Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UPDATE: Confirmed Production Numbers!

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UPDATE: Confirmed Production Numbers!

Hey everyone!

I was filling up today at the gas station and another early pulled in. An old guy named Darryl came over to chat. He had a '65 panel and a '66 window (back at home). He was really charged up about my '64. He said in all his years, he had never seen a "No-Door". We chatted awhile, nice guy, I told him this awesome site and his reply to me was... "Son, I'm much too set in my ways to start messing with compooters at my age!"

This got me thinking, does anyone out there have 1964 Chevy production numbers? Being the old guy had never seen a "No-Door", can anyone let me know the numbers on my van. I'm trying to figure out if my van was widely produced or is it a rare lil' gem. I know when it comes to facts and answers... you cats are the authorities!!!

Thanks in advance for your time! I'm looking forward to hearing what you have to say. Please help shed some light on my baby.

Peace,

-DON-

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In 1969 I believe 6% were made with no side doors. In 1964 the first production year not sure? Any thoughts out there? VP

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perhaps this may help? Approximate numbers provided by Chevrolet. Note, no breakdown for(No-Doors)unfortunately. VP

Joe Russin

As crazy as it seams now,standrd/base modle vans were no side doors vans.
    Side doors were an option that allot of people opted for .........

Remember back then you could set down with a Dealer and "Custom" build your van.any combination on the "build sheet" could be ordered.......

..........Wookee

Banned
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wasn't the cost for side doors $51 plus change in 1964? At that price how many doors would we order today? Ha Ha. Thanks! VP

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

kinda looks like what they did with the 65 for sale in NC windows on pass side only weave65

Joe Russin

Cool

The Ma Bells all over the country ordered allot of Display vans/half window and half panel van......
    Just before I retired from the rail road there was a train load of Dodge vans(pre sprinter) that came in.They were going to the local phone company.......

..........Wookee

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

An old thread...

Ever since Ron passed this information to us, way back when, many have asked how reliable these numbers are. After all, all we had was a typed out page with no way to confirm the validity. With no official GM-backed info, we took this as fact, for the most part. As the years have passed, the uncertainty of the production numbers has become a little more vocal. Well, I have a generation's worth of affirmation to pass along.

Jim Vehko at the GM Heritage Center provided these numbers to an early owner upon his request for 1st gen production numbers. I'll be contacting him to see if the numbers for the 2nd gens are at his fingertips as well.

Exact Figures, according to the GM Heritage Center:

1964:

# Total Panel vans – 22,805
    No Sportvans

1965:
    # Panel vans – 35,270
    # Sportvan – 3,835
    # Sportvan Custom – 1,969
    # Sportvan Deluxe – 1,925

Total vans – 42,999

1966:
    # Panel vans – 28,180
    # Sportvan – 4,209
    # Sportvan Custom – 2,673
    # Sportvan Deluxe – 2,341
    Total vans – 37,403

The most obvious note here, aside from the 99.9% accuracy of the numbers that have been floating around forever, is the breakdown of the Sportvan numbers for 1965!

I hope to have more info to confirm the 2nd gen numbers soon!
    1966 Chevy Display, "Southern Belle"
    1968 Chevy, "Blue Overdose"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is interesting.

I have kept this to myself, as I wanted to discuss this with other members at the nats, but at Spring Back I ran into VP and we had an interesting conversation. A lot of the bad feelings I think are due to the nature of text vs face to face communication. But the topic at hand, production numbers, was discussed. Ron told me how he received them, and flat out asked if I thought they were correct. My answer was that I had no reason not to believe them, but without a second source to confirm I wasn't ready to commit to them.

As to some long time members feelings about VP, well- I'm not going to go into personal disputes but I did find Ron to be personable, and as always, I enjoy talking to people with a long time vanning history.
    Gregg Groff

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1968 Chevy G20 108 panel Now with 454 power!

1965 Chevy G10 panel- OHC Pontiac inline 6

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any idea of what the GMC numbers were? or were they included in these figures?

Great info guys
    1966 GMC Handi-Bus Custom

User Tag List