Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Upgrading Cam

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    all of those are on ebay coming from another continent, 3 week delivery!!! does anyone know where to get these sooner? or even what they are called? the center hole is all that matters as they get cut, welded and drilled.
    '64 chevy, 292 40 over, 206/526 cam, 2004r trans. 9.75:1, dual webbers, Langdon cast headers, 1.94 valves

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advice on adding v8 crossflow on I6

I posted this on the Facebook group for advice as well: Anyone running a v8 crossflow radiator in front of their straight six 230/250/292? I'm putting mine in and stock fan barely clears. I have a thin foam sheet in between while mocking it up and just barely squeezes in there. Only reason for crossflow is for added cooling needed because of added accessories I'm adding to my 230 like AC compressor and power steering pump. An aftermarket electric fan doesn't look like it would fit and the v8 shroud definitely won't. I would have to custom make one. Bottom bracket is installed just directly in front of my dual master cylinder so currently not able to move it up further. What are your experiences if any? Fan? Did you guys who did this get better clearance between fan and radiator than I did? Is barely clearing (almost touching) safe? Thoughts? Advice? Thanks.

66BeachCruiser
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1193.jpg   IMG_1197.jpg  
    1966 Chevy Sportvan seafoam green/white
    Sliding ragtop
    230 straight six
    HEI distributor
    12SI alternator
    2bbl 32/36 Progressive carb upgrade with 1 to 2bbl carb adapter
    200r4 w/stock auto shifter, custom hanger, 96 suburban trans cooler
    3:36 rear
    Front Disk Brake conversion with Dual master
    Recored radiator to 3core
    5 blade fan
    belly pan.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0005.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	40189
    Quote Originally Posted by 66BeachCruiser View Post
    Is barely clearing (almost touching) safe? Thoughts? Advice? Thanks.

66BeachCruiser
    the rad on the right 'barely fit'! the shiny new one on the left was installed +1/2" forward so close to an inch clearance. it lasted less than 10 feet before fan barely touched it! I had several factors contributing to that. several different trannies over the years with home made mounts forced everything forward. crossmember was tight to front and still left forward tension. the 292 got new brackets and v8 mounts but fabbed to match the forward location. another tranny since then and everything tight to front again. I recently replaced it all and moved a full 2" back! what tranny/how is it mounted? remove a crossmember bolt and see if it is pushed forward (bolt rubs rear of hole). if so, you can gain 1/2"-3/4" right there. if you have stock tranny with hanger, don't bother, it is where it belongs.
    '64 chevy, 292 40 over, 206/526 cam, 2004r trans. 9.75:1, dual webbers, Langdon cast headers, 1.94 valves

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the crossflow just doesn't work and you want to consider re-coring your stock downflow rad......here's what worked for me. This was all done with the mindset of some day running A/C. I had my rad (downflow) redone with more rows. I also mounted a Flex-a-Lite 160 fan that comes with its own shroud (as a puller) and yanked my clutch fan. I shimmed the rad forward about 1-1/2" and partially tucked it under the curved top lips of the doghouse. I have just enough room to change a alt/water pump belt. The fan pulls 3,000 cfm and has its own adjustable on/off thermostat....plus a compressor sensor relay that turns-on fan when A/C is requested.

SV

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do have my stock I6 radiator recored. I could have ran with that but seeing as I had a crossflow radiator and 2nd doghouse with appropriate brackets this was my opportunity to put the best cooling I could. I wish I could gain more inches up front. By placing the actual doghouse on top on to the radiator it did tilt it a bit forward. Clearance towards the bottom is still sketchy. 2nd gens are made different, and the sixes in second gens seem to have more space including the use of a spacer on the fans. Not so on a first gen.
    Sliding ragtop
    230 straight six
    HEI distributor
    12SI alternator
    5 blade fan
    belly pan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jrinaman View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0005.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	40189 the rad on the right 'barely fit'! the shiny new one on the left was installed +1/2" forward so close to an inch clearance. it lasted less than 10 feet before fan barely touched it! I had several factors contributing to that. several different trannies over the years with home made mounts forced everything forward. crossmember was tight to front and still left forward tension. the 292 got new brackets and v8 mounts but fabbed to match the forward location. another tranny since then and everything tight to front again. I recently replaced it all and moved a full 2" back! what tranny/how is it mounted? remove a crossmember bolt and see if it is pushed forward (bolt rubs rear of hole). if so, you can gain 1/2"-3/4" right there. if you have stock tranny with hanger, don't bother, it is where it belongs.
    Thanks for some tips Jrinaman. I have a 2004r using the stock mount location/crossmember. The actual crossmember can be moved rearward since it's no longer tack welded like stock, it's bolted on. If I did move it back, would I have to shorten the driveshaft? I wonder what makes a second gen have more room in front of a six including using a spacer on the fan. 1st gens have no spacer and are really close to the fan in stock form. Dual master cylinder on my first should be in same location as a second right? Maybe crossmember is different? Is driveshaft shorter on a second gen? I know a V8 upgrade being a shorter block would probably have good clearance. Instead of moving things back, I might just go ahead and remove the dual master to make room and actually make the idea happen and install the hydroboost rearward with an extended pushrod. I'll try to post pictures of what the radiator looks like with the doghouse in place.
    Sliding ragtop
    230 straight six
    HEI distributor
    12SI alternator
    5 blade fan
    belly pan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's pretty dark between the fan and radiator to see good clearance unless I shine a light.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1206.jpg   IMG_1207.jpg   IMG_1210.jpg   IMG_1211.jpg   IMG_1221.jpg  

Sliding ragtop
    230 straight six
    HEI distributor
    12SI alternator
    5 blade fan
    belly pan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is where my bracket currently sits
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1228.jpg  
    Sliding ragtop
    230 straight six
    HEI distributor
    12SI alternator
    5 blade fan
    belly pan.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 66BeachCruiser View Post
    I have a 2004r using the stock mount location/crossmember. The actual crossmember can be moved rearward since it's no longer tack welded like stock, it's bolted on. If I did move it back, would I have to shorten the driveshaft? Maybe crossmember is different? Is driveshaft shorter on a second gen?
    first and second gens have a different crossmember and driveshaft, don't know which is shorter or how much. your driveshaft yoke should have 1" exposed, meaning it can travel an inch into trans before busting stuff. if and only if you can calculate the location at its extreme, you can cut it a bit closer. all that becomes a bigger can of worms if your engine crossmember is already to the rearmost extreme. mainly, I was suggesting you check to see if yours shifted forward as mine did, that is an easy and free way to gain up to an inch (more if you extend the slots). IF the second gens have a shorter shaft and crossmember setting engine back, that would solve the mystery of the fan spacer/lack of and give you a cheap bolt in solution. if nobody here posts, ask over at VV. I think it was donavan that posted pics of the different crossmembers and shafts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooops....I too now remember a side-by-side pic of 1st vs 2nd gen crossmembers. The perch locations and pitch differences were very apparent. I see (too) the dual master upgrade isn't helping either. Sorry about my assumption.

User Tag List