Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Sportvan build up in Maine

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A Sportvan build up in Maine

So it's been almost a year since I picked up this Sportvan and thought I'd show some progress pics as I refresh/build it to my likes and wants. I couldn't have done any of this without the help of this site and it's great members. You are much appreciated in this neck of the woods.

Heres how it looked when I picked it up from Bill (back2thewoods) last March:

it needed a few things such as exhaust system, and a general going through. I ended up getting a stock manifold setup from Coop and had some side pipes installed. Added an HEI dizzy, and an overall tuneup. Flushed the fuel system (tons of crud in the tank) and added a new fuel pump and stock air cleaner setup (from Derrick). Bolted on the bumpers, added seatbels and drove it just a little last summer as I worked out the kinks.

This winter has kept me busy as I first replaced the front sunroof (95% complete) and patched the rear RV roof vent. I need to throw a little bondo on this patch job but it looks decent with the fake roof rail I added.

I also found some rust creeping in the back corners with some past repairs poorly done. I cut out the rear corners and rebraced everything for peace of mind. Luckily, there was no rot on the spring mounts or any of the suspension.

and here is the patched corners now. Since these pictures, I added seam sealer to close any gaps.

and now onto the dash...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    James, u r making good progress, van is coming along nicely.
    Keep the pics coming.

Scott
    1966 GMC Handi-Bus Custom (project)
    1968 Chevy 90 panel

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So the dash was covered in wood when I bought it. Not a huge fan of it and when I went to remove it, I found out that all the stock holes were chewed up, including the glovebox and speedo areas. Not a great thing to find since I already purchased a Corvair Spyder gauge panel and glovebox door. So I replaced the dash today...

while the dash was out, I sorted out and mounted the new fuse panel since rewiring the van is next on my list.

and then welded in the donor dash that Derrick sent me. It's not the cleanest transplant but it functions and I'll smooth out the seams before paint.

I'm rebuilding the Spyder gauge panel this week so stay tuned for updated pics of that installation. I also gutted the rear of the van (wood paneling, wood flooring and the stock window trim) and wire wheeled the whole interior. I sprayed a rust neutralizer to hopefully help prevent any future problems where the wire wheel didn't get to. I'll paint inside and put dynamite through the whole interior.
    Oh and I scraped 1/4-1/2" of old glue out of the doghouse lid. That'll get insulated as well after the rewire is complete. This first picture is partially scraped...

And then I'm installing M1 disc brakes, new MC and new lines. As well as a potential 700r4 upgrade. Did I mention I'm obsessive after my head injury?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice work! I need that kind of head injury, I can't get anything done with any amount of quality anymore.
    Gregg Groff

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1968 Chevy G20 108 panel Now with 454 power!

1965 Chevy G10 panel- OHC Pontiac inline 6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Nice work

Wow what A difference, your van looks awesome! your hard work is paying off, keep it going.
    Cruzbox

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    awesome james! melissa and i plan to get over to visit very soon. i have to say that the van and work look very good. did i mention that your van looks good! see you soon, and you always know where to find us! pv

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking good, My Doghouse lid also looked like that inside when I got it.
    I was kinda like'n that custom wood dash?

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking Good

Keep up the good work!
    108VanGuy...
    1969 Chevy Panel, 250 CID, 3 Spd.with OD, 3.36 "WedgieVan" Daily Driver
    1967 Chevy Panel, 230 CID, 3 Spd. 3.36 "UtiliVan" 292 TFI coming. Owned since 76
    1964 GMC Panel, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "CrunchoVan"
    1965 GMC HandiBus Custom, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "MilkVan" Seized Engine
    1965 Chevy Panel 350 CID, 3 Spd. "RustoRoof" Runs but wiring bad
    1969 Chevy 108 Display 307 CID THM 350 Power Brakes 3.73 Posi
    1965 Chevy Panel, V8, 3 Spd. "Gold Hills Van" Best body of my 65s
    1965 CamperVan, V8, 3 Spd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Nice work James, Really coming along
    Tom

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I'm just glad to be back in a Chevy van and finally have a garage and tools to fix it up.

User Tag List