Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Blue Van, 1965 w/292

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy The Blue Van, 1965 w/292

(I know its stupid to put a van up for sale without a picture but since photobucket left, I don't know how. Maybe someone can tell me how).

The decision to sell has been very difficult for me as the '65 has been part of the family since 1970 and served as our RV tow vehicle since '88 at various times thru the years, 90,000 miles worth. Now that we are older we need A/C and have purchased a Suburban with air for towing. The van now sits behind my son's garage under a decent cover, but I can see it deteriorating and that hurts a lot.

Being 71, I don't have the energy it takes to maintain four vehicles ('08 HHR, '94 Suburban, '05 Trail Cruiser travel trailer, and of course, the early) any more.

The stupid Suburban I bought turned out to have a low compression, weak motor, should'a researched motors better. I've had to do several small improvements just to get it to tow reasonably. It really needs a new engine. I found out I can get a remanufactured longblock 383 stroker from S & J motors in Spokane for about $2000 that will work with my computer and fuel system (7year, 100,000 mile guarantee). They claim 320 hp, got maybe 180 now. I also found a fantastic mechanic, show car builder within 10 miles of my house who will install it for about $1000. With taxes and several replacement parts (throttle body, etc), I figure the total cost will be about $4000.

I've been watching the prices people are asking for their vans and I think mine may be worth $4500 to $5000. Now for the details.

---it started as a panel van, but I"ve since installed side windows and a rear seat and a sun roof for ventilation.
    ---it has some rust but nowhere near like the ones back east. One rocker has some holes in it. There is a little near a seam around the windshield, but none under the window gasket. Back in the '70's when I was fixing it up I discovered little bits of rust here and there and I used some kind of anti-rust paint and none of has got much worse.
    ---Has a 292 which was a remanufactured long block installed in 1988, has 90,000 miles on it. Added Clifford headers which are in perfect condition, no exhaust leaks, a DGES Weber carb, HEI ignition from a '75 Nova, recent dist. cap, rotor, wires and plugs. Still runs great, lots of power, needs choke adjustment which I think was caused by sitting around for a couple of years.
    ---I had a TH350 built for RV use by a local tranny shop. The shifts are solid and quick, no slippage. Several months ago I had the same shop change the fluid and filter and they said it still looks new inside. Never overheated, I have a trans temp guage
    ---has 8 Autometer gauges, speedo, tach, fuel, volts, water temp, trans temp, vacuum, oil pressure. All work.
    ---the rear bench seat has seat belts and is out of a 1989 Chevy Van and is vinyl, and blue.
    ---has front seats out of a Chevette and are getting worn, but still are fairly comfortable, can tow all day without back pain.
    ---4-tube core radiator, added by a local rad shop in '88, recently had it rodded out by the same shop. Has never ever overheated even towing over desert mountains.
    ---has the same paneling I installed in 1976, not too bad of shape.
    ---thanks to kk, wookie and v-68, has 3 point shoulder seat belts, both sides.
    ---had it painted blue in 1980, but since it has sat in storage over a number of years, the paint is shot, needs a repaint. Looks good from 50 feet. Never been in an accident and has no dents at all. I think one of the side doors I got off of a '69 early many years ago has some bondo in it. So handles don't match. Has original jack though.

There's a lot more I could add, but maybe should wait to tell whom might be interested everything they need to know.

I'd really like to get $5000 for it, but if the consencus is that it isn't worth that much, $4500 might be ok, or OBO. I'll feel much better if someone in VCVC would buy it, then I'll know it'll be cared for and I can keep track of it.
    Last edited by lvjjj; 11-08-2017 at 10:16 AM.
    LARRY OF THE PACIFIC NW
    1965, 292, TH350
    purchased Nov. 22, 1970

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the pics!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image-1.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	34721

Name:	Image-2-1.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	34722

Name:	Image-5.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	34723

Name:	Image-6.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	34724

Name:	Image-3-1.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	61.6 KB 
ID:	34725

Name:	Image-4.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	34726

Name:	Image-5-1.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	34727

Name:	Image-8.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	34728
    Last edited by kookykrispy; 11-11-2017 at 06:47 PM.

64' wikivan 230/4 onda tree/2.56 posi
    '64 Red Baron no engine/trans
    '66 "Lucky" 230/3 onda tree/project

Quote Originally Posted by Vanner68 View Post
    Remember, they're still printing money, but they aren't making any more earlies!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry to hear the news lvjjj. My fist van was a 1965 panel. Old plumbing van. Paid 350.00 for it in 1978. That van got rolled and junked in 1979. Hope you reconsider. But as old guys know, if you sell this one there will be more ,you will get another. I have had 13 over 40 years

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

My excuse is they do not eat.
    Cheap to insure
    She will wait patently behind your sons garage for you to come drive her.
    Invest in a good cover and let her set....

2X's on Kooky's suggestion.If she absolutely has to go.
    E Bay is the place to sell her off.

Its a "van thing". A life style you have to live to understand!!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do any of you think I'm asking a reasonable price? I've figured it'll cost about $4000 to put the 383 in the Burb so maybe I should drop the price to that.

Wookee, In order to spend the next few years RV'ing (that's our favorite thing to do), before I get to old to find the brake pedal, I need to get an engine that will get us there, so, need to sell.
    LARRY OF THE PACIFIC NW
    1965, 292, TH350
    purchased Nov. 22, 1970

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get some pictures to kooky to post for you. You never know who may want you're van. I sure would like to see pictures
    1969 GE "90" Panel TH 350

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Well,, it would suck to sell it.Invest the money in the Suburban and still not be happy with it.
    There is more that goes into late model trucks than a simple engine swap....

E mail me a few pictures ..There was one on here with the trailer.
    I will post them up here.
    send them to:

wookee10358@gmail.com

Last edited by Wookee; 11-11-2017 at 08:08 AM.
    Its a "van thing". A life style you have to live to understand!!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    was sunny yesterday so took some pic. just emailed some to kk.

Excellent point Wookee. I wouldn't consider doing this unless the Burb wasn't pristine. You should see it ('cept you can't). Has 140,000 miles on it.
    As I've said before, it was one owner, always garaged, well maintained, the only wear being the driver's seat. It looks like the rear seats (has 3rd row seat) were never sat in. Has all the stock floor mats, etc. rear carpet no stains. Is the SLE so has rear air and heat, CASSETTE deck w/5 band eq, Before they guy traded it in he changed the tranny fluid, brake fluid and antifreeze. He drove it only 6,000 miles a year. You could put it in a GMC showroom and it would look like it belongs there. Probably due to towing, age and non-use of 4wd, I had to have the bearings and seals replaced in both pumpkins and replace both front hubs.

The air conditioning compressor and other parts were replaced before we took delivery along with several front end components were replaced. Has the complete towing package, hitch, sway bars, trans and oil coolers, big radiator, etc................

Despite its lack of guts, it runs good and is verrry comfortable towing down the road, well insulated so no road noise.

Soooo, we really like it, want to keep it so gonna replace the engine with a 383 stroker which I understand are great for towing. The engine remanufacturer (not rebuild) guarantees at least 320 horse power, only got 180 (if that) now. Looked into just swapping a 350 reman in but the builder said it would give me all of 15 more hp. Still thinking about kk's idea of vortec heads and cam. I got a mechanic who can do that now.
    LARRY OF THE PACIFIC NW
    1965, 292, TH350
    purchased Nov. 22, 1970

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kookykrispy View Post
    Good luck Larry!

Fall/winter is a tough time to sell, especially in WA state since its the rainy/gloomy season.. but I think if you list on ebay with a highly detailed description and lots​ of good pictures you will be able to get your asking price for it.

If you email me pics, I will host them for you. email to: russelljoew@yahoo.com
    Why ebay? Craig's list seems to work real good around here. We sold our prior trailer (22' Tahoe) within 2 week of posting and got full price. We found the Suburban on Craig's list.

The worst thing about this is that I won't be eligible to be in VCVC anymore. Will miss you all.
    LARRY OF THE PACIFIC NW
    1965, 292, TH350
    purchased Nov. 22, 1970

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lvjjj View Post
    Why ebay? Craig's list seems to work real good around here. We sold our prior trailer (22' Tahoe) within 2 week of posting and got full price. We found the Suburban on Craig's list.

The worst thing about this is that I won't be eligible to be in VCVC anymore. Will miss you all.
    Craigslist can work . What I do is make them go through the Craigslist email and see how it plays out before giving them a phone number or private email. You can usually tell from first contact if they are sincere about what you are selling . eBay works but you need to put as many pictures and detail as you can or you will always be answering questions. I donít think they will kick you out of VCVC.

User Tag List