Thread: 1972 g20 van dim headlights won't work, hesitates when I first give it gas.

New Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1972 g20 van dim headlights won't work, hesitates when I first give it gas.

Hi all. New to the chevy ownership. Just picked up a 72 g20 with the 5.7l v8. Couple issues. First one no dim headlights. Brights work fine. Replaced the headlights and the headlight switch so far. No luck. Also just had a full tune up (plugs, wires,oil,carb clean,air filter. When I push on the gas though it hesitates, then takes off. Thanks for your help!

Certifiable Vanatic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtig44 View Post
    Hi all. New to the chevy ownership. Just picked up a 72 g20 with the 5.7l v8. Couple issues. First one no dim headlights. Brights work fine. Replaced the headlights and the headlight switch so far. No luck. Also just had a full tune up (plugs, wires,oil,carb clean,air filter. When I push on the gas though it hesitates, then takes off. Thanks for your help!
    Welcome! This forum is really for 1st and 2nd gen vans, you have a 3rd, but no problem. I had a similar problem with my 69 when I got it last summer and Russell suggested I get a spray can of electrical contact cleaner and spray the crud out of the floor dimmer switch and switch it on off a bunch of times in between sprays. It did the trick. Before that I had intermittent one dim but both brights, now all still working fine. No new bulbs or dash switch.

New Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by VanSandy View Post
    Welcome! This forum is really for 1st and 2nd gen vans, you have a 3rd, but no problem. I had a similar problem with my 69 when I got it last summer and Russell suggested I get a spray can of electrical contact cleaner and spray the crud out of the floor dimmer switch and switch it on off a bunch of times in between sprays. It did the trick. Before that I had intermittent one dim but both brights, now all still working fine. No new bulbs or dash switch.
    Thanks for the reply. It was the connector to the dimmer switch! Thanks. Any ideas on a place to get info on early third gens?

Certifiable Vanatic
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtig44 View Post
    Thanks for the reply. It was the connector to the dimmer switch! Thanks. Any ideas on a place to get info on early third gens?
    huh, thought I had replied, must have gotten distracted. Try vannin.com. Or just get a 1st or 2nd Gen!

User Tag List