Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Build Journal: "Raggy" 2nd GEN 108 Retro Conversion Van

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Build Journal: "Raggy" 2nd GEN 108 Retro Conversion Van

RUT RO RAGGY!

Hey everyone, Wimpy here with my latest project we call Raggy the Shaggy Waggy! Raggy is a mostly original '70 G10 108 conversion van with what appears to be the original 70's conversion interior, complete with diamond tuck-n-roll interior, sink with electric water pump, U shaped couch in back that breaks down into a bed, heck even a table with built-in checkerboard! It was love at first sight.

I'm new to this site but fairly active on my favorite Astro site where I built up a '00 Safari 4X4 expedition van (Link: http://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=127&t=103714). I'll try to avoid the typical noob questions and do a bunch of reading and research before asking questions.

Here's a few pics with more to come...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	raggy1.jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	35389

Name:	raggy2.jpg 
Views:	375 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	35390

There are a few issues right off the bat... it runs like poo-poo, there's electrical nightmares everywhere, no brakes... all the normal stuff you would expect with a barn find like this. It appears to have not been registered since '97.
    Started off with the basics... according to the numbers its not the original motor, but correct-ish.. '69 307. How about the plugs...

Name:	0126181159a.jpg 
Views:	372 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	35391

Wow... thats pretty. OK so stale gas, poor spark, timing issues... now I know where to start. The carb stunk of stale gas and instead of attempting a rebuild, I just replaced it with this almost identical Eldebrock. Test fit was perfect.

Name:	0126181515.jpg 
Views:	373 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	35392

Let's see what evil is lurking beneath those mismatched covers...

Name:	0128181443 (1).jpg 
Views:	382 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	35393

Mehhh, I've seen worse.

OK, let's punch this mule... time for parts

Name:	0128181143.jpg 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	35394

Little bit of period-correct Chevy Orange paint for the heads, block and the Eldebrock Streetmaster intake.

Name:	0128181442b.jpg 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	35395

So far I've replaced the dizzy, plugs, wires, carb, valve covers, air cleaner and other odds n ends. Dressed up the oil fill tube, rebuilt the throttle linkage and painted it up along with the engine bay. Here's what it looked like at the end of day 1:

Name:	0128182038 (1).jpg 
Views:	376 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	35396

I also painted up the fan and pulley, but waiting for the new water pump and alternator before installing it all. They both work currently, but its cheap insurance. Besides I'll need something a little more robust than the stock 55 amp alt if I'm gonna keep the house battery charged.. that's right y'all, there's already a basement built complete with isolator!

That's all for now, I'll update weekly as much as possible.
    WimpTech... Precision Guesswork, questionable results.

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wimptech View Post
    RUT RO RAGGY!

Hey everyone, Wimpy here with my latest project we call Raggy the Shaggy Waggy! Raggy is a mostly original '70 G10 108 conversion van with what appears to be the original 70's conversion interior, complete with diamond tuck-n-roll interior, sink with electric water pump, U shaped couch in back that breaks down into a bed, heck even a table with built-in checkerboard! It was love at first sight.

I'm new to this site but fairly active on my favorite Astro site where I built up a '00 Safari 4X4 expedition van (Link: http://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=127&t=103714). I'll try to avoid the typical noob questions and do a bunch of reading and research before asking questions.

Here's a few pics with more to come...

Name:	raggy1.jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	35389

Name:	raggy2.jpg 
Size:	27.5 KB 
ID:	35390

There are a few issues right off the bat... it runs like poo-poo, there's electrical nightmares everywhere, no brakes... all the normal stuff you would expect with a barn find like this. It appears to have not been registered since '97.
    Started off with the basics... according to the numbers its not the original motor, but correct-ish.. '69 307. How about the plugs...

Name:	0126181159a.jpg 
Views:	372 
Size:	36.1 KB 
ID:	35391

Wow... thats pretty. OK so stale gas, poor spark, timing issues... now I know where to start. The carb stunk of stale gas and instead of attempting a rebuild, I just replaced it with this almost identical Eldebrock. Test fit was perfect.

Name:	0126181515.jpg 
Views:	373 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	35392

Let's see what evil is lurking beneath those mismatched covers...

Name:	0128181443 (1).jpg 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	35393

Mehhh, I've seen worse.

OK, let's punch this mule... time for parts

Name:	0128181143.jpg 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	35394

Little bit of period-correct Chevy Orange paint for the heads, block and the Eldebrock Streetmaster intake.

Name:	0128181442b.jpg 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	35395

So far I've replaced the dizzy, plugs, wires, carb, valve covers, air cleaner and other odds n ends. Dressed up the oil fill tube, rebuilt the throttle linkage and painted it up along with the engine bay. Here's what it looked like at the end of day 1:

Name:	0128182038 (1).jpg 
Views:	376 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	35396

I also painted up the fan and pulley, but waiting for the new water pump and alternator before installing it all. They both work currently, but its cheap insurance. Besides I'll need something a little more robust than the stock 55 amp alt if I'm gonna keep the house battery charged.. that's right y'all, there's already a basement built complete with isolator!

That's all for now, I'll update weekly as much as possible.
    Welcome Wimpy, Nice project. One thing if you havenít done it yet is to drain gas and take tank out and look inside for crud, rust . If so I would either get a new tank which for that year they are making now or take it somewhere and have it redone. I just went through fuel related issues with my 65 van and had the tank redone . Might save you some headaches down the road.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Welcome Wimpy, Nice project. One thing if you havenít done it yet is to drain gas and take tank out and look inside for crud, rust . If so I would either get a new tank which for that year they are making now or take it somewhere and have it redone. I just went through fuel related issues with my 65 van and had the tank redone . Might save you some headaches down the road.

Thanks Mags and yes very good point. The PO who actually rescued it from the barn a year ago had the tank boiled out and replaced the fuel pump (and starter), but I think I'll go ahead and double check now that you mention it. It would be a shame to foul up that nice new carb.

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Git er done!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

I completely ruined a brand new Edelbrock 4 barrel running fine rust particulates through it.
    I sealed my tank with Eastwood tank sealer .The gas tank has given me well over 12 years of reliable service.

Its a "van thing". A life style you have to live to understand!!!!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

The rust on the push rods does worry me.Anti freeze is also hard on main bearings...

Its a "van thing". A life style you have to live to understand!!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome! You've been busy I see!
    Gregg Groff

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1968 Chevy G20 108 panel Now with 454 power!

1965 Chevy G10 panel- OHC Pontiac inline 6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the warm welcomes and advice everyone! I certainly have my work cut out for me here, so there's a bunch of reading to do, some part finding too... This is fun!

Should have more pics n updates over the weekend...

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome Aboard

Great project. Thanks for the pics! Looks like you are wasting no time hitting the items required to make a daily driver out of it. Fine job!
    108VanGuy...
    1969 Chevy Panel, 250 CID, 3 Spd.with OD, 3.36 "WedgieVan" Daily Driver
    1967 Chevy Panel, 230 CID, 3 Spd. 3.36 "UtiliVan" 292 TFI coming. Owned since 76
    1964 GMC Panel, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "CrunchoVan"
    1965 GMC HandiBus Custom, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "MilkVan" Seized Engine
    1965 Chevy Panel 350 CID, 3 Spd. "RustoRoof" Runs but wiring bad
    1969 Chevy 108 Display 307 CID THM 350 Power Brakes 3.73 Posi
    1965 Chevy Panel, V8, 3 Spd. "Gold Hills Van" Best body of my 65s
    1965 CamperVan, V8, 3 Spd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome

Welcome to the site, looks like your having fun! keep us posted and have fun!
    cruzbox

User Tag List