble the TBI and soak everything in a good carb cleaner.

i had the same issue with my 87 after it sat over the winter. The injectors are like little solenoids and they get gummy.

the test port may be under the driver seat.
    Gregg Groff

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    as far a a code scanner goes, you can buy an inexpensive one for $50.00 - $100.00 or so. they are mostly OBD-II (on-board diagnostics) readers and will get you pretty close to an issue. they are great for check engine light codes which are stored in the vehicles computer. lots of times you will need additional equipment to really dive into and properly diagnose an issue. each situation is different.
    i remember a guy named marty coming over to my friend marks body shop one afternoon and asking about how much he would charge to install a sunroof in his van. mark said he would do it for $50.00. marty said "are you crazy??? for that kinda money, i'll do it myself"! it was a nice hot july day and i was working on my van and mark was doing other things. a few hours later, the sky to the west got really dark. just before the downpour, marty came pulling in in his van frantic as you can get. he had changed his mind and wanted mark to do the sunroof install. the problem was, he had already cut the hole in the roof. he had laid the new sunroof onto his roof, traced the outline onto the roof and cut the hole the same size as the outside of the new sunroof. guess what....the hole was too big.
    he then paid mark to mig weld the sheet metal back into the roof, cut the hole to the proper size and install the sunroof. that initial $50.00 quote to install the roof looked pretty attractive at that point.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

I had the choice when I ventured out on this project of ether going back to old school carb /HEI/set up or just reuse the factory TBI set up.
    I got the TBI set up to run pretty good just before the engine dropped a cylinder.The engine never had that very smooth TBI sound to it.I am pretty sure the issue was in the valve train.The TBI could have added to this issue
    So far I have pretty much replaced every thing else bolted onto this engine.Going through the throttle body is the next step.
    Because it did seem like the throttle body was in decent running condition before the van went down.I was hoping I could just bolt it back on and ride.......

Back in the day miss cutting sun roof holes happened more than most care to admit.Back then there was a lot of differnt sized sunroofs avalable .
    I do know of a vanner who miss cut his roof.He got lucky and was able to fix the problem by installing a bigger sun roof.Back then (early 80's) there where shops you could walk into and pick out what you wanted and walk out with it.........

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    back in the 70's and 80's, a sunroof was just about the first thing you did to your van.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And now it's the first thing you'd like to get rid of.
    Gregg Groff

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it's funny how times change.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently ran across a barn find Road Runner with an aftermarket sunroof. All I could think was "I bet he really regrets that decision."
    Gregg Groff

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

After dealing with the sun roof in my first van I have had no desire to cut holes in the roofs of any of my vans after that.
    Nothing as soothing as sleeping in your van on a rainy night and not having to deal with wet spots you did not make.....

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i bought an 81 z28 a bunch of years back that someone had installed a sunroof in. needless to say, that was the first thing i removed. went back to a stock roof with a new headliner.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

In this van I really would not mind installing a factory style sunroof.like this........

Name:	costa door gull wing hinge.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	19740

I believe this one is out of a newer Impala
    My 02 Blazer also has one that lives out side 24/7 and the carpets are all ways dry.

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the key to having a leak-free sunroof is utilizing a factory-style roof versus a cut and install aftermarket type sunroof. what frank has there is an impala roof section that he has grafted into the van roof. the successful (leak-free) factory-style roofs utilize a gasketed pan beneath the roof and drain hoses routed down from that pan and through the "a" pillars to the ground beneath the vehicle. the factory uses only a wiper type or similar gasket around the perimeter of the movable panel, but makes no attempt to completely seal the roof from the weather. water that gets through that first line of defense and into the drain pan runs down through the drain hoses in the "a" pillar and to the ground. there may be more updated layouts, but this was how it was done in the mid-90's with great success.
    when our body shop was open, we had a saab w/ a sunroof show up here with water issues. every time the owner used the car after a rainstorm and he came to a stop, his legs would get soaked bad. the (2) drain holes were plugged up. we pulled it apart and cleaned the drain holes of tree debris, which cleared the issue.
    take a walk around a boneyard and choose what you want, big, small, glass or painted metal, it's all out there for consideration.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

I actually got an aluminum framed sunroof to stop leaking.By removing all of the house style sealer.Then applying the flexible black glass sealer.A 1/4 inch thick 1/2 inch wide band applied to the clean van roof sheet meal.Along with a band of the gray clay looking sealer they use to seal aluminum panels on RV's.
    This completely covered the mating surface of the sunroof........reinstalled the sunroffof paying close attention how the pressure was applied by the mounting hardware.Working the pressure from the center out
    Setting in a wet spot driving to work in the morning sucks......All most as bad as sleeping in one....LOL

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've been an actor in both those movies too joe. ah, the memories!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookee View Post
    After dealing with the sun roof in my first van I have had no desire to cut holes in the roofs of any of my vans after that.
    Nothing as soothing as sleeping in your van on a rainy night and not having to deal with wet spots you did not make.....
    And as you get older, the source of the wet spots changes......
    Gregg Groff

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Speak for your self greg........LOL

Certifiable Vanatic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i could never understand well let me say this first the sun roofs i get but the guys who hacked a camper pop up vent in the roof of the vans l.o.l thats a leak wateing to happen

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Woo Hoo the weather warmed up engough here to mosey out to Big Red and tinker with the moody bitch a little bit.
    This also also required me to take a ride up to the local auto parts store.
    Family matters will be calling me away from this project for a few days

Name:	IMG_9768.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	19890

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your yard reminds me of the Krass N Bernie comics.

Last edited by Vanner68; 01-16-2015 at 11:36 AM.
    Gregg Groff

New Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And visor

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Vanner68 View Post
    Your yard reminds me of the Krass N Bernie comics.
    I am proud to be the type of resident HOA's where formed to keep out.
    As soon as Big Red is road worthy my home stead is getting a mass major clean up..........

Name:	DSCN2513.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	97.6 KB 
ID:	19891

Certifiable Vanatic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    harbor freight guy hey joe ??

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

They just opened a store close to my place.I needed a complete set of metric deep sockets.......

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Those sockets are pretty good, HF stuff is in my toolbox too.
    Gregg Groff

Certifiable Vanatic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nothing wrong with there tools i like em too

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

harbor freight

opened one by me . bro in law working there part time where the hell were they when i was wrenchen??????????deep employee discounts..like 40%off even on sale prices' look for there give away coupons in most publications. multi meters/flashlites/ect ect ect stillDW

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

I have to say it did bother me that every thing in the store was made in China.However I have had no issues with any thing bought from there.

User Tag List