Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 66g10 or g20

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello again,
    I've decided to not go with the van. The seller suggests that it wont make it across country

seller says:
    but I am not sure that a trip across the US would be a fun one. I would recommend having it shipped

Im needing a van that can make a trek across country. I just need to be on the road. Need to be free.
    If anyone finds a g10 that fits my needs please feel free to post. Budget is in the $5000 price range and payment can only be made via credit card.
    thanks so much again.
    g10guy

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not to say they aren't out there, but a rust free van capable of cross country travel for $5000 is entering unicorn territory.... add in the CC requirement and the pool gets shallower...
    Gregg Groff

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1968 Chevy G20 108 panel Now with 454 power!

1965 Chevy G10 panel- OHC Pontiac inline 6

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanner68 View Post
    Not to say they aren't out there, but a rust free van capable of cross country travel for $5000 is entering unicorn territory.... add in the CC requirement and the pool gets shallower...
    These days, $5k usually gets you a project.

64' wikivan 230/4 onda tree/2.56 posi
    '64 Red Baron no engine/trans
    '66 "Lucky" 230/3 onda tree/project

Remember, they're still printing money, but they aren't making any more earlies!

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey,
    My absolute top dollar would be $8500.00
    But that includes the cost of a van and any necessary repairs. What would it cost to have a trans and/or motor rebuilt? Is there an estimate I could expect/ballpark figure or is it subjective to the van itself?
    Thanks much,
    g10guy

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many of these vans are still capable of cross country travel with some basic maintenance. It's not going to be like jumping in a newer truck and taking off, you have to think in terms of when they were built. Annual tune-ups, 3 month oil changes, cooling system flush and fill, so on.

Something that runs will take you there and back, we have a few members that drive some stuff that looks like hell, but is reasonably reliable.
    Gregg Groff

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1968 Chevy G20 108 panel Now with 454 power!

1965 Chevy G10 panel- OHC Pontiac inline 6

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. My van must be a lot more valuable than I thought. With 90,000 miles on the 292 and still running strong, I've essentially criss-crossed the country 15 times (figuring 6,000 mile round trip) and that's mostly while towing a trailer. I would not hesitate to do it again and again. There is some rust in one of the rockers but that's about it.
    LARRY OF THE PACIFIC NW
    1965, 292, TH350
    purchased Nov. 22, 1970

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The key is being able to work on your van yourself, and do your own maintenance, (and in my case, engine swaps!) These vans are 50 years old, and most of them were/are horribly abused and neglected.

Back in the day, (circa 1997) I had a '66 sportvan that was my first vehicle, and I drove it all over the place. I probably put about 100k miles on that van in about 10 years until it got wrecked in an accident. I was traveling through Salt lake City, and the engine just suddenly quit. I had the van towed to a mechanic shop and eventually we determined the original cam timing gear had stripped the teeth off itself. We swapped the gear and put the engine back together, and I was good to go. It took about a month, since I had no money and it involved me finding some pick-up labor to pay for the repair.

I took my '64 wikivan on a huge roadtrip from Seattle to Los Angeles in 2011. The original 194 inline six experienced an engine failure on the way home as we were traveling up the PCH highway 101. It began running like garbage and smoking, buring ALOT of oil. I limped the van to a kind VCVC member's house in Santa Cruz, CA. We rented a car and flew home to Seattle from San Francisco, and I had the van hauled home on an auto transport. Then I installed a 230 I bought off craigslist, which has been running good since then.

In 2013, I built up my '65 Hella Sunshine with a 327 in it. It ran great! I drove it over to yakima with my local van club for a van run. Things were going fine until it broke a valve stem and dropped into the engine, and put a nice window through the block. I enjoyed the van run weekend, and then afterward, had the van towed to a vanner's house in Yakima. I went home and got my truck and flatbed trailer. I went and got my van, and eventually swapped in a 305 from a monte Carlo, and had it running for the next summer vanning season. I wanted to go FASTER, so I built up a 400 sbc and sold the 305. I put a supercharger on the 400, which was awesome and fun until I messed up on the tune and melted a couple pistons. I built up another 400 with vortec heads and swapped the engines, and then I sold that van last year. As far as I know, the vortec 400 I built is still running strong, and now owned by a guy down in Florida.

My point is you have to just expect that kind of thing with a 50 yearold vehicle and if you are driving it cross country, be ready for failures with a credit card. You should just expect the unexpected. If you drive a 50 yearold van cross country and it doesn't break down, then consider yourself lucky, and expect it next time! If this does not appeal to you, then maybe these old vintage vans are not for you.

I hope I haven't scared you off!!
    Last edited by kookykrispy; 08-09-2018 at 11:23 AM.

64' wikivan 230/4 onda tree/2.56 posi
    '64 Red Baron no engine/trans
    '66 "Lucky" 230/3 onda tree/project

Remember, they're still printing money, but they aren't making any more earlies!

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all,
    thanks for the feedback/guidance. Im in it for the long-haul.....pun intended. Anyone recommend reading material like a vintage vans for dummies type book. Im trying to decide whether to go with a mechanic or take on the task myself. I guess I need to buy a van first😀 Trying to make a solid educated decision.
    thanks,
    g10guy

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G10guy View Post
    Hi all,
    thanks for the feedback/guidance. Im in it for the long-haul.....pun intended. Anyone recommend reading material like a vintage vans for dummies type book. Im trying to decide whether to go with a mechanic or take on the task myself. I guess I need to buy a van first😀 Trying to make a solid educated decision.
    thanks,
    g10guy
    This site is the vintage vans for dummies source. Stick around long enough and youll be able to help new dummies coming along who want to learn, too.
    1966 Chevy Display, "Southern Belle"
    1968 Chevy, "Blue Overdose"

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G10guy View Post
    Hi all,
    thanks,
    g10guy
    My approach has always been if you dont try you dont learn anything. I have had people over the years ask me how I learned to do things I tell them trial and error and a lot of error. Doing things yourself will save you a lot of money even with the mistakes. These guys on here know there stuff. If you get in a bind they will help you out , they have helped me out .

User Tag List