Thread: Looking for factory 4 speed steering column and linkage from 1968-1970 van

New Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Looking for factory 4 speed steering column and linkage from 1968-1970 van

Hi I am looking to possibly convert my 1967 from a 3 speed standard to a four speed standard. I am looking for the factory parts from a 1968-1970 to convert. Do you have a column with linkages etc? I have a US shipping address in WA . Thanks for reading this .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

ripcord
    They say you can use the three speed column with the four speed trans 1,2,3,4 will be on the tree, you just have to make a cable opperated lever for reverse like a PTO setup!! put the tree into neutral and pull the lever for reverse. 4 speed columns do not come up for sale here to offten :-(

Ken
    68 90 6cyl three speed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ExEarlyVanner View Post
    ripcord
    They say you can use the three speed column with the four speed trans 1,2,3,4 will be on the tree, you just have to make a cable opperated lever for reverse like a PTO setup!! put the tree into neutral and pull the lever for reverse. 4 speed columns do not come up for sale here to offten :-(

Ken
    That's how mine is done. My reverse is operated by a $50 PTO cable mounted on a custom made bracket next to my park brake handle. The stock 3spd linkage bolts right up to a Saginaw 4spd, and then you just need to fabricate your reverse linkage.

One caution with this setup: The mechanism that keeps you from engaging reverse and a forward gear at the same time is in the linkage. With the PTO cable reverse, you can engage reverse AT ANY TIME! So you have to be very conscious about the danger. When you back up, make sure you are completely out of reverse before putting it back in forward.
    I backed my van into my driveway once, didn't get it out of reverse all the way before I put the column shifter in 1st and shut the van off. The van rolled a little and put a load on the transmission. When I went to move it, I could not get either gear to disengage because the transmission was locked inside. I had to block the front wheels, and jack up the rear axle to get the load off and get the transmission in neutral. From that day on, I make a habit of momentarily letting the clutch out after I take it out of reverse, just to make sure it's all the way out before I put it in 1st.

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome RipCord

Welcome RipCord. Those 4 speed columns are exceedingly rare and when one comes up, the member selling it wants to get rid of it fairly soon and not store it. Edoz has good advice on the 4 speed setup. The cable operated reverse with a stock 3 on the tree setup is a good alternative.
    108VanGuy...
    1969 Chevy Panel, 250 CID, 3 Spd.with OD, 3.36 "WedgieVan" Daily Driver
    1967 Chevy Panel, 230 CID, 3 Spd. 3.36 "UtiliVan" 292 TFI coming. Owned since 76
    1964 GMC Panel, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "CrunchoVan"
    1965 GMC HandiBus Custom, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "MilkVan" Seized Engine
    1965 Chevy Panel 350 CID, 3 Spd. "RustoRoof" Runs but wiring bad
    1969 Chevy 108 Display 307 CID THM 350 Power Brakes 3.73 Posi
    1965 Chevy Panel, V8, 3 Spd. "Gold Hills Van" Best body of my 65s
    1965 CamperVan, V8, 3 Spd.

User Tag List