• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • smiley
    Administrator
    • Apr 2000

Let's Build an Interior

Well, that may sound a little like I know what I'm doing. I don't. I kinda know what I want and I kinda know how to use some tools, so, let's go.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9893.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	461164

I started by cleaning and painting the floor and wheel wells. Next, I put down a layer of Thermo-Tec sound deadener. Took just under three rolls to do what's visble.

Name:	IMG_9949.jpg
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	461163

Name:	IMG_9950.jpg
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	461165

Name:	IMG_9951.jpg
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	461166

I used the old wood floor to make a template for the 1/2" plywood. Takes two sheets, due to the width.
    Since I don't want screws showing through the floor, the floor is secured down the driver's side with a few screws into the section concealed by the inner and outer rocker panel. The cargo door entry area is held down by strips double-stick taped to the Thermo-Tec and screws through the plywood and into the strips only. The rear section will be held down by the bed frame.

Name:	IMG_0371.jpg
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	461167

The bed frame is a mix of both 1"x2" and 1"x4" pine. The side rails rest on the wheel wells and are screwed into the ribs on the walls. The height of the bed was dictated by the wheel wells (obviously), but I didn't want to cheat it any lower since I'll have to forward-facing sub boxes under there too.

Name:	IMG_0410.jpg
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	461168

Name:	IMG_0411.jpg
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	461169

There will be a center leg on the center brace and two legs on the rear brace, equally spaced. I'll build add those this week.
    I don't really know what I want to do with the underside or the rear face of the bed yet, so nothing has been permanently installed yet. All screws, no glue yet.

Name:	IMG_0412.jpg
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	461170

Name:	IMG_0413.jpg
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	461171

Name:	IMG_0414.jpg
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	461172

I do have the forward face mapped out in my head. I didn't want just a straight, flat section for the front of the bed. In order to make the bed look a little less like I did it at home with 2"x4"s and to help the future concealment of speaker grilles, the arced face was probably the first idea that came to me for the entire interior project. When the face is skinned, it will have a grille cloth section from end to end, and probably some lights in there.
    The depth of the bed from front to back also required two sheets of plywood. From the peak of the arc to the rear edge is 52". The two sections meet at the middle brace, which is two 1"x2" rails screwed and glued.

Name:	IMG_0380.jpg
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	461173

Beginning the template for the partition.

That's where we are as of today. I'll post more pics as it progresses.
    1966 Chevy Display, "Southern Belle"
    1968 Chevy, "Blue Overdose"
  • digz
    VCVC Member
    • Sep 2005

That fan fold Styrofoam is great for patterns. Mess up just tape more on. Looking good boss.
    64 Project,65 Driver,66 Parts sorta

Comment

• Wookee
      VCVC Member
      • Oct 2002

Good work so far
      As you work on this project it will start taking a life of it's own.
      Other ideas pop into your head.Roll along .
      have you decided on the materials you will be using to cover the wood work?
      1/8 inch Luan plywood is your friend when it comes to the walls and ceiling.
      All ways make you interior remove able.You just never know when you might need to remove it for repairs,and or changes in the future
      Its a "van thing". A life style you have to live to understand!!!!

Comment

• monkeykongking
        Certifiable Vanatic
        • Jan 2013

What Wookee said. "Always make your interior removable"

My van is completely hollowed inside. My bed is made of 4 pieces of foam that could be transformed into a bed or sofa.
        When i need to transport building materials or scooters, i just take all the foam pieces out. If i need to partition the space, i use temporary curtains with hippy designs on it, they work well at music festivals. Personally, i just like to be able to transform the space differently depending on where i'm going.

Originally posted by Wookee View Post
        Good work so far
        As you work on this project it will start taking a life of it's own.
        Other ideas pop into your head.Roll along .
        have you decided on the materials you will be using to cover the wood work?
        1/8 inch Luan plywood is your friend when it comes to the walls and ceiling.
        All ways make you interior remove able.You just never know when you might need to remove it for repairs,and or changes in the future
        Last edited by monkeykongking; 04-16-2018, 01:45 PM.
        1966 GMC / 292 ci / 700r4 / Air Suspension

Comment

• VanSandy
          Certifiable Vanatic
          • Oct 2016

Originally posted by monkeykongking View Post
          My bed is made of 4 pieces of foam that could be transformed into a bed or sofa.
          When i need to transport building materials or scooters, i just take all the foam pieces out.
          That is really smart!

But I like the idea of framed solution like Smiley is doing for storage and speakers etc. if you have some other hauling vehicle.

Comment

• smiley
            Administrator
            • Apr 2000

Originally posted by VanSandy View Post
            That is really smart!

But I like the idea of framed solution like Smiley is doing for storage and speakers etc. if you have some other hauling vehicle.
            This van's days of hauling anything but ass, are over.

Comment

• TurboVan
              VCVC Member
              • Dec 2000

Great ideas!
              Keep one foot in the gutter, one fist in the gold...sigpic

'65 Panel, with turbocharged 327 (originally 153 four), TH400 (originally 3-speed), and 3.31 '67 Camaro 12 bolt rear (my first car, 1970)
              https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...meE_Jf-hgJU2mG

'69 Sportvan 108 with turbocharged original 250 six and 700R4 (originally Powerglide), 3.73 rear, starred in eight Taco Bell commercials
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDfPJ3xmwjY

Comment

• cruzbox
                VCVC Member
                • Dec 2013

Looking good!

Nice work Smiley! Looking good.

Comment

• Wookee
                  VCVC Member
                  • Oct 2002

Originally posted by smiley View Post
                  This van's days of hauling anything but ass, are over.
                  The "Beast" also only hauls ass.......
                  I know you don't think you will ever repaint your van again.
                  Because you do drive her on the streets.If god forbid you are rear ended by a bad driver.Or any work is ever needed Having the bed removable is just practical.
                  My bed is built so it fits snugly between the walls.I can move it towards the side doors turn it and remove it from the back of the van.
                  I had it out when I wanted to cut in my door jams

Name:	body work 2 001.jpg
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	441984

Having owned and performed repair work on vans with interiors that where next to impossible to remove.
                  I made my interior easy to remove.
                  Yes that is expensive 2K primer on a set of window rear doors that I later switched out to solid side doors.
                  Things do change.Make your interior so it can be easily changed out.
                  Bed in place.

Name:	Body work 002.jpg
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	441985

I was never happy with the blue,gray color of the carpet I installed before the 34th Nationals.
                  Having removable parts and panels made it easier for me to change out the carpet in my Van..
                  My bed is completely made out of 3/4 plywood.
                  Screwed and glued together.Folds into a queen sized bed.
                  This bed has held up well.Through out lengthy episodes of bottom knocking preformed in the inside of the van
                  Carry on. have fun with your build...
                  Last edited by Wookee; 04-17-2018, 08:35 AM.
                  Its a "van thing". A life style you have to live to understand!!!!

Comment

• Kustomizer
                    VCVC Member
                    • Nov 2007

Looks great so far! Can't wait to see the finished product!
                    1970 Chevy Sportvan 90 - "Dazed and Confuzed II"
                    Lakeville, MN

Comment

• Vanner68
                      VCVC Charter Member
                      • May 2000

Nice to see some interior progress.... does this mean there is a small chance Blue Overdose will make an appearance in Indiana this July?
                      Gregg Groff

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1968 Chevy G20 108 panel Now with 454 power!

1965 Chevy G10 panel- OHC Pontiac inline 6

Comment

• smiley
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2000

Originally posted by Vanner68 View Post
                        Nice to see some interior progress.... does this mean there is a small chance Blue Overdose will make an appearance in Indiana this July?
                        No chance.

Comment

• garagedoordennis
                          VCVC Member
                          • Jan 2013

I like to see creativity , each of us have ideas that revolve around how we use our van...the one thing that seems we all have in common is a place we can sleep. For me mine has to be able to haul a bike in it 😆 so my bed area has to removable and have to have tie down points for straps. There is nothing cooler than showing up to a bike event and instantly you have a crowd while unloading and funny thing (no questions ever about the bike !) Keep up the good work Smiley and I'm looking forward to watching your progress !
                          1968 Chevy 90 250/700r/Fuel Injected - sold and missed
                          1966 Chevy handyvan 350/auto (work in progress)
                          1965 GMC 350/auto ( just had to have )

Comment

• Wimptech
                            Van Addict
                            • Jan 2018

Looking good Smiley!

This is the little universal kitchen thing I pulled out of my van. It was wasted, but I'm documenting the rebuild (dims, shapes, etc) and my carpenter friend is planning on producing them for the public. Let me know if you are interested in either.

WimpTech... Precision Guesswork, questionable results.

Comment

• BILLS66
                              VCVC Member
                              • Feb 2007

Smiley,Looking great ! It was a lot of work but I had a blast doing my interior.Can't wait to see your vision (interior) finished. Bill
                              1966 Chevy G10 Panel, 283 small block/turbo 350,Disc brakes

Comment

Working...
                              X