Thread: 66g10 or g20

New Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

66g10 or g20

Hello van people,
    I found this van and am curious. Is this van a farce? On one site it says its a 66 on another it says its a 67. Also on one site it says its a g10 and on another it says its a g20. Im not sure if its sill available for sale. The asking price is $6850. Im totally having a crush on this van. What do you think would be a fair offer?
    opinions? Suggestions?
    thanks much.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G10guy View Post
    Hello van people,
    I found this van and am curious. Is this van a farce? On one site it says its a 66 on another it says its a 67. Also on one site it says its a g10 and on another it says its a g20. Im not sure if its sill available for sale. The asking price is $6850. Im totally having a crush on this van. What do you think would be a fair offer?
    opinions? Suggestions?
    thanks much.
    Its a 66, and its a G10. I dont see a $6k van here. Its original engine is gone and its just a base model Sportvan with a manual transmission. I see more rust than stated in the description. IMO the seller has overspent on wheels/tires and seat covers leaving the foundation mechanicals unaddressed. I would say this is at best a $3500 van with the wheels/tires included. It doesnt have a ton of rare parts except for the middle seat that I can see. Yes it has cool patina but what it really needs is bodywork and a paint job.
    =============================================
    Tim Henderson
    Cincinnati, OH
    1965 Chevy Sportvan "Good Twin"
    1965 Chevy Sportvan Deluxe "Evil Twin"

New Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Optik View Post
    Its a 66, and its a G10. I dont see a $6k van here. Its original engine is gone and its just a base model Sportvan with a manual transmission. I see more rust than stated in the description. IMO the seller has overspent on wheels/tires and seat covers leaving the foundation mechanicals unaddressed. I would say this is at best a $3500 van with the wheels/tires included. It doesnt have a ton of rare parts except for the middle seat that I can see. Yes it has cool patina but what it really needs is bodywork and a paint job.
    Hey Optik, thanks much for the reply. In your estimation what would it cost for the bodywork that needs to be done?
    thanks again

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Optik, thanks much for the reply. In your estimation what would it cost for the bodywork that needs to be done?
    thanks again
    There is no way to even begin to estimate that without getting a good up close look at it and it would all depend on how far you want to go with it.
    =============================================
    Tim Henderson
    Cincinnati, OH
    1965 Chevy Sportvan "Good Twin"
    1965 Chevy Sportvan Deluxe "Evil Twin"

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a '66 and a G10. IMHO, its worth the ask of $6850. Looks like a nice clean sportvan, and has the original paint with "hot rod patina" that everyone likes these days. Those recovered seats are cool and I'm sure they weren't cheap. Anyone gotten upholstery shop quotes lately? I'm not sure what Optik is referring to because I don't see much rust at all. Body looks very clean. Having an original engine makes zero difference in value of these vans. I'd rather have a 250 instead of a 194 or 230 for the extra torque/hp.

you could find one cheaper, but its likely that it will need work, and from what I've read of your previous posts, I think you are wanting a driver that doesn't need work. Actual daily drivers bring a premium price, especially 1st gens with a clean body and interior. If its a turn-key reliable daily driver, yeah its worth it, and I predict it will sell. If you have the $$, I'd say go check it out. Looks like a nice ride to me. I'd offer $6k, and maybe you can negotiate to $6500.
    Last edited by kookykrispy; 08-01-2018 at 12:50 PM.

64' wikivan 230/4 onda tree/2.56 posi
    '64 Red Baron no engine/trans
    '66 "Lucky" 230/3 onda tree/project

Quote Originally Posted by Vanner68 View Post
    Remember, they're still printing money, but they aren't making any more earlies!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple things you should check out....

1) 'Later model engine'. While not a deal killer, the 250 inch six had what was called an 'integral head' in the late 70's. The intake was part of the head casting. These were prone to cracking. An earlier head will swap on, you will nead the earlier intake/exhaust manifolds as well.

2) In the midwest, these vans rust from the bottom up. In the southwest, they rust from the top down. Get good closeup pics of the roof, especially driprails at the rear and corners, and good pics of the 'minor rust' behind the bumper.

3) There's always wiring problems with these vans, whether owner induced or just natural aging. The wiring on the column looks 'birdnesty'.

I won't comment on price, prices are all over the map lately, but rising.
    Gregg Groff

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1968 Chevy G20 108 panel Now with 454 power!

1965 Chevy G10 panel- OHC Pontiac inline 6

New Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

A couple things you should check out....

1) 'Later model engine'. While not a deal killer, the 250 inch six had what was called an 'integral head' in the late 70's. The intake was part of the head casting. These were prone to cracking. An earlier head will swap on, you will nead the earlier intake/exhaust manifolds as well.

2) In the midwest, these vans rust from the bottom up. In the southwest, they rust from the top down. Get good closeup pics of the roof, especially driprails at the rear and corners, and good pics of the 'minor rust' behind the bumper.

3) There's always wiring problems with these vans, whether owner induced or just natural aging. The wiring on the column looks 'birdnesty'.

I won't comment on price, prices are all over the map lately, but rising.
    Hey, thanks for the reply. If you could choose which motor/engine would you go with? What would it cost? As you could gather Im a total newbie when it comes to vans/vehicles....so be gentle. This van is a project for both me and my dad.... a chance for us to bond....sentimental value. Thanks much. G10guy

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, thanks for the reply. If you could choose which motor/engine would you go with? What would it cost? As you could gather Im a total newbie when it comes to vans/vehicles....so be gentle. This van is a project for both me and my dad.... a chance for us to bond....sentimental value. Thanks much. G10guy
    Seeing as I have a 454 in one of my earlies, and a Pontiac OHC 6 in the other, I may not be the best person to ask

You need to assess your abilities. For a first timer, I always recommend keeping the drivetrain as close to stock as possible. The inline six is super reliable, and you can drive it while you keep an eye out for an earlier head- if needed.

The most important thing is to make owning your van enjoyable. Once you and the van get used to each other, you can modify as your comfort level and ability allow.
    Gregg Groff

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1968 Chevy G20 108 panel Now with 454 power!

1965 Chevy G10 panel- OHC Pontiac inline 6

New Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello again,
    regarding the van
    are pics 11 through 14 signs of rust, any need for concern or just normal wear and tear?
    thanks again,
    g10guy

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello again,
    regarding the van
    are pics 11 through 14 signs of rust, any need for concern or just normal wear and tear?
    thanks again,
    g10guy
    Looks very solid to me. I do not see any rust "cancer" in pics 11 through 17, other than surface rust, which is normal and completely fine. The frame rails look very solid, as does the rest of undercarriage, and the body too. This seems to support his statement of being from a dry state. The seller mentions "the worst under the front bumper." This area is very typical of 1st gen vans. I think pretty much every 1st gen I have owned has had some amount of rust at the very bottom of this area. I did not see any photo of this spot in his listing, but overall the body is in what I would consider good original condition. What is really cool about it being original paint is you can really tell the actual condition of the body. There is no bondo covering up hidden rust or dents. Other typical VCV places to check closely is the bottoms of the doors, the lower rockers just aft of the front wheels. If these places are clean, and if the van runs/drives as good as it looks, I'd say go for it. My counsel is if you are serious about this van, travel to see it and check it out in person and test drive it. Check out that area behind the bumper (lower front rocker panel) for yourself. If you can live with it, I'd say make an offer with cash in hand and drive it home.
    Last edited by kookykrispy; 08-06-2018 at 07:58 AM.

64' wikivan 230/4 onda tree/2.56 posi
    '64 Red Baron no engine/trans
    '66 "Lucky" 230/3 onda tree/project

Remember, they're still printing money, but they aren't making any more earlies!

User Tag List