Thread: Project Earlies

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Project Earlies

Hello,
    What could one expect to pay to get a g10 like this up to speed;up and running;body work? To my newbie eyes I would’nt pay more than $1200 for the van as is. Am I being unrealistic or is $3000 what earlies such as this are going for these days?
    thanks much for your help.
    g10guy

1966 Chevy other
    Last edited by G10guy; 11-20-2018 at 05:48 PM.

New Guy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Side doors missing, no engine and plenty of body work to keep you busy over the long winter nights. Not a 3K early to me. I think your dead on at 1500. Good luck!

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G10guy View Post
    Hello,
    What could one expect to pay to get a g10 like this up to speed;up and running;body work? To my newbie eyes I wouldínt pay more than $1200 for the van as is. Am I being unrealistic or is $3000 what earlies such as this are going for these days?
    thanks much for your help.
    g10guy

1966 Chevy other
    I think you are about right. I think it should run for $3000.00 unless the body is perfect. Besides the engine you are going to have to probable redo the brakes also.

Certifiable Vanatic Z-Machine (aka VanZack)'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timís64 View Post
    Side doors missing, no engine and plenty of body work to keep you busy over the long winter nights. Not a 3K early to me. I think your dead on at 1500. Good luck!
    The doors come with it. Two of them welded together to make into a gull-wing. If you want tires that are that big and wide in the rear, then it has been started for you. Otherwise, there is a lot of work to be done.
    1969 G10 108, 307 V8, TH350, 3.08 gears...for now...
    ...and the old 66...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

IMHO $750-$1200, not even a runner....runners are going for $3000-$5000...JM2C..I could be wrong...hehehe
    If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space..JM2C...hehehe
    Steve

1967 Chevy 90 "Space Truckin"
    350 SBC 260hp/ 350tq, MSD HEI, Holley 4150, Sanderson Block Hugger Headers, BowTie 700R4, 3:36 posi

1973 Chevy 110 "Orange Bang" w emphasis on the BANG :-)
    383 Stroker 440hp/ 480tq, MSD 6AL/ HEI, FiTech, Hooker Full length Headers, BowTie 700R4, 3:73/ Eaton Truetrac, "Cruiseaire" Original

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    I think you are about right. I think it should run for $3000.00 unless the body is perfect. Besides the engine you are going to have to probable redo the brakes also.
    Hey Mags,
    Not meaning to be disrespectful, just curious, how did you determine whether or not the brakes need to be redone?
    thanks,
    g10guy
    Last edited by G10guy; 11-21-2018 at 12:18 PM.

VCVC Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by G10guy View Post
    Hey Mags,
    Not meaning to be disrespectful, just curious, how do you determine whether or not the brakes need to be redone?
    thanks,
    g10guy
    I base it on the fact it looks like the motor has been like that for some time which means it hasnít moved so the brakes are either froze up or the master cylinder, wheel cylinders, flex lines or even the hard lines need replaced because they may be leaking . Any vehicle that has not been on the road for awhile should have the things I have listed checked. Stopping is just as important as moving.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Plus side it looks pretty solid. But it is a total project, figure on replacing everything either original parts or all custom. Figure in upgrading brakes right from the start. Your wide open on engine and cooling system. Plus side of this kind of project is you will not be going back to stock so do anything your heart desires to it. 3000 seems steep to me also for a starter but you if you don't have to spend a lot of time repairing rust... whats your time worth? All those systems it needs you can count with 1000$ bills. A total POS will run anywhere from 600 -1500 nowadays. Jm2C
    64 Project,65 Driver,66 Parts sorta

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's my take- unless you are a good judge of fabrication work, or know a good fabricator, or are a good fabricator yourself, I would walk away from any vehicle with major mods that is not driveable. If that rear wasn't installed true and square, you are going to have evil handling that may require major work to repair.

Here's a potential price list, assuming the current mods are done correctly:

Engine: $2000- $5000 for a crate motor, or $1000 for a running donor vehicle.

Trans: $1000 without a core, or included with above donor.

Wiring: $300- $500 if you can do it yourself, $1000+ for a pro to do it.

Body and paint: $0.00 to $30,000 depending on how far you want to take it.

Bare minimum to get it on the road: $3000 for van, $1000 for donor vehicle, $300 in wiring, $500 for complete brake update, $500 for the miscellaneous things you find as you go... $5300 for a van that you can drive a bit. Double that figure and you will probably be closer, every project I've ever done has cost twice as much as I thought it would.

Overall, you are the only one who can accurately assess your skills and budget. I trend towards the cheapo end of the spectrum, wait for deals, etc and my 68 is still not on the road after the 454 swap. I have $3500 invested in that swap so far- and trust me, that is bare bones cheap for a big-block/4L80E swap.

I'm not trying to discourage you, just being realistic. I see far too many people go into a project with high hopes, only to be crushed when the reality sets in that they would have been far better off to start with a clean runner than someone else's cast off project.
    Gregg Groff

There's no place like 127.0.0.1

1968 Chevy G20 108 panel Now with 454 power!

1965 Chevy G10 panel- OHC Pontiac inline 6

Van Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanner68 View Post
    Here's my take- unless you are a good judge of fabrication work, or know a good fabricator, or are a good fabricator yourself, I would walk away from any vehicle with major mods that is not driveable. If that rear wasn't installed true and square, you are going to have evil handling that may require major work to repair.

Here's a potential price list, assuming the current mods are done correctly:

Engine: $2000- $5000 for a crate motor, or $1000 for a running donor vehicle.

Trans: $1000 without a core, or included with above donor.

Wiring: $300- $500 if you can do it yourself, $1000+ for a pro to do it.

Body and paint: $0.00 to $30,000 depending on how far you want to take it.

Bare minimum to get it on the road: $3000 for van, $1000 for donor vehicle, $300 in wiring, $500 for complete brake update, $500 for the miscellaneous things you find as you go... $5300 for a van that you can drive a bit. Double that figure and you will probably be closer, every project I've ever done has cost twice as much as I thought it would.

Overall, you are the only one who can accurately assess your skills and budget. I trend towards the cheapo end of the spectrum, wait for deals, etc and my 68 is still not on the road after the 454 swap. I have $3500 invested in that swap so far- and trust me, that is bare bones cheap for a big-block/4L80E swap.

I'm not trying to discourage you, just being realistic. I see far too many people go into a project with high hopes, only to be crushed when the reality sets in that they would have been far better off to start with a clean runner than thatsomeone else's cast off project.
    Hey Vanner68,
    thanks so much.
    Assuming I get a van that’s in good shape, body-wise, would you say $5000.00 can get me up to par mechanically? As far as Engine,trans,wiring etc etc goes? Also what would you put first? Invest in engine first or trans?
    thanks again
    g10guy
    Last edited by G10guy; 11-23-2018 at 03:55 PM.

User Tag List