Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retired

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Retired

After all these years I've done it.As of May 31 I left my keys with my ex partner and went home.I had a 20 year partnership in the HVAC industry and 20 years before that in the field only working for others. Ive had a service truck and used it as my own,oh it was. Now I'm using my 67 as a daily driver , have a 327 with a 600 carb. been getting about 14 mpg going 50 miles a day one way working on a place we bought last fall.My plan is to spend more time "up north",its 50 minutes from door to door.My son and daughter in-law and 3 young grandkids live on a parcel of the 12 acres we bought.The place was owned by daughter in laws grandfather and were trying to keep it in the family. The best part is the stream and 2 waterfalls on the property. Last Sept we started gutting a 3 bedroom house thats also on site ,about 1100, sq. ft.,were about half way thru the rebuild process, every thigh is new. Its an amazing find to me and are in awe every time i set foot up there. I never thought in my wildest dreams that we would start something like this at 65,in the fight of my life with stage 4 prostate cancer.Ive been very fortunate that all treatment hasn't had any "side effects" yet. All sighs are under control psa is at .134 This is my drive now and getting to see all the little one more than I did before.The youngest one was born when I was recovering from my prostate surgery, and they gave him my name William.My health is very good, I've been very active working as I see some guys are in the trades.Keep an eye on that psa any thing over 3.5 needs looking into. I was up to 6 when found and thats checking every year. I hope to put together a gathering up there later this year, have to clear it with the wife. Bill

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good Job!

You go Bill!
    108VanGuy...
    1969 Chevy Panel, 250 CID, 3 Spd.with OD, 3.36 "WedgieVan" Daily Driver
    1967 Chevy Panel, 230 CID, 3 Spd. 3.36 "UtiliVan" 292 TFI coming. Owned since 76
    1964 GMC Panel, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "CrunchoVan"
    1965 GMC HandiBus Custom, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "MilkVan" Seized Engine
    1965 Chevy Panel 350 CID, 3 Spd. "RustoRoof" Runs but wiring bad
    1969 Chevy 108 Display 307 CID THM 350 Power Brakes 3.73 Posi
    1965 Chevy Panel, V8, 3 Spd. "Gold Hills Van" Best body of my 65s
    1965 CamperVan, V8, 3 Spd.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Come on in.The retirement water is fine........
    Its a "van thing". A life style you have to live to understand!!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    10 years to go....
    Gregg Groff

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1968 Chevy G20 108 panel Now with 454 power!

1965 Chevy G10 panel- OHC Pontiac inline 6

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Numbers

I was really hoping to retire this year but after crunching the numbers, it's just too risky. These days you kind of get one shot at it and then the numbers are set in stone. It would be easier if I knew exactly how long I was going to live. ;>)
    108VanGuy...
    1969 Chevy Panel, 250 CID, 3 Spd.with OD, 3.36 "WedgieVan" Daily Driver
    1967 Chevy Panel, 230 CID, 3 Spd. 3.36 "UtiliVan" 292 TFI coming. Owned since 76
    1964 GMC Panel, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "CrunchoVan"
    1965 GMC HandiBus Custom, 194 CID, 3 Spd. "MilkVan" Seized Engine
    1965 Chevy Panel 350 CID, 3 Spd. "RustoRoof" Runs but wiring bad
    1969 Chevy 108 Display 307 CID THM 350 Power Brakes 3.73 Posi
    1965 Chevy Panel, V8, 3 Spd. "Gold Hills Van" Best body of my 65s
    1965 CamperVan, V8, 3 Spd.

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 108VanGuy View Post
    I was really hoping to retire this year but after crunching the numbers, it's just too risky. These days you kind of get one shot at it and then the numbers are set in stone. It would be easier if I knew exactly how long I was going to live. ;>)
    108VanGuy...
    Thatís the catch we donít know how long we have . I am going to turn 65 this December. Been doing physical work all my life and my body feels it. I am going to have right knee replaced this Jan. I am going to have to wait till after I get the knee replaced to see how much the body got left.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the retirement Bill, sounds like u have a great plan ahead of u. I turn 65 in October, was forced into retirement a few years back. Been baby sitting 2 grand daughters & working on old trucks but my van is next on the list.

Scott
    1966 GMC Handi-Bus Custom

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by 108VanGuy View Post
    108VanGuy...
    Go in with the mind set..The next day could be your last day.Live the same way.
    I took close to a 40G cut in salary when I went down /retired.
    Every thing worked out.
    Still have my house.
    In life,there is more than one way to skin a cat....

Its a "van thing". A life style you have to live to understand!!!!

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookee View Post
    Go in with the mind set..The next day could be your last day.Live the same way.
    I took close to a 40G cut in salary when I went down /retired.
    Every thing worked out.
    Still have my house.
    In life,there is more than one way to skin a cat....

You are so right. I look in the obituaries in our paper and look at the ages of the people and think this person was 5 or 10 years younger or my age or a little older and think my day could be today or tomorrow. I have been lucky to be healthy all my life but my body has taken a beating. I hope when I get my knee done I wonít feel older than feel now. I am glad things are working for you Wookiee. One thing we all need to think about is things could be worse. All you have to do is look around you I am sure we all know people that arenít doing as well as we are. This BS that we need this amount to retire is put out by people who benifit from it. Good luck to all of us retired or not.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats Bill, you'll enjoy being busier than you were when "working." x2 on the prostate cancer, had mine removed awhile back, just yearly checkups now. I think us early vanners do better in retirement than those who retire with nothing to do, they say they keel over quickly, we got lots to do, always something to be done on the early. Working on a house, playing with the grandkids, keeps you young, but tired (at the end of the day). I'm semi-retired, I left my office job 18 years ago to RV, but kept a private consulting service going which I work with my son. Am free to go where I want but do have to take the cell phone and computer with me.

For some strange reason, my grandkids really like me despite my God given right to be old and grumpy. Have fun with yours.
    LARRY OF THE PACIFIC NW
    1965, 292, TH350
    purchased Nov. 22, 1970

User Tag List