Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here it is!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here it is!

At long last, and after several attempts at finding a source, there is a guy who will re-pop the 2nd gen harness.
    YES, That brittle, spliced and diced, cobbed up attempt at keeping the van running is finally ready to be replaced. EASILY!
    Its a remove and replace procedure with the original existing connectors, with all new wire and terminals.

How about a NEW 21 circuit fuse box? With blade type fuses and auxiliary power outlets?
    Gauge connections for the dash? An optional A/C terminal? All with keeping the stock appearance.

Lets see how many we need and I can see about a price...
    Maybe give me an idea what you would pay for this too please? He quoted a price but I think if we mass ordered it would bring it down some.

Eventually we will get to the 1st gens and the engine harness but, Here it is!!
    Mike

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by van-itti View Post
    At long last, and after several attempts at finding a source, there is a guy who will re-pop the 2nd gen harness.
    YES, That brittle, spliced and diced, cobbed up attempt at keeping the van running is finally ready to be replaced. EASILY!
    Its a remove and replace procedure with the original existing connectors, with all new wire and terminals.

How about a NEW 21 circuit fuse box? With blade type fuses and auxiliary power outlets?
    Gauge connections for the dash? An optional A/C terminal? All with keeping the stock appearance.

Lets see how many we need and I can see about a price...
    Maybe give me an idea what you would pay for this too please? He quoted a price but I think if we mass ordered it would bring it down some.

Eventually we will get to the 1st gens and the engine harness but, Here it is!!
    one here

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

I would be in for 3 or 4...plug and play $350-$500
    If you are not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space

Steve
    1967 Chevy 90 "Space Truckin"
    350sbc, Sanderson Block Hugger Headers, HEI, Qjet carb, Art Carr THM 200 4r Transmission, 3:36 posi rear end, 12si alternator

1973 Chevy 110 "Orange Bang" w emphasis on the BANG :-)
    350sbc, HEI, Qjet carb, 3:40 gears, "Cruiseaire" Original

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    does it have the light sockets or the factory type terminals to reuse the socket housing, or are we going to have the splice on the old light sockets?

If its a plug and play I am in for one.
    If its a splice and dice I would have to consider the cost first.

M1D
    Don't ask me!! I'm still stuck on "who am I?" and "What do I want?"

1965 G10 all window "ChevyVan" with 1988 305 Tuned port injection V8, 700R4, 1980 10 bolt posi.
    1968 G10 "sportVan Custom" under construction.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The one I gave to him was in fairly good condition.
    He is reusing the factory connectors. The small plug at the floor board where the lights/signals connect is as far as it will go. (so far)
    Also as far as the engine connector under the seat. I have other 2nd gen harnesses that I will send to him to use the connectors from to start with.
    He should be able to source some of them but as things progress maybe a core would be sent and he uses those connectors to construct the new. ??

Come on guys...chime in here. Lets make him see the potential in this.
    1st gen guys too!

Who needs one?
    Time to stop the madness!!!
    Mike

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I take one.
    1968 GMC Handi-Bus Custom, 307 w/ powerglide
    Semper Gumby

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Iím in

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wiring Harness Thoughts

Clearly we need a replacement harness. It's been one of my pet projects for quite some time now. Unfortunately, I've been sidetracked with other projects and haven't made progress lately on the wiring. I'm hoping to have much more time to devote to this and other projects next year. IMHO, there are several issues with making them. First and foremost, wiring harnesses are a hand made item. Just like anything else hand made, the quality depends on the hands, skill and time invested along with the quality of materials. Personally, I prefer a little overkill. Anyone that has seen me pack a van knows this. ;>) So a well made harness takes many hours and the cost would reflect that. During my research on these, I spoke with several custom wiring harness guys and explained what I was doing and asked for price opinions. The lowest I got was $600 and they went up from there. $800 was about the average. Well that's a pile of dough for a thrifty crowd like us. That price was for the interior sections only! For 600 bucks you would be required to take some shortcuts in material and/or workmanship. Either that or the maker would be giving away his time by working for so little. To me, a replacement harness should not be a cut and splice operation for the installer. That would be a recipe for trouble. So it should be plug and play. But to make just one harness like that requires enough crimping to develop carpal tunnel on your wrists and enough soldering to develop bronchitis. It seems to me that with the effort required to make a cheap harness, it's wise just to take the time required to do it the best one can. Cheap stuff causes problems sooner or later and nobody wants wiring problems at either of those times. So if we can get a cheap harness made and it works then great but I think that a decent harness will be a little too pricey for some. Either way, I'll end up building myself several harnesses and testing them on my own vans. Hopefully, I will be able to provide a wiring harness option for members but unfortunately it will not be this year.
    108VanGuy...
    1969 Chevy Panel, 250 CID, 3 Spd.with OD, 3.36 "WedgieVan" Daily Driver
    1967 Chevy Panel, 230 CID, 3 Spd. 3.36 "UtiliVan" 292 TFI coming. Owned since 76
    1964 GMC Panel, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "CrunchoVan"
    1965 GMC HandiBus Custom, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "MilkVan" Seized Engine
    1965 Chevy Panel 350 CID, 3 Spd. "RustoRoof" Runs but wiring bad
    1969 Chevy 108 Display 307 CID THM 350 Power Brakes 3.73 Posi
    1965 Chevy Panel, V8, 3 Spd. "Gold Hills Van" Best body of my 65s
    1965 CamperVan, V8, 3 Spd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There it is..

Those words ring in my ears Mark. I have tried to make a loom by stretching a harness out on plywood.
    Researched the connectors, terminals, crimping tools, wire gauges, studied electrical theory...well, maybe not that but...

With my limited electrical knowledge I started thinking about approaching possible sources to make me one.
    First guy was a bone head but after picking up the search again I found a place.
    This guy finally is willing to make one for me. SO if he makes one he can make more.

I need more participation here guys, plain and simple. After we negotiate a slightly better price, all the info will be posted so you can order.
    Im not a middle man here and will not be. I have a need for one and if it helps out everyone else, great! The volume can get us a reasonable price.

Unlike Mark who is undaunted by any task I need a replacement harness. There is a LOT of stuff to consider trying to make your own.
    The "E-Z" kit really isnt...for my skill set anyway.

Who needs a replacement 2nd gen harness? Let me go to him with some numbers. Not saying you have to buy anything..
    If they were available, who can use one?

1st gen guys too! If this goes well...youre next!
    Mike

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, what is he quoting now?

I mean, we would love to re-wire our vans for $50..... Is he quoting $400? $800? $2000?

This is easier with a jumping off point.
    Gregg Groff

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1968 Chevy G20 108 panel Now with 454 power!

1965 Chevy G10 panel- OHC Pontiac inline 6

User Tag List