• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mags
    VCVC Member
    • Aug 2016

Aluminum radiator

I was wondering if anyone else has used the alum radiator that Russel used in his 65 with the 6 . I think it is a Mustang or Cougar radiator. My van is running a little hot hasn’t gone over 210 yet but it hasn’t been all that warm here in Western Pa yet. I am pretty sure it’s a circulation issue . It goes up going up hills and when going down or no load on engine it goes back down. It does have complete bell pan , 160 thermostat and 13lb cap. I did a back flush the other day and didn’t help much . I think the bottom is clogged. Thanks
  • VanSandy
    Certifiable Vanatic
    • Oct 2016

This will sound really dumb but when I swapped the engine in my 108 I had to pull the radiator and when I had it out I stuck a hose in the top and just flushed it out until all the dirty brown rusty water came out, until it flowed out the bottom clear. I was afraid I was flushing out stuff that might be clogging small leaks ha ha! Anyway. once i had everything back together it does not leak and runs 185-190 all the time.

The previous owner of my 1st Gen said the guy before him pulled the stock radiator and had it re-done with an extra row of tubes. It also runs at 185-190 and has no tunnel, and has no belly pan attached currently either. So yeah you might have a lot of crud in there, or worse yet in the block. I suppose you could remove your rad hoses and stick a garden hose in the block as well.

Comment

• Mags
      VCVC Member
      • Aug 2016

Originally posted by VanSandy View Post
      This will sound really dumb but when I swapped the engine in my 108 I had to pull the radiator and when I had it out I stuck a hose in the top and just flushed it out until all the dirty brown rusty water came out, until it flowed out the bottom clear. I was afraid I was flushing out stuff that might be clogging small leaks ha ha! Anyway. once i had everything back together it does not leak and runs 185-190 all the time.

The previous owner of my 1st Gen said the guy before him pulled the stock radiator and had it re-done with an extra row of tubes. It also runs at 185-190 and has no tunnel, and has no belly pan attached currently either. So yeah you might have a lot of crud in there, or worse yet in the block. I suppose you could remove your rad hoses and stick a garden hose in the block as well.
      Nothing sounds dumb. I did back flush it the other day but with no chemicals. I called a radiator shop today and they told me between 200 to have it boiled out and around 600 to have it recored if boiling it out didn’t work. That’s why if I cane make this aluminum radiator work from eBay for $200.00 including shipping looks good.

Comment

• jrinaman
        VCVC Member
        • Apr 2011

I am using that rad in mine. had to cut the flanges and make some brackets but fairly easy install.
        '64 chevy, 292 40 over, 206/526 cam, 2004r trans. 9.75:1, dual webbers, Langdon cast headers, 1.94 valves

Comment

• Russ68
          VCVC Member
          • Aug 2012

I just put one in. Easy install minimal fab. Crossflow cradle modified 1-3/4” spacer on bottom of radiator
          1969 GE "90" Panel TH 350

Comment

• Mags
            VCVC Member
            • Aug 2016

Originally posted by jrinaman View Post
            I am using that rad in mine. had to cut the flanges and make some brackets but fairly easy install.
            Do you have to plug the bottom transmission holes if you have a manual? I haven’t looked at how it’s mounted in there yet, did you use regular angle iron for the brackets ? I know from having other GM trucks they used a rubber cradle bracket on bottom and top. I guess this is different. Did you have to cut much of the flanges ? Thanks

Comment

• panelmanrd
              VCVC Member
              • Oct 2009

you won`t need to plug the trans cooler holes for a manual trans.
              54 chevy panel truck 355 tpi 700r4 325/9in
              64 chevy 90 5.7 tpi 700r4 336 8.2
              69 chevy panel van 5.7 tbi 700r4 336 8.2

Comment

• Russ68
                VCVC Member
                • Aug 2012

I cut about 1 inch off of the top of the inner flange towards the fan I had a downflow radiator in my stash that was junk. The bracket that was soldered to the old downflow had fallen off. I used that as another bracket to mount to the new radiator, tacked that to the new radiator bracket. That gave me a top strap to wrap around the doghouse to support the upper portion of the radiator pm me you’re email address or cell phone for pics of my install for ideas
                1969 GE "90" Panel TH 350

Comment

• flying brick
                  Van Addict
                  • Oct 2011

I recently installed one in my '68 with 350 v8. Same mods for installation brackets. I had to cut the original fan shroud to fit, then cut it in half, so it could be easily installed last. Also made an air dam directing air up to the radiator (I have no belly pan). Also installed universal recovery tank. Runs 160-170 on the highway, 190 in traffic. Couldn't be happier.

Comment

• Mags
                    VCVC Member
                    • Aug 2016

Originally posted by flying brick View Post
                    I recently installed one in my '68 with 350 v8. Same mods for installation brackets. I had to cut the original fan shroud to fit, then cut it in half, so it could be easily installed last. Also made an air dam directing air up to the radiator (I have no belly pan). Also installed universal recovery tank. Runs 160-170 on the highway, 190 in traffic. Couldn't be happier.
                    That’s good to here. I don’t have a shroud but I do have a complete belly pan. Did you get the one on eBay for $200.00 including shipping for Mustage and Cougar ? I ordered mine yesterday. Thanks

Comment

• VanSandy
                      Certifiable Vanatic
                      • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Mags View Post
                      That’s good to here. I don’t have a shroud but I do have a complete belly pan. Did you get the one on eBay for $200.00 including shipping for Mustage and Cougar ? I ordered mine yesterday. Thanks
                      Wait, do you have a 1st or 2nd gen? 1st Gen has no shroud, just bar thingy that I think is just a warning not to get your fingers cut off.

Comment

• Mags
                        VCVC Member
                        • Aug 2016

Originally posted by VanSandy View Post
                        Wait, do you have a 1st or 2nd gen? 1st Gen has no shroud, just bar thingy that I think is just a warning not to get your fingers cut off.
                        I have a 1965. 1st gen. I looked at it tonight , it looks like the radiator is bolted to that bar and the bar is bolted down both sides of the dog house. I will probably have to wait till I get the radiator and take the old one out before I see how I am going to mount it.

Comment

• flying brick
                          Van Addict
                          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Mags View Post
                          Yep. $200 including shipping. You'll have to get a fan shroud, or it'll overheat in traffic. But you can easily make one from scratch if you don't have a stocker you can butcher. Make it in two halves that you can fasten together. Make it out of cardboard first, then use it as a template to make the real one out of sheet aluminum. You'll also need to make 4 attaching brackets out of the same aluminum, bent at 90 degrees and fasten to the shroud halves ( I used 1/8 pop rivets) then bolt it to the radiator. Easy to attach and remove.

Comment

• jrinaman
                            VCVC Member
                            • Apr 2011

you might to send it up from the bottom. it 'can' drop in from above but requires a good bit of cussing and throwing things!
                            '64 chevy, 292 40 over, 206/526 cam, 2004r trans. 9.75:1, dual webbers, Langdon cast headers, 1.94 valves

Comment

• VanSandy
                              Certifiable Vanatic
                              • Oct 2016

Originally posted by flying brick View Post
                              Yep. $200 including shipping. You'll have to get a fan shroud, or it'll overheat in traffic. But you can easily make one from scratch if you don't have a stocker you can butcher. Make it in two halves that you can fasten together. Make it out of cardboard first, then use it as a template to make the real one out of sheet aluminum. You'll also need to make 4 attaching brackets out of the same aluminum, bent at 90 degrees and fasten to the shroud halves ( I used 1/8 pop rivets) then bolt it to the radiator. Easy to attach and remove.
                              Mags, you might want to check on getting your stock rad re-cored with an extra row. Supposedly that is what a previous owner of my van from had done. I have had zero cooling issues. Unfortunately I have no idea who did the work or how much it cost. Dropping the stock rad out the bottom is easy - except for the inevitable coolant spilling on your arm!

Comment

Working...
                              X