Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chevy sport van - 1967? -

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello all,
    What model would you say this van is......g10 or g20?
    thanks much
    g10 guy

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G10. All first gen vans were G10's
    Gregg Groff

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1968 Chevy G20 108 panel Now with 454 power!

1965 Chevy G10 panel- OHC Pontiac inline 6

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G10guy View Post
    Hello all,
    What model would you say this van is......g10 or g20?
    thanks much
    g10 guy
    This is a 1st gen van, so its mislabled as a 67... 1st gens were put out between 64-66. 2nd gen vans were put out between 67 and 70. The 2nd gen vans did have 2 models the g10 and g20. The g20's have the longer wheelbase 108, v8 power, a beefed up rear, and a heavier suspension package. Hope this helps...

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StellaBlue View Post
    This is a 1st gen van, so its mislabled as a 67... 1st gens were put out between 64-66. 2nd gen vans were put out between 67 and 70. The 2nd gen vans did have 2 models the g10 and g20. The g20's have the longer wheelbase 108, v8 power, a beefed up rear, and a heavier suspension package. Hope this helps...
    Well, not all have V8. My 68 G20 was originally a 250 six.
    First 4 of the VIN tells the story, GS10 = G10, 6 cyl, GS20 = G20 six cyl, GE10 = G10 8 cyl, GE20 = G20 8 cyl
    Gregg Groff

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Six's pulling as low as a 4:10 gear ratio.right off the show room floor.....
    Its a "van thing". A life style you have to live to understand!!!!

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VanSandy View Post
    I called this guy yesterday and got some info, he was real nice. Sounds like it has potential.
    Hey VanSandy,
    If you donít mind me asking, not trying to be intrusive, just curious, what did he have to say. Iím actually considering this van. Body style wise itís exactly to my liking. Just worried about the rust that was mentioned earlier in the thread.
    g10guy

Certifiable Vanatic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey VanSandy,
    If you donít mind me asking, not trying to be intrusive, just curious, what did he have to say. Iím actually considering this van. Body style wise itís exactly to my liking. Just worried about the rust that was mentioned earlier in the thread.
    g10guy
    Well I probably don't have as good of an eye as a lot of people on here but given the age of the vehicle, I don't think it's a rust bucket, looks pretty workable. Could be a lot of reasons why that one spot lost it's paint and is now rusted, but I don't see anything that can't be fixed, with the exception of the roof. It looks to have a good amount of surface rust which is common here in SoCal, but you need to see the whole thing. Ask for close ups of the worst drip rail areas. Like someone else mentioned, you should request more detailed pictures, inside and out. It's not hard for a seller to do if they have a half way modern camera. A serious local person will just go see it in person.

As for my conversation with the seller, he got it from an ex neighbor or something that moved away. Supposedly that seller had put in a fresh motor at some point, but it hadn't been started for a while. So this guy bought it when they moved, put it on his trailer, and then it has been on the trailer ever since, like five years ago. So, maybe good potential. Just give him a call, he was friendly and forthcoming with what he knew about it, but sounded like he never even got started on the project.

And keep in mind what you want in the end. If it's a show vehicle look for one already done, and pay accordingly. Or expect to spend a lot of time and $$s on restoration of any vehicle of this age.

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanner68 View Post
    This picture tells a story....

That big rust spot is in an unusual location. Looks to me like there was a bit of bondo there. Since that's not a common area to rust, I would suspect some damage occurred there.

Ask for pictures of the cab floors. Some rust and pinholes are ok, but it's common for large areas to rust away. It's not a difficult repair, but it's something to take into consideration. No pics of the rear in the ad, maybe damage or rust there too.

The price seems high to me. Non-running with some body issues shouldn't be more than $2k- at $3500 your only $1000 away from what I've seen decent drivers sell for.

Glass for a 1st gen is not a big deal, any glass shop can cut safety glass to fit.

Hey Vanner68,
    Whatís the white smudge below the passenger side rear window. Is it bondo? And is the spot under the triangle the rust youíre speaking of?
    thanks so much,
    g10guy
    Last edited by G10guy; 09-24-2018 at 10:56 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Vanner68,
    Whatís the white smudge below the passenger side rear window. Is it bondo? And is the spot under the triangle the rust youíre speaking of?
    thanks so much,
    g10guy
    The white spot is likely faded paint, the area below the triangle and right behind the front wheel is rust. That is an unusual place for rust to form, so I suspect there was some damage to that area which was repaired and a 'skim coat' of bondo used to smooth it out for paint. The coat of bondo lifted eventually, exposing the bare metal underneath to rust.

I'm not a pro bodyman, but I have owned dozens of rust buckets.
    Gregg Groff

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool

Passenger side mirrors where also an option back then on Vans....
    Those mirrors where added by a P.O.,some where in this vans former life.
    The white on the passenger side quarter panel is more than likely the factory paint bleeding through a poorly prepped repaint Job
    Some body also put the bow tie in the wrong place.

Last edited by Wookee; 09-25-2018 at 12:59 PM.
    Its a "van thing". A life style you have to live to understand!!!!

User Tag List