Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good torque but slow. Fast but no torque.

Certifiable Vanatic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good torque but slow. Fast but no torque.

I had a 250 motor, it was too slow on the freeway and barely had enough torque to make it over the hills at my favorite camping spot. I then installed a 292 motor. It was amazing, tons of torque, went over the hill easily but then freeway speed is still only 65mph. So, I converted my van to an automatic with a 200r4 transmission. Itís great! I can go as fast as 80mph on the freeway but I lost a lot of torque going up hill again. What should i do now?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2162.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	26.9 KB 
ID:	35575

Last edited by monkeykongking; 02-18-2018 at 02:53 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ???
    Keep one foot in the gutter, one fist in the gold...

'65 Panel, with turbocharged 327 (originally 153 four), TH400 (originally 3-speed), and 3.31 '67 Camaro 12 bolt rear (my first car, 1970)
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...meE_Jf-hgJU2mG

'69 Sportvan 108 with turbocharged original 250 six and 700R4 (originally Powerglide), 3.73 rear, starred in eight Taco Bell commercials
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDfPJ3xmwjY

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The transmission is all about changing gearing, so downshift when going up hills?

You have the same engine still

64' wikivan 230/4 onda tree/2.56 posi
    '64 Red Baron no engine/trans
    '66 "Lucky" 230/3 onda tree/project

Quote Originally Posted by Vanner68 View Post
    Remember, they're still printing money, but they aren't making any more earlies!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sounds like your 200's OD is not kicking off when you need it to.
    1966 Chevy Display, "Southern Belle"
    1968 Chevy, "Blue Overdose"

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    is your t.v. cable installed and adjusted? what carb? you MUST have the right bracket on carb to shift correctly.
    '64 chevy, 292 40 over, 206/526 cam, 2004r trans. 9.75:1, dual webbers, Langdon cast headers, 1.94 valves

Certifiable Vanatic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was going about 75mph on flat, as soon as i got to the hill, it slows down drastically. I don't think the transmission did anything different by itself, so i manually switched gear to i think L or 1. It slowed down even more. I'm cruising up the hill at about 40mph.
    I used to be able to go about 65mph on that same hill before installing the 200r4.

Was it supposed to go into OD automatically? Should i still get the same torque my 292 used to produced?

Quote Originally Posted by kookykrispy View Post
    The transmission is all about changing gearing, so downshift when going up hills?

You have the same engine still

Certifiable Vanatic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty sure the tv cable is installed and adjusted. Is it adjusted properly?, i'm not sure.
    I might have to take it back to the shop and ask them. I'm planning to have them explain things to me so i can adjust it by myself in the future.

It will be very disappointing if i can't go faster than 40mph up that hill after everything is tuned.

Quote Originally Posted by jrinaman View Post
    is your t.v. cable installed and adjusted? what carb? you MUST have the right bracket on carb to shift correctly.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeykongking View Post
    I'm pretty sure the tv cable is installed and adjusted. Is it adjusted properly?, i'm not sure.
    I might have to take it back to the shop and ask them. I'm planning to have them explain things to me so i can adjust it by myself in the future.

It will be very disappointing if i can't go faster than 40mph up that hill after everything is tuned.

I would try this. It sounds like maybe the shift points require adjustment, or something.

64' wikivan 230/4 onda tree/2.56 posi
    '64 Red Baron no engine/trans
    '66 "Lucky" 230/3 onda tree/project

Quote Originally Posted by Vanner68 View Post
    Remember, they're still printing money, but they aren't making any more earlies!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    first, lets determine if it is the trans. or something else. do you have a tach or can you hear it shifting? can you force a downshift when you floor it? drive on a flat road at light throttle (barely touching pedal) and wait for it to upshift, when it does, punch it, it should quickly downshift. if it downshifts, do the same test but a little more pedal and/or a little less than floored. is the trans. downshifting as it should, slow to respond or not at all? what carb and did you get correct bracket for t.v. cable? MANY assume kickdown is the same, it is not!
    '64 chevy, 292 40 over, 206/526 cam, 2004r trans. 9.75:1, dual webbers, Langdon cast headers, 1.94 valves

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    with a 292 you should be able to climb most "hills" in 3rd. I have a TH350 and I don't know anything about a 200, but what I discovered is that 2nd gear in the 350 is so low that it would slow me way down if I left the kickdown lever hooked up. I think 35 mph would be the max speed in 2nd. So I unhooked it. It even just keeps pulling in 3rd up a 2-3% grade towing a trailer. Going up Stevens pass 7%+ running solo it charges up running solo probably about 60. When towing on a steep pass, I pull it down into 2nd manually and it takes us up steep slopes at around 45 mph.

The huge torque makes 1st gear irrelevant, and it doesn't last long in second when starting out.
    LARRY OF THE PACIFIC NW
    1965, 292, TH350
    purchased Nov. 22, 1970

User Tag List