Thread: Gathering up for the 200R4 transplant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool Gathering up for the 200R4 transplant

The good news is that I now have a rebuilt 200r4 transmission, the bad news is that I have almost no idea of what else is needed. I have scoured the archives and have come up with the following pieces-parts that I think I need:
    6" drop cross member
    Lock up kit
    Brackets for on transmission shifter
    TV cable plate and connectors
    Torque Converter

Now for the questions for those that are much more knowledgeable than I:
    Will I need to make adapters for the cross member in order to keep the drive shaft in alignment (I saw that Joyride had his lowered) or is that just for the 700R4?
    Can the stock automatic shifter hook up to the 200R4 or will I need to replace it with a cable \ if so how long a cable?
    Has anyone hooked up the TV cable to a stock Rochester 2 barrel or would it be better to swap that out for a four barrel (I have a holley 650 (that needs to be rebuilt and the mains dialed down) and an intake manifold?
    The guy I am getting the tranny from says he can help source a torque converter, but if he can't any suggestions?

I will do my best to document the process and share with the group.
    1968 GMC Handi-Bus Custom, 307 w/ powerglide
    Semper Gumby

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Staypuff68 View Post
    Will I need to make adapters for the cross member in order to keep the drive shaft in alignment (I saw that Joyride had his lowered) or is that just for the 700R4?
    No. The 200 4r is smaller, and fits better in our vans. The 200 4r is pretty much the same size as a powerglide or a shortshaft th350. It can be installed in the stock position, with no mods required to the driveshaft or geometry. (As opposed to the 700r4, which is physically larger and does not fit well, and therefore required lowering, and also driveshaft shortening.)

Can the stock automatic shifter hook up to the 200R4 or will I need to replace it with a cable \ if so how long a cable?
    You should be able to connect the 200-4r to the factory 2nd gen auto shifter stuff with some minor fabrication at the transmission. You should not need to swap to a cable.

Has anyone hooked up the TV cable to a stock Rochester 2 barrel or would it be better to swap that out for a four barrel (I have a holley 650 (that needs to be rebuilt and the mains dialed down) and an intake manifold?
    Yes you can connect the TV cable to a rochester 2 bbl, just like you would a quadrajet. Again, minor fabrication may be required. tci 376700 is the part number of the bracket that works with Q-jet. Should work for rochester dualjet also. MAKE SURE your TV cable is properly adjusted before driving. This is important. If its wrong, you risk transmission damage. http://static.summitracing.com/globa...structions.pdf

The guy I am getting the tranny from says he can help source a torque converter, but if he can't any suggestions?
    You can get one through your orielly's. I did a search for 1985 buick regal grand national http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...rque+converter
    Last edited by kookykrispy; 03-21-2017 at 01:45 PM.

64' wikivan 230/4 onda tree/2.56 posi
    '64 Red Baron no engine/trans
    '66 "Lucky" 230/3 onda tree/project

Quote Originally Posted by Vanner68 View Post
    Remember, they're still printing money, but they aren't making any more earlies!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks KK. Much appreciated.
    Semper Gumby

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You may or may not want to check the bowtieoverdrives.com site, they where a wealth of info, parts and tech for my 700r4 swap.
    68 108 panel parts donor
    69 108 sportvan deluxe 350 4bbl 700R4 3:36 posi
    68 108 sportvan custom 350 4bbl 700R4

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Ray. I went over to Bow Tie and was promptly overwhelmed by the sheer amount of stuff that they have available. What I hope to do is to document the transplant and post the results on our site. As my drill sergeant once said, "You can learn a lot from anybody, even if is what not to do.".
    Semper Gumby

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks go to Cruzbox, He turned me on to that site...Ray
    68 108 panel parts donor
    69 108 sportvan deluxe 350 4bbl 700R4 3:36 posi
    68 108 sportvan custom 350 4bbl 700R4

User Tag List