• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • danc5522
    New Guy
    • Jun 2017

Looking for parts for a 1966 G10

Greetings fellow Chevy Van lovers!

I was fortunate enough to find and purchase a 1966 G10 van and am looking for parts I'm guessing are hard to come by... but, I'm trying all avenues.

First off - what's the likelihood of finding rubber seals that go around the door hinges?

Next - anybody know of a good source for cat whiskers?

I don't suppose you'd ever find new door seals - but if anyone knows of a source, please share it with me.

I've got some rotted rockers under the front doors (both sides) - any chance of finding a donor vehicle or cannibalized unit that I can cut off what I need, or pay to have someone do it and ship to me?

Here's my girl - she's got 46000 original miles! I can't wait to start the process of restoration! Any help is greatly appreciated - thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	459426Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	459425Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0006.jpg
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	459427Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0005.jpg
Size:	42.5 KB
ID:	459428
  • kookykrispy
    VCVC Member
    • Oct 2002

Welcome to vcvc!!!

Hey there!

Congratulations on your new van! She's a beauty, and many people say 1966 is the best year.

For rust replacement, you can cut pieces out of a rocker panel from Mill Supply:

Chevrolet Express Repair Parts available at low prices! We have a huge selection of high quality rust repair and auto body panels including rockers, cab corners, wheel arches, fenders, and more! Get your Chevrolet Express Repair Parts today! Most orders shipped same day!

Door weatherstrip and window felts, available from Steele Rubber.

I bought rubber seals around the door hinges from Steele a few years ago when I restored Hella Sunshine, but I do not see them in the catalog anymore. I would call them and ask?

64' wikivan 292 tripower/4 speed/2.56 posi
    '64 Red Baron no engine/trans
    '66 "Lucky" 230/3 onda tree/project.. soon to be 400SBC/200r/3.73 posi

Originally posted by Vanner68
    Remember, they're still printing money, but they aren't making any more earlies!

Comment

• gfleduc
      VCVC Member
      • Sep 2015

1966 Parts

I have a new set of the hinge seals, I did pay $40 (four seals)- I will sell them for the same.

Gary
      Gary
      1965 Display

Comment

• Wookee
        VCVC Member
        • Oct 2002

Welcome to our forums.Nice acquisition.
        Be warned these old girls draw a lot of attention out in the public.
        I believe you are the 1st member from South Dakota........
        Your lower rockers below the cab doors will require a bit of fab work
        How ever if that is the worst you have to deal with you are a head of the game.
        What powers you 1st Gen ?
        Have fun bringing her back.
        Its a "van thing". A life style you have to live to understand!!!!

Comment

• dougw1
          Van Addict
          • Mar 2017

Door parts

Here is a link to some parts. http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/cata...?show_page=229
          There is a guy on another van site that goes by the name of m1dadio that has a list of lots of parts from here that fits.

Comment

• Vanner68
            VCVC Charter Member
            • May 2000

And don't forget [MENTION=252]108VanGuy[/MENTION] and [MENTION=3526]dfeole[/MENTION]
            Gregg Groff

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1968 Chevy G20 108 panel Now with 454 power!

1965 Chevy G10 panel- OHC Pontiac inline 6

Comment

• danc5522
              New Guy
              • Jun 2017

YES!

Originally posted by gfleduc View Post
              I have a new set of the hinge seals, I did pay $40 (four seals)- I will sell them for the same.

Gary
              Hi Gary,

That would be wonderful. Let me know how to proceed - thanks!

Dan Claymore

Comment

• gfleduc
                VCVC Member
                • Sep 2015

Looking for parts for a 1966 G10

Originally posted by danc5522 View Post
                Hi Gary,

That would be wonderful. Let me know how to proceed - thanks!

Dan Claymore
                Dan - I have to apologies - I went to the check on the seals - I did not have extras. So sorry for saying I did.

Gary
                Gary
                1965 Display

Comment

• danc5522
                  New Guy
                  • Jun 2017

I can't wait!

Originally posted by Wookee View Post
                  Welcome to our forums.Nice acquisition.
                  Be warned these old girls draw a lot of attention out in the public.
                  I believe you are the 1st member from South Dakota........
                  Your lower rockers below the cab doors will require a bit of fab work
                  How ever if that is the worst you have to deal with you are a head of the game.
                  What powers you 1st Gen ?
                  Have fun bringing her back.

She's all original - it's got the 194 C.I. motor with a 3 speed manual (3-on-the-tree!). I wish it had the Power Glide, but I am a bit nuts - I want the numbers to match, so my left foot will have to work when I drive the van...

I have to say thanks to you folks and for the help. I've already built a spreadsheet so I know what I'll have invested in her. Seems like a worthwhile venture. I'm 55 years old and this is the first "me" project in my life (sad, I know...)!

I'll stay in touch and will post pics periodically as we go through the process - thanks again for all the help. You've steered me in the right direction.

Comment

• jrinaman
                    VCVC Member
                    • Apr 2011

I've already built a spreadsheet so I know what I'll have invested in her.
                    ditch the spread sheet! if your married, pay cash whenever possible and burn the receipts! these vans are cheaper than most other vehicles when your looking at cost to purchase and cost to maintain/repair so you should do fine if you don't pull a smily. the reward is in using/driving it, not the total investment and resale value.
                    '64 chevy, 292 40 over, 206/526 cam, 2004r trans. 9.75:1, dual webbers, Langdon cast headers, 1.94 valves

Comment

• Wookee
                      VCVC Member
                      • Oct 2002

She's all original - it's got the 194 C.I. motor with a 3 speed manual (3-on-the-tree!). I wish it had the Power Glide, but I am a bit nuts - I want the numbers to match, so my left foot will have to work when I drive the van..
                      You will find out in the Van world the whole numbers matching.Really does not bear much weight, like in the car world.
                      That being said a good strong rebuilt 6 will power your van fine.
                      Make the van comfortable for you to drive.If you like an automatic, the popular swap is the 200R4 or 700R4 automatic trans.
                      These transmissions play well with the lower gear ratio your van might all ready have.
                      If you really enjoy shifting gears leave what you have alone.
                      By 66 the General might have synchronized your trans.A synchronized 3 speed is much better /more fun to drive.

Comment

• danc5522
                        New Guy
                        • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Wookee View Post
                        You will find out in the Van world the whole numbers matching.Really does not bear much weight, like in the car world.
                        That being said a good strong rebuilt 6 will power your van fine.
                        Make the van comfortable for you to drive.If you like an automatic, the popular swap is the 200R4 or 700R4 automatic trans.
                        These transmissions play well with the lower gear ratio your van might all ready have.
                        If you really enjoy shifting gears leave what you have alone.
                        By 66 the General might have synchronized your trans.A synchronized 3 speed is much better /more fun to drive.

Wookee, thank you so much for your comment and advice. With only 46,000 miles, this one runs like a top. I'll shoot pictures of the engine compartment, but it's clean enough to eat off of... and, like I said, I'm a bit nuts. I want this girl to be completely original, right down to the paint. I want the numbers to match. My heart tells me to pay homage to what GM did with this beauty the day she rolled out the factory doors and got loaded onto the transport. I even have the original manual in the glove box and the service plate. I'll shoot pictures of this, as well. I'm still pinching myself over my good fortune. I don't know if I got a good deal on her or not, but I paid $3500 for her. I'm figuring by the time she's all done, I'll have $10,000 to $12,000 invested in her. (Cheapest girl-friend I've ever had - the last 3, I ended up buying houses for! I'm done with the two-legged girls - HA!) Thanks again - I'm so happy I found you guys - thanks to a Google search!

Comment

• danc5522
                          New Guy
                          • Jun 2017

the numbers

Originally posted by jrinaman View Post
                          ditch the spread sheet! if your married, pay cash whenever possible and burn the receipts! these vans are cheaper than most other vehicles when your looking at cost to purchase and cost to maintain/repair so you should do fine if you don't pull a smily. the reward is in using/driving it, not the total investment and resale value.
                          JR, I'm a numbers guy - I live and (in some cases) die by the sword. I own a roofing company, so if you're in the market for a shingled roof, I'm your guy! The spreadsheet is just to keep an idea of expenses and total investment. I can't help it - God wired me this way! I just roll with the punches. By the time you reach my age (Double Nickels!), you figure out who you are and what makes you tick. I'm very much "that guy!"

Peace!

p.s. My last comment to Wookee should answer the "if you're married" question - my worst nightmare is coming home from a hard day's work and seeing the sheriff parked in my driveway. My balls crawl up inside cause I know I'll be packing my suitcase (and buying some beeyatch a new house!). 3 strikes and your out! That's my new motto! ;~)

Comment

• Wookee
                            VCVC Member
                            • Oct 2002

46,000 or 146,000 that is very low mileage for one of these vans.
                            I hear you on wanting to keep her all original.
                            The good thing is with the paints available these days you can fix your rust spots and cut in the new paint with the same color /shine as the original paint on the van.A little detective work and you can find the original color the van was born in.
                            I suspect she was born white and the gold was added late
                            r.
                            Of coarse I could be wrong.
                            there might be a sticker on the factory sheet metal close to the curve of the body above where the spare mounts on the P.S.Quarter panel.This sticker will list the original tire size and the factory color code.Along with what ever factory options the van came with....

Are you keeping the slots or going back with steelies and the factory dog dish hub caps ?

These old girls do not demand much from you.Happy as a clam living out side.
                            Don't bitch if you get busy with your job and don't pay attention to them.
                            Set up correctly.Ready to go at the turn of your your key......
                            Last edited by Wookee; 06-29-2017, 08:03 AM.

Comment

• danc5522
                              New Guy
                              • Jun 2017

thanks Doug!

Originally posted by dougw1 View Post
                              Here is a link to some parts. http://www.corvair.com/user-cgi/cata...?show_page=229
                              There is a guy on another van site that goes by the name of m1dadio that has a list of lots of parts from here that fits.

Do you happen to have the other van site address? Are we allowed to post/direct to another van site? I don't want to be the cause of any issues with this group, as I'm so grateful for the help I've received thus far.

Let me know if you can.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X