Thread: G10 engine/tranny

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

G10 engine/tranny

Hi guys,

just asking for a rough estimate: what would it cost to rebuild an engine of a typical g10;what would it cost for a new one installed? Same thing with the trans:rebuild?new installed?
    Peace

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G10guy View Post
    Hi guys,

just asking for a rough estimate: what would it cost to rebuild an engine of a typical g10;what would it cost for a new one installed? Same thing with the trans:rebuild?new installed?
    Peace
    Are you talking V8 straight 6 on engine and on transmission I think most came with 3 sp manual so really you really only need clutch. Automatics i donít know if they used anything other than power glides on them. If you donít do any of the work you might be looking at good bit.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G10guy View Post
    Hi guys,

Peace
    Depends on the condition of both. If you have a fairly low mileage motor with good tolerances and little to no wear in the bores you could possibly get away with new bearings and gasket set for a few hundred dollars. If it needs lots of machine shop work the price can jump dramatically. Same with the trans, if you need a lot of internal parts or are wanting to do modifications like a shift kit it could get into the several hundred to a thousand dollar range pretty quick. Sometimes it cheaper to look at buying a new trans through summit racing or Jegs. All that being said it’s difficult to even give you a ballpark range without knowing more about what you are looking at having or needing done. What is going on with your current setup?
    =============================================
    Tim Henderson
    Cincinnati, OH
    1965 Chevy Sportvan "Good Twin"
    1965 Chevy Sportvan Deluxe "Evil Twin"

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

G10 engine/tranny

Year ? 6 or V8
    Gary
    1965 Display

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,
    thanks guys.
    Iím currently in shopping mode and havenít committed to a purchase as of yet. My experience with rides of any kind is limited to changing the oil/filter/gasket of an old ď77Ē Camaro back in ď91Ē. At this point Iím just trying to get an idea of what would be a realistic budget. Is a rebuilt engine just as good as a brand new one? Average cost of labor/man hours? Iím leaning towards a 68-70 Sportvan.
    Peace.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

I just got a quote from a local machine shop of 1,200.00 to rebuild a 6.Complete, ready to drop in and fire up.
    I just bought a brand new"crate" GM stock 350 for 1,700.00.
    There could be as much as another 500 to 1,000 dollars in extra parts.
    Depending on what you need to make the engine run correctly once it is rebuilt or bought new.

I personally prefer the GM crate engines.
    The one in the "Beast" was bought new at 1,100.00.,over 15 years ago
    I put 70,000 trouble free miles on the engine while it was in a 79 Chevy pick up."Daily Driver".
    It is still running great in my 69 Chevy van..It could use a set of Ford style valve seals.She will let out a puff of smoke when starting.Some times.
    Money well spent in my books.

You can safely figure an extra grand on a van that needs engine work.
    Of coarse how much work you can actually do your self .Can save a bunch of dead presidents.
    These vans can be worked on using a complete set of good hand tools.
    Good luck in your hunt...

Last edited by Wookee; 07-19-2018 at 09:08 AM.
    Its a "van thing". A life style you have to live to understand!!!!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A peek at the Jeg's or Summit web sites will give you an idea of engine/trans costs- the big variable is going to be labor for install. I don't feel that doing the install is difficult, but I've also done almost a dozen swaps in early vans.

That said, you need to find a mechanic that is early friendly. These are simple machines, but the do have some specific peculiarities that the mechanic should be familiar with. One is that you need a cherry picker (engine hoist) with a long reach. Many rental hoists and the cheap one ton Harbor Freight hoist do not have enough reach to do the job.

I swapped out a 350 and installed a 454 in my 68 over one weekend, and not busting ass to do it (I'm 57, my ass is already busted) It's not difficult for someone who is prepared. For the unprepared, it can become a bad dream quickly.
    Gregg Groff

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1968 Chevy G20 108 panel Now with 454 power!

1965 Chevy G10 panel- OHC Pontiac inline 6

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want just a bone-stock most inexpensive rebuild of an inline six or 350, usually $1500 or more. But that is for just the long block, carried in/out of the machine shop.

64' wikivan 230/4 onda tree/2.56 posi
    '64 Red Baron no engine/trans
    '66 "Lucky" 230/3 onda tree/project

Quote Originally Posted by Vanner68 View Post
    Remember, they're still printing money, but they aren't making any more earlies!

User Tag List