Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A Sportvan build up in Maine

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    james is very particular with his work........and it shows! very nice work!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No real visual updates to share yet. Still just amid the tedious chores of finishing up the wiring, and sanding the dash/prepping for paint, and I'm in the middle of redoing the brake system. I did, however, remove the ashtray and built a "box" to fit in that stock hole to place my phone or anything else while driving. Even the "new" dash was cut up a bit so I figured I could make it my own after all the work to install it. Plus I like how it looks without the seams on the sides.
    I'm halfway through repairing my steering wheel, front emblem (my van didn't have one), and painting the steering column. Oh and the roof patch is repaired. Not the smoothest but it's my first time with bondo and no one looks at the roof when the rear end is jacked up like my van is.
    Stay tuned for more pics in the coming weeks!
    Here's the dash in primer

and here's a quick pic of the back of the gauge cluster. The 3 new gauges are all tight and fitting well. I just read Optik's blog and seemed like cutting the old gauge housings and using for holding rings was the way he did it.
    1966 Sportvan - 1963 VW Bug

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    looks great james. there is no lack of progress there. looks great from here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here we are under 2wks from my "deadline" to get to the first big car show of the year in Maine. Not really scrambling yet but we'll see how the next weekend goes.
    So far the gauge cluster and turn signals are all wired which pretty much completes the whole rewiring of the van. A few small issues to iron out (left turn signals are acting weird and need to convert to corvair headlight switch) but it fired up and ran good. No smoke or fuses blowing!! Also used epoxy to repair my steering wheel cracks and that's now painted. I'll post pics this week of how it turned out (I love it).
    Disc brakes are installed with new lines (copper-nickel) and upgraded dual MC. So whole brake system is virtually new. (Ignore the rusty front shocks - I'll replace those soon enough)

Also installed Dynamat in the rear of the van this weekend. I had a box laying around from my last van that was never installed.

Lastly, I put in a final brace in the front roof and installed the sunroof frame. The old one was leaking (surprise!) so now I got a new one and with the new brace and frame in place, the roof is solid and feeling sturdy.

more updated pics coming this weekend after the test drive...

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice work James.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's shaping right up, looks great!
    1970 Chevy Sportvan 90 - "Dazed and Confuzed II"
    Lakeville, MN

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have any pics of the brace you put in the front roof? My front roof skin feels like a pop can. I can push it in and out easily.
    VGMCVC
    1966 GMC G1000 Handivan
    230 Inline, with more oil ON it than IN it.
    British Columbia, Canada.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    glad to see my old van going to the next level, great work james!!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your kicking butt James! van is really coming along.
    1966 GMC Handi-Bus Custom (project)
    1968 Chevy 90 panel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheVolt View Post
    Do you have any pics of the brace you put in the front roof? My front roof skin feels like a pop can. I can push it in and out easily.
    Here's one from my phone, but I can take a better one this weekend. It's directly in front of the sunroof. Long story short, I don't think I needed it cause the new sunroof frame really stiffened up the roof but for peace of mind, I did the extra support. It is simply just 1" flat stock steel from Home Depot or Lowes. I cut it to what I thought was the right length but then kept fitting it in and trimming it down to exact length and tack welded it in place. Cheap and easy fix. I did the same thing in the rear roof where I patched the RV vent hole.

User Tag List