Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New cargo door striker plates and springs

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New cargo door striker plates and springs

Hello everyone. I wanted to get these posted ASAP. I will explain in detail when I have a chance. First, as a owner of a '67, I realize the need for replacement parts. Also, like most I work a full time job and I am a parent so all of this is a side project.
    My co-worker and I have reproduced the striker plates from 304 stainless steel with a grained finish. They are chamfered for the mounting screws. The springs or anti-rattle clips, are simple but effective.. Made from spring steel. I have ordered new original equipment screws as well. We are offering a kit for one set of doors, which includes top and bottom plates, 2 springs and 6 screws. Shipped via USPS priority mail to your door for $49.95.
    We can take a CC or Pay Pal.
    PLEASE call me direct, M-F 8-4 PM pacific it's the only way I can be sure to fill out the paperwork properly and get them to you.

Jimmy Robbins
    Mannex Corp
    971-227-6184
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very nice jimmy. I expect you should have a few people that would like to have a couple of sets for their vans. if I hadn't had my factory stuff chrome plated a few years ago, I would have jumped on a set myself. good luck sir, and thank you for your efforts. pv

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great idea! I like the look, but chrome on vannibal would stick out like a turd in a punchbowl. Are you offering the anti-rattle clips separate? Id be interested if they would work with a stock latch. Thanks looking good
    1964 Chevy G-10, 194ci, 2 speed Powerglide (aka Vannibal)
    1971 Ford/Shasta E-300 Camper (aka Dreamkrusher)
    1995 Chevy Caprice (aka Babywagon)
    gmc6566 On the Instagrams

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, nice. I think a set of those is in my future. Especially since my van has no anti rattle clips so I didn't know there was any such thing. I'd love to stop that noise.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Very nice! Wish I'd had this opportunity before I chromed mine. The rattle clips are a sought after part. You need 4 per side.
    1966 Chevy Display, "Southern Belle"
    1968 Chevy, "Blue Overdose"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My striker plates are good, but I'd LOVE to get a couple sets of the anti-rattle clips from you. Let us know if you'd be willing to sell them separate.
    Carl

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm assuming these will work on 2nd gen's since they look similar as my 69. always wondered how to fix that door rattle since the rubber stopper is worn out...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good thing about stainless is it just won't wear like mild steel. My originals are worn to the point they resemble an oval opening vs. the factory fit. Jimmy showed these to me today, they are a quality piece. We also discussed fabricating a lower piece which will incorporate a carpet sill plate into the striker plate. This piece would run the width of the door opening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Very nice work, seems as though we have a few members here actually reproducing na parts. I am going to check mine in am for possible purchase, love the stainless steel idea
    If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space..JM2C...hehehe
    Steve

1967 Chevy 90 "Space Truckin"
    350 SBC 260hp/ 350tq, MSD HEI, Holley 4150, Sanderson Block Hugger Headers, BowTie 700R4, 3:36 posi

1973 Chevy 110 "Orange Bang" w emphasis on the BANG :-)
    383 Stroker 440hp/ 480tq, MSD 6AL/ HEI, FiTech, Hooker Full length Headers, BowTie 700R4, 3:73/ Eaton Truetrac, "Cruiseaire" Original

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*update* please read....

I am taking some time from the work schedule this morning to update this project. I did not realize that the top plate also had springs like the bottom until it was mentioned here. My van did not have them.. must have been removed at some point. So the kit will include 4 springs.

SO... The picture shows the original springs, screws (orig and new) and the new top and bottom plates. The second bottom plate has not yet been chamfered. I ordered screws from classic parts but they are a smaller head size than the originals. I can chamfer the plates to match the new screws. If you want to use your originals, I can chamfer it to that dimension. PLEASE let me know what you want....

The original springs are a complicated little devil, made with a die that I am sure is long gone. I could continue researching this to make them like the orig units but cost would top $100 for 4 until we have orders numbering in the 1000's.... This is why I have this simple yet effect replacement at this time. They are made of spring steel, 1" wide, bent on a 50 ton brake. I installed a set on my van, open and closed the door 30 or so times. The door handle was firm when rotated to close the door... no rattle. HOWEVER I did not know the life expectancy of these.......
    WE and (YOU) are the test case on these. Please understand this with your purchase. I do not want to upset anyone here, I am trying hard to make quality products. There is no way I can test these in the shop the same way they will be tested and used in the field....

When you install these on your van, they simply sit under the plate while you tighten the screws. The orig has a lip and "wings" that allow it to stay in place by itself... So perhaps if your hands are not as steady as they used to be (like mine) simply use a small piece of tape or caulking to hold it while you tighten the screws...

We can sell a set of springs, (4) pieces for $15 shipped in an envelope...
    The cost of the kit, top/bottom plate, (4) springs, (6) screws $49.95 shipped in a usps box..

PLEASE ASK QUESTIONS, COMMENTS WELCOME!

Jimmy Robbins
    Mannex Corp.
    971-227-6184
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
    Last edited by dropstand; 02-09-2015 at 12:28 PM.

User Tag List