Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Build Journal: "Raggy" 2nd GEN 108 Retro Conversion Van

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanner68 View Post
    Since it is a TH700R4, you will want to make sure you get the TV cable adjusted properly or you will toast the trans. Google 'TH700R4 TV cable adjustment' and you will find plenty of info and videos of how to do it.
    Copy that, thanks for all the help. I wasn't aware this was a thing and explains why the shifts are all stupid...there is no TV cable anywhere. Also explains why i can't find a vacuum line going to it haha, dang noobies huh.
    So now the van is grounded until i can address it
    WimpTech... Precision Guesswork, questionable results.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's the Cable. Think I ordered a 27" one. Not sure its been a while.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1274.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	109.4 KB 
ID:	35545
    Depends on the year of it on what you need to do for wiring I think. The earlier ones like mine are pretty simple. That is a pressure switch in the 4th gear test port you put in line with a wire out of the harness plug on the other side. White one? not sure now. You can wire this into a brake switch to disengage it or I use a vacuum switch. Still should put a lock out switch in, which I haven't done btw.
    Last edited by digz; 02-12-2018 at 11:35 AM.
    64 Project,65 Driver,66 Parts sorta

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by digz View Post
    Depends on the year of it on what you need to do for wiring I think. The earlier ones like mine are pretty simple. That is a pressure switch in the 4th gear test port you put in line with a wire out of the harness plug on the other side. White one? not sure now. You can wire this into a brake switch to disengage it or I use a vacuum switch. Still should put a lock out switch in, which I haven't done btw.
    Wow,ok LOTS more reading to do, since i don't really understand....most of that. Looks like it's an '86 TJM which i believe stands for toe jam haha.

Thanks Digz n Gregg
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0212181251a.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	43.7 KB 
ID:	35548
    Last edited by Wimptech; 02-12-2018 at 04:12 PM.

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wimptech View Post
    The good news is the rear brakes were like new.

Also happy to say theunder belly doesn't appear to have any rot, but it's caked with 50yrs worth of crud...yuck
    The little original factory rear drum brakes on my 1998 Honda CR-V with 240,000 miles are still good. my mechanic buddy cleaned off some hardened brake dust that was causing them to squeal a bit and now they're silent and good to keep on going.

My 84 yr old CA native father-in-law says that California Crud on the underside is great at preventing rust, he says not to mess with it....

BTW - you are kicking ass on the project, making me feel lazy! I saw the ad for that van when it came out and figured it was too much work besides not needing another one. Gonna be worth it to have that cool interior mobile!

Did you replace the front wheel bearings when you did the brakes?

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanner68 View Post
    the TH350 column is a bit rarer since I think it wasn't introduced until 69.
    I have one on my 69'. No, you can't have it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VanSandy View Post

My 84 yr old CA native father-in-law says that California Crud on the underside is great at preventing rust, he says not to mess with it....
    Good point,however based on the ~3 pounds of fine grain sand i pulled out of the rockers, i believe this van spent a significant amount of time in or at pismo beach, which would mean some salt content in the crud. Besides...I'm a automotive neat freak

BTW - you are kicking ass on the project, making me feel lazy! I saw the ad for that van when it came out and figured it was too much work besides not needing another one. Gonna be worth it to have that cool interior mobile!
    Thank you! Really excited so that fuels the build.I'm hoping i won't have to sell it anytime soon, already at budget limit.

Did you replace the front wheel bearings when you did the brakes?
    ....no. in speaking with my uncle/mentor, he mentioned it might be a king pin setup which i know nothing about. Driver side rolled free...a little too free if you ask me. Pass side rolled ok but had about 1/8 to 1/4" wobble in it. I need to learn more about it before trying to mess with it...and that trans. I'm no mechanic, so i have to be careful.

....sure you don't have an extra column laying around??
    Hehehh worth a shot,thanks Sandy.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a king pin front end, but that doesn't really make the wheel bearings hard to replace. Get the wheel bearings set, then check for king pin wobble.
    Gregg Groff

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1968 Chevy G20 108 panel Now with 454 power!

1965 Chevy G10 panel- OHC Pontiac inline 6

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wimptech View Post
    Good point,however based on the ~3 pounds of fine grain sand i pulled out of the rockers, i believe this van spent a significant amount of time in or at pismo beach, which would mean some salt content in the crud. Besides...I'm a automotive neat freak

Thank you! Really excited so that fuels the build.I'm hoping i won't have to sell it anytime soon, already at budget limit.

....no. in speaking with my uncle/mentor, he mentioned it might be a king pin setup which i know nothing about. Driver side rolled free...a little too free if you ask me. Pass side rolled ok but had about 1/8 to 1/4" wobble in it. I need to learn more about it before trying to mess with it...and that trans. I'm no mechanic, so i have to be careful.

....sure you don't have an extra column laying around??
    Hehehh worth a shot,thanks Sandy.
    King pins can either be easy or hard . When I changed mine last winter one side came right out the other took me most of the afternoon because it was seased up .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    King pins can either be easy or hard . When I changed mine last winter one side came right out the other took me most of the afternoon because it was seased up .
    Thank you both, that is encouraging. I absolutely will not break into anything until I have a good solid base of knowledge on it and king pin is not currently on the list. So, my mentor/ uncle will be teaching me all about it and lending me his reaming tool and mic so I can do it correctly. At that time, I will be looking at the bearings as well.

Right now the only thing on my mind is addressing the TV cable on the 700R4 since it will eat itself if I don't and can't drive it at all until that's addressed. Hand-in-hand with that is also figuring out a proper shifter. I'm leaning heavily towards a Lokar cable based solution since I need it fixed ASAP and won't likely have time to wait on a column shifter becoming available.

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What kinda shifter is on there now?

User Tag List