Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Donor Car Options

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TH2004R is a dual pattern bellhousing, has both Chevy and B-O-P. I have one behind the Pontiac OHC in my 65.

The 200 would be a poor choice for towing. The 700 is just a 4 speed TH350, and it's marginal at best. Regardless, towing in OD is strictly verboten.
    Gregg Groff

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1968 Chevy G20 108 panel Now with 454 power!

1965 Chevy G10 panel- OHC Pontiac inline 6

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's a standalone EFI option that won't break the bank

http://fitechefi.com/
    Gregg Groff

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1968 Chevy G20 108 panel Now with 454 power!

1965 Chevy G10 panel- OHC Pontiac inline 6

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanner68 View Post

Yes!.... I've been looking at those! Anybody choosing that route should use a pre-87 engine because 87-95 uses a different intake manifold and they are pricey! Best bet for somebody that has gutted a TBI donor car and gotten everything, including ECM and sensors.... Is to get a harness and reflashed chip for your ECM from AffordableEFI (about $450)....
    I thought about trying to organize, modify, and re-use the donor-car harness, but there is just too much complexity to it.....
    Either option requires an extensively different gas tank and fuel pump arrangement.... several hundreds by itself!..... I think eliminating the gas smells will be worth it though......

New Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would agree that this is the best choice. The Corvette site has numerous installation threads.

I have a friend who used a Holley EFI, a few bucks more - also works well.

The problem with salvaging a system is the cost of replacement parts. Then the salvage price is no so good.

I did a conversion to a carb on a TPI motor 2 years ago. You need fuel pressure regulator, manifold, distributor and carb. My total cost was just under $500.

Less than the cost to repair the existing system.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TH2004R is a dual pattern bellhousing, has both Chevy and B-O-P. I have one behind the Pontiac OHC in my 65.

The 200 would be a poor choice for towing. The 700 is just a 4 speed TH350, and it's marginal at best. Regardless, towing in OD is strictly verboten.
    Depends on your rear end ratio and trailer weight.
    Keep one foot in the gutter, one fist in the gold...

'65 Panel, with turbocharged 327 (originally 153 four), TH400 (originally 3-speed), and 3.31 '67 Camaro 12 bolt rear (my first car, 1970)
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...meE_Jf-hgJU2mG

'69 Sportvan 108 with turbocharged original 250 six and 700R4 (originally Powerglide), 3.73 rear, starred in eight Taco Bell commercials
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDfPJ3xmwjY

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    staypuff, thot I'd throw in a comment on how good a TH350 can be. In '88, I had a local tranny shop build me a TH350 specifically for RV towing. Not sure what he did to it but it shifted solid and quick (no slippage at all), even with a little bang if I got on it. It is behind a real torquey 292 and tows a 5,000 lb travel trailer, that's heavy duty work. This was up and over the Cascades and Rockies, over 10,000 foot high passes. It's got 90,000 miles on it, mostly towing and is still in perfect condition, had it recently serviced by the shop that built it. Always ran about 190-200, maybe up to 230 degrees for short distances on mountain passes in 90 degree heat. Cooled right down on the downhill. Rear end ratio is stock 3.36, use two trans coolers.

As for towing in overdrive (which my TH350 doesn't have), as I understand it (correct me if I'm wrong), the low rpm's don't force enough trans fluid thru it to keep it cool, plus it'll want to shift back and forth cause no highway is completely level (except in my home state of Kansas)(go Jayhawks!!!)
    LARRY OF THE PACIFIC NW
    1965, 292, TH350
    purchased Nov. 22, 1970

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Found one, I think...

I think I found the donor, 91 Chevy G20 with 27K. 350 TBI with a 700r4 trans. I am going to take a look at it tonight, owner says I can here it run. For $800 it seems hard to pass up.
    1968 GMC Handi-Bus Custom, 307 w/ powerglide
    Semper Gumby

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    91 chevy truck is what I took all my tbi stuff out of
    54 chevy panel truck 355 tpi 700r4 325/9in
    64 chevy 90 5.7 tpi 700r4 336 8.2
    69 chevy panel van 5.7 tbi 700r4 336 8.2

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Missed it by that much....

I was an hour too late to get the power plant out of the van But I was able to source a rebuilt 200r4 lock up today at the swap meet here in Norman, OK. I will pick it up sometime in the next two weeks. Now I just have to figure out how to hook up the shift cable and the PRNDL selector from the column.
    1968 GMC Handi-Bus Custom, 307 w/ powerglide
    Semper Gumby

User Tag List